Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it even worth getting into reloading 9mm minor right now?

ColoradoNick

Currently shooting 147gr bullets making 139pf for $0.24 a round. I'd like to get back into reloading for a little more control (I used to reload rifle hunting rounds) but sold all of my equipment. Looking at Dillon XL 750 and die lead times of 42+ weeks does it make sense? I also keep reading about how it's impossible to find primers, powder, etc. My wife and I shoot about 500 rounds a week so we're spending about $500/mo in ammo. 😬

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It costs me more to reload than buying rounds right now. However, I like to shoot JHP to prevent compensator fouling. This and being able to dial in my loads make it worth the ~5 cent per round premium.

However, if all my guns were uncompensated, then I would just buy the cheapest CCI Blazer.

Current breakdown of my minor loads at replacement cost:

• Brass - 5.8 cp (Blazer headstamp fully processed from A+ Brass)
  • Powder - 3.0 cp (4.5 gr N340)
  • Bullet - 9.5 cp (PD 124 gr JHP V2)
  • Primer - 11.0 cp (CCI 500/550)
  • Total of 28.3 cpr

I'm loading .40 sw right now for 18-19 cents per round. Factor in the cheaper cost of 9mm bullets you should be able to get around the 16-17 cents per range right now. 

Primers aren't as expensive as they were (most recently paid 8.5 cents per) and much, much easier to find. Join the reloading discord to find components. 

I'm at .18-.19/round, process my own brass.  

At 2K/month that is a $120 savings.  Of course there is your time, and the reloading components. If you have the time for the former and can buy the latter, you can recoup the costs fairly quickly if you sustain that rate of consumption each month. 

That's before getting into being able to have full control of your cartridge, which is also a major advantage over factory ammunition. 

Primers are the main issue right now.  A month or two ago I could find limited primers(I use Federal) but in the past month there's been absolutely nothing other than large Magnum primers at the 3 local-ish places I frequent.  I am having to cut back on my live fire because I am almost out of primers and can't find any currently.  Online sources seem to be massively overpriced if they happen to have stock. 

Edited by DirtyB

If 9mm rounds are less than 25 cents a round they are a bargain...

if you are getting all new components.  new brass is ... more than 15 cents

and so on....

if you are using brass you own.... and cast your own bullets the cost of lead and melt at 3 ish

that leaves primers and powder... at 8 cents and 4 cents

for approx 15 cents a round  

not sure the best way to include dies and press wear and how many time you could reload a case

I counted the savings until that savings matched the price of the press and ignored it after that.

I think reloading offers access to better accuracy in that you can create ammo suited to your needs.

miranda

For a new shooter shooting normal 9mm, hell no.

Canadian prices are higher (as usual)

New 9mm .45c

For reloading

Brass is 11.3

Primer .12-.14

Lead .13

powder .3?

=.39c and then you need to buy a press plus your time.

For me I'll never pay off my Evo but I load 38SC for open  and a hybrid .358 round in a 9mm case for revo shooting.  and my wife shoots too so I got fed up of pulling a handle.

ya kno what MikeyScuba says is rather good. 

I want to add that should you collect your brass for a while,

you will have good brass for when primers roll back a bit from the high prices.

then the reloading may be worth the efforts and savings...

new to shooting? yeah, skip the reloading under current circumstances.

miranda.

40 minutes ago, Miranda said:

miranda.

Yea I know I will get there eventually. I've been keep brass for the last month or so. 

5 hours ago, Miranda said:

miranda.

Good advice. Once loaded ammo falls below the average price to reload, Primers will begin to come down.

On 2/15/2023 at 3:28 PM, CClassForLife said:

It costs me more to reload than buying rounds right now. However, I like to shoot JHP to prevent compensator fouling. This and being able to dial in my loads make it worth the ~5 cent per round premium.

However, if all my guns were uncompensated, then I would just buy the cheapest CCI Blazer.

Current breakdown of my minor loads at replacement cost:

• Brass - 5.8 cp (Blazer headstamp fully processed from A+ Brass)
  • Powder - 3.0 cp (4.5 gr N340)
  • Bullet - 9.5 cp (PD 124 gr JHP V2)
  • Primer - 11.0 cp (CCI 500/550)
  • Total of 28.3 cpr

Exactly this...but my reloads are so much softer, I think I'm prepared to pay more to load a better round.

13 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

What's the standard for an at home loading press for 9mm? When I reloaded 30.06 previously I used the RCBS kit press. I'd like something a little faster than that for 9mm.... 

I vote for a progressive press in blue.  There's a Dillon 750 for sale in the classifieds.

Edited by SnipTheDog

ah what type of press....

price performance?   I got a 650.  it is so nice I have not purchased another press.

that does mean that if a lock-n-six-packer is a great press ...

I have not run one.  

I do know the 650 is waaaay better than a turret by lee.

miranda

On 2/15/2023 at 12:18 PM, ColoradoNick said:

Looking at Dillon XL 750 and die lead times of 42+ weeks does it make sense?

I started loading in volume when primers were cheap and coated bullets were a nickel or less, even then I made it clear reloading for 9MM and low round count does not really save money. 

I reload for two reasons, I like the hobby, the equipment and I get the ammo I want. On average I load around 20K+ 9mm, 5K 223/5.56, and about 2K of various other calibers a year. Most active competitors I know reload simple because of the volume of shooting they do and they get consistent ammo at the PF their guns need.

Reloading rifle rounds on a single stage press will save money. However, again it's really not just about saving money it's getting precision ammo that works in the gun.

If the decision is based on "saving money," just buy factory ammo and avoid the hours of exploration and process involved with reloading.

Just be warned you will miss out on all those discussions about powders, primers, brass, bullets and hassles experienced in the hobby.

It cost me .17 cents a round to reload 9mm so, $17.00 per hundred. That's a pretty good savings around here.

Some say you need to include your time! Now if that's the case I'm saving lots of money as I enjoy reloading. Most thigs I enjoy as a hobby cost money, this one saves money.

My reloading gear has been paid for for a while so I don't include that in the per round cost. Not sure how the op is buying 147gr for $12.00 per 50, but that's a good price, or so it seems.

24 cents a round is a decent price for 9mm - I started reloading a few years ago with Dillion 750XL (Ammo price was up at 30 cents a round). I don't regret getting into reloading enjoy it! Right now I can reload 9mm for 19 to 21 cents a round. I do not purchase bass / I reload used brass from the range. So the components needed are bullets, primers, and powder. The other factor to be considered is "YOUR TIME" reloading. I don't mind the time (especially recently - now "retired"). 

I listen to podcasts as I reload - so I'm getting educated, finding out the truth, and realizing how we're BS'd everyday by MSM. So its been a Win - Win for me!

I strictly reload 9mm. It would save you $$$ - but factor in your time also.

Edited by WDG710

10 minutes ago, WDG710 said:

24 cents a round is a decent price for 9mm - I started reloading a few years ago with Dillion 750XL (Ammo price was up at 30 cents a round). I don't regret getting into reloading enjoy it! Right now I can reload 9mm for 19 to 21 cents a round. I do not purchase bass / I reload used brass from the range. So the components needed are bullets, primers, and powder. The other factor to be considered is "YOUR TIME" reloading. I don't mind the time (especially recently - now "retired"). 

I listen to podcasts as I reload - so I'm getting educated, finding out the truth, and realizing how we're BS'd everyday by MSM. So its been a Win - Win for me!

I strictly reload 9mm. It would save you $$$ - but factor in your time also.

I'm mainly interested in it for "guaranteeing" a supply of consistent ammo. I have an 18 month old and a wife who works full time. I enjoyed reloading rifle rounds with a single stage but unfortunately I don't have that time anymore 🤣

If time is more important than money, than maybe you should also look at the Dillon 1050/1100 or the Rev7 line up.  Frankfort Arsenal is putting out a 10 station press soon I hear.  With the 1050/1100's, a new caliber will cost around $500 all in with a new tool head.  With the 750's, the cost is half that I think.

I've reloaded on everything ranging from single stage, to turret, to Lee progressive (don't ever buy that thing), to a Dillon 650 and now am running a 1050 with bullet feeder but no auto drive. 

Back in the day I used to cast lead bullets for free because my local indoor range was all too happy to have a young 20-something kid do their lead abatement for them :)  I was reloading for the price of a primer + powder, literally like .05c per round at the time. 

Now the game has changed, but the fact of the matter is I still shoot enough volume to easily justify the currently thinner margins. 

I'm far gone from the days of casting and coating my own bullets. I'm more in the .18c per round territory at this point. 

If you're going to get into reloading, and you shoot a lot of volume, start properly and buy a progressive press. Save yourself all the hassle I went through of slowly upgrading expensive gear over time. 

I say just take a little time and start getting set up to reload.  Don't rush out and buy everything at once at current prices. I'm not saying that prices will be what they used to be but eventually they will bottom out at whatever level will then be normal. Then you will be able to save money and be ready for future ammo/component shortages.

I have a 650 that I use for 40, but i reload everything else (9mm, 38sc, 45) on a 550. It's not as fast, but it's MUCH easier and quicker to switch calibers, and it's fast enough. I can easily load 300+ rounds in an hour including sipping my coffee or beer, refilling primer tubes, etc....

OTOH, 24 cents a round is pretty cheap if you like the rounds. i've paid anywhere from 7.5 cents each to 12 cents each for primers in the last 6 months, so I'm loading 9mm for 15-20 cents/round. One thing I like about it tho is that all the rounds feel the same, which makes it easier to shoot quickly and accurately.

As mhicks advises above, it is probably wise to gradually start getting stuff and learning to reload, even if you continue to buy the remanufactured ammo you like.

9 Major & Minor is worth reloading. Its all about searching for deals and buying in bulk.

9 Major - 124 JHP - 7.2 WAC - 1.165 OAL - 173 PF

• Brass - Free (Range pick up)
  • Primer - $65-$85 / K (Whatever is available)
  • Powder - $27.00 / K - $240 for 8 lb jug of Autocomp at Powder Valley (7.2 of WAC)
  • Projectile - $88/K shipped (Current bulk pricing for Precision Delta 124 JHP)
  • 9 Major Price Per Round = $.18-$.20 ($180-$200/K)
    • Cheapest 9 Major Shipped right now is $412 Shipped from Black Dot Ammunition.
    • 51%-56% Savings for 9 Major.

9 Minor - 115 Plated RN - 4.3 Titegroup - 1.110 OAL - 132 PF

• Brass - Free (Range pick up)
  • Primer - $65-$85 / K (Whatever is available)
  • Powder - $14.18 / K - $211 for 8 lb jug of Titegroup at Powder Valley (4.3 of WAC)
  • Projectile - $79.50/K shipped (Current bulk pricing for Everglades Plated 115 RN)
  • 9 Minor Price Per Round = $.17-.19 ($168.68 - $188.68 /K)
    • Cheapest 9 Minor Shipped right now is $235 Shipped from LAX Ammo (Freedom Munitions).
    • 20%-28% Savings for 9 Minor.

These figures are based off the current pricing as of 2/26/23. Im sitting on a lot of components from pre-covid. My true cost currently is closer to $.12/for 9 Major and $.10/for 9 Minor. It pays to buy for the future when you are a competitive shooter. Much like investing... dollar cost averaging is your friend.

Edited by Maximis228