Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it even worth getting into reloading 9mm minor right now?

ColoradoNick

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BJB said:

@sloppyrice,

From what you detail above, I would suggest a simple single-stage press. A lot of guys will suggest a progressive press, and yes, progressive presses can produce a lot more, but that isn't your goal. With your above stated metrics in mind I would suggest you look at a single-stage press reloading kit from RCBS as these kits have much of what you need to get started. 

I did see this RCBC press on sale, looks pretty good - but would have to augment the kit

https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-kits/rock-chucker-supreme-and-uniflow-powder-measure-kit/rcbs-rock-chucker-uniflow.html

Edited by sloppyrice

54 minutes ago, sloppyrice said:

I did see this RCBC press on sale, looks pretty good - but would have to augment the kit

https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-kits/rock-chucker-supreme-and-uniflow-powder-measure-kit/rcbs-rock-chucker-uniflow.html

That press would do just fine for your stated goals.  You can seat primers on it and not have to buy the hand primer.  You can buy a cheap digital caliper and digital scale for about $30-$40 each online.  When measuring powder to set your Uniflow drop do groups of ten drops and get the average.  RCBS sells a 3-die set for 9mm, get the carbide.  The seat/crimp die is one die, but I suggest do the seating & crimping as two separate steps.....just back the seating stem out when doing the crimp.  No need to trim or de-bur 9mm, but you might want to get a de-crimping tool for small pistol primer pockets in case you get ahold of some crimped military brass.  Also, think of how you'll clean your brass prior to loading.  Most use some sort of tumbler but that isn't a must for small amounts of brass.  A case gauge isn't a must for small amounts either as you can gauge the reloaded rounds in the G19 chamber itself after removing the barrel from the gun.  A loading block would probably be handy when using a single-stage.

I don't know what you have available in your neck of the woods but if you are going to plan on reloading you really need to look at acquiring your reloading components right now.  Looks like there may be another interruption in the supply chain for reloading components, especially powder, according to several sources.....at least here in the States. 

2 hours ago, BJB said:

I suggest do the seating & crimping as two separate steps.....just back the seating stem out when doing the crimp.  No need to trim or de-bur 9mm, but you might want to get a de-crimping tool for small pistol primer pockets in case you get ahold of some crimped military brass. 

Thanks for the wealth of info.

Do you need to crimp for 9mm rounds? I've run across some folks saying yes / others no.

A single stage is nice for small lots of ammo. It is also great for depriming before loading on a progressive. Keeps a lot of junk out of the press.

I use mine sometimes for swaging primer pockets and sometimes even load rifle on it. RCBS JR. that I got for Christmas in 1977!

I also use a Lee Turret for 100 - 200 round lots of "sometimes" ammo; 44 Mag, 357 Mag, 38 Spec. and such.

Can't go wrong with a single stage!

15 hours ago, sloppyrice said:

Way off topic and you'd be better off doing a search or starting a  new thread.

That said, I would not recommend a press like that for anyone shooting 9mm and the like.

With those S-L-O-W does not even begin to describe it, I'd get a Square Deal B if 9mm is all you reload and you want to keep costs down. Do a search on Youtube so you at least have an idea what you are getting into.

On 12/12/2023 at 3:02 PM, sloppyrice said:

Do you need to crimp for 9mm rounds? I've run across some folks saying yes / others no.

More than likely, yes, you'll need to crimp because you'll probably need to flare the case when seating.

If you use lead, coated lead, or plated then you'll have to flare the case to prevent scraping during seating so you'll then taper crimp.  If you use jacketed then the bullet shape will determine if you can get away without flaring.  I would think you'd need a bevel base jacketed bullet as any other base might have troubling sitting on the case mouth as you go to seat and can buckle the case mouth a little.  I flare and then crimp all my pistol rounds regardless of bullet used.  Not much flare is required, just enough for the bullet to sit without toppling and to avoid scraping during seating......  0.385" or so. 

I do not flare/crimp .223 and .308 as I use boat tail bullets.  They sit very nicely in the case mouth during seating. 

• 3 months later...

Depends on how you look at it.   My current load is a Hornady 125 grain HAP over 4.8 grains of N330 to 1.125" using fully processed brass.  This costs me around 26 cents a round.  Can I buy factory ammo for less, yes.  But if I want to buy a round that is similar to what I'm loading, it will be at 50+ cents a round from Atlanta Arms or Staccato.  

11 hours ago, mfaith said:

With the cost of components now it will take quite a while to recap the cost of a new press and accessories.

If a person only loaded 115gn for 9mm pistols it would indeed be a long payback. 

If you wanted to load something like 77gn 5.56 you could ROI in a few thousand rounds and the 9mm loading would be done on paid off equipment. 😃 

On 12/1/2023 at 9:50 AM, mmc45414 said:

Time is always discussed as if all time is the same 😎

Frequently people mention things they would rather be doing, like going to the range, and I can assure folks that I have never not gone to the range to stay home and reload, but many times I have not watched television.  And like mentioned, I only rarely reload for consecutive hours at a time.  Now with the RL1100/MBF I might stop by the press for just a few minutes, but that means maybe ~300 rounds. 

And equipment probably factors in.  A good friend hates to reload, and will not reload 9mm, but he has never upgraded from his two SDBs.  I did a bunch on 550s, then evolved to 650s, then added the MBF, then took the RL1100 plunge.  Nothing wrong with the SDB but if that was all I had I would be buying 9mm ammo.

And ROI needs to include a residual value.  When I got the first 650 I sold one of the 550s I had used enough that I am sure it had been paid off.  When I got the 1100 I sold one of the 650s I am pretty sure I had used enough to pay off.  So I am probably already break-even on it, since I could quickly sell it for at least 60% of what I paid for it. 

no but I have gone to the range to shoot because I needed empty brass..

At one time componenets were so cheap, even if it was a bit more it wasnt enough to worry about so I simply reloaded 9mm..  With the rise of mail order bulk ammo cutting out alot of middle men, even before covid it was just easier to order bulk 9mm.. Granted I didnt shoot alot of 9mm.
My step son wanted me to teach him to reload, looked at the price of powder primer and bullets, and case price of ammo and it really wasnt worth it.
I save my componenets for the stuff where it savers alot to load, or factory ammo just doesnt work out.
remington bulk 147's seem to run pretty well and are my preferd 9mm loads.

I reload 9's because:

1) I had the equipment on hand.  All I needed were dies and a shell holder.

2) I can dial up the loads I like.   124 grain HiTek bullets for the most part.

3) I like to reload.  Gives me something to do on cold winter days too.  Us retired bums need activities like this. :)

4) It gives me a great deal of satisfaction to see my product work well.   

5) Otherwise, we would be walking on a  sea of 9mm brass in our bays if I didn't pick up the stuff. 

Does it make economic sense?  Barely.   It's just a fun hobby for me. 

2 hours ago, mmc45414 said:

If a person only loaded 115gn for 9mm pistols it would indeed be a long payback. 

If you wanted to load something like 77gn 5.56 you could ROI in a few thousand rounds and the 9mm loading would be done on paid off equipment. 😃 

Good point

On 4/5/2024 at 5:52 AM, mmc45414 said:

This exactly. I got into reloading because I could load 75gr/77gr .223 for far cheaper than I could buy it. Dabbled in a little 9mm major and same thing, I could load for about half of buying. I've more than paid off my equipment investments at this point between 75gr .223, 9mm major, and 6.5 creedmoor. I like loading my own 9mm minor match ammo because I know it's very consistent and it shoots very well, however no way I would start from scratch and invest in the components and equipment if the goal was just 9mm minor at reduced cost. If you value your time at all its cheaper to buy it 9/10 times. 

Now if you enjoy reloading as a separate hobby, or plan to load other ammo with better load vs buy margins, then it might be worth it for "fun", but you're not saving any real money right now loading 9mm.

• 3 weeks later...