Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullets - which to buy?

Ontarget

I have shot just about every bullet available. I use to just buy from Zero but they got too expensive and never in stock.

I started buying from Bayou when they first started and have used probably 10 other coated bullet companies and all have been pretty good.

Lately RMR, Blue Bullets and Boudreau's have been the ones I buy the most.

RMR is just about as cheap as coated and with W231 and Shooters World Clean Shot, coated are really smokey, especially under certain weather conditions or indoors.

I recently bought a jug of N330 and curious if I will notice less smoke.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, oldfrank said:

I have shot just about every bullet available. I use to just buy from Zero but they got too expensive and never in stock.

I started buying from Bayou when they first started and have used probably 10 other coated bullet companies and all have been pretty good.

Lately RMR, Blue Bullets and Boudreau's have been the ones I buy the most.

RMR is just about as cheap as coated and with W231

Yep agree 100%.

Bayou bullets have been doing coated bullets before most people had even heard of coated bullets. I have hade 2” groups at 50 yard with my revolver off sand bags.  I use them in my ruger pcc and put 15,000 through my shadow 2. 
They are cast from certified 92/6/2 alloy with a Brinell hardness of 16-17

100% non abrasive and contains no PTFE 

The coating is very slick so I usually get a few more feet per second with the same powder charge. 
If I  have a question I can call and talk to the owner Dennis Olsen. When I call he usually working himself making the bullets but has always taken time to talk or get back to me in a short time.  
Great bullets and great people. 

8 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

Bayou bullets have been doing coated bullets before most people had even heard of coated bullets. I have hade 2” groups at 50 yard with my revolver off sand bags.  I use them in my ruger pcc and put 15,000 through my shadow 2. 
They are cast from certified 92/6/2 alloy with a Brinell hardness of 16-17

100% non abrasive and contains no PTFE 

The coating is very slick so I usually get a few more feet per second with the same powder charge. 
If I  have a question I can call and talk to the owner Dennis Olsen. When I call he usually working himself making the bullets but has always taken time to talk or get back to me in a short time.  
Great bullets and great people. 

100%! I started shooting Bayou when Donnie Miculek ran it. The coating was green and smelled like burning hair! I ordered one night online around 8:00 and Donnie called me to make sure I wanted non-cannelure bullets for 38. I told him I was taper crimping so it was all good. He is a great guy and we spoke often.

The newer coating is primo and I still shoot a lot of Bayou. Can't go wrong there!

I've started (sortof) Bearcreek supply.  They sponsored the WRC and I got myself a sample pack and have ordered a few cases.  A 170 (more like 171-172gr) .358 is hard to beat.  Nothing against bayou as they got me out of a jam Ibeji put me in but their 160 is the same price as Bearcreek's 170.  

It's a shame Ibeji has gone to ****.  Their 165 was a few cents cheaper than anyone.

Have been using Bayou for awhile, their 145 RN  which weigh 146 .358's in 38 short colt.  But gonna try Blue's this time. They have a buy 750 with shipping included discount,, came out a few cents cheaper than Bayou unless you order a case.. I take it easy on the mail lady and dont order that many at a time..
The Blues are advertised as 147's  we shall see. So far it seems most of these hiteks weigh a gr more than advertised

I have used a lot of Bear Creek bullets and they were slick, fast, and accurate.   I tried Bayou bullets and really liked them as they smoked less than Bear Creek.  Zero 147 gr JHP’s are extremely accurate but not cheap.  I have been shooting RMR & Precision Delta JHP’s and TC bullets with both being very accurate and prices are very reasonable.

I recently got some Summit City bullets to try but haven’t yet.  Being mostly retired I find I don’t have time to get things done, or maybe I’m slowing down a lot.  

Did I already post this? A few years ago I did a test with four or five different 160 grain bullets.

Accuracy at 25, two hands, double action. No difference.

Chrono, very little difference.

I concluded, at least for me, I bought the ones that loaded easiest, and were the cheapest.

11 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I've started (sortof) Bearcreek supply.  They sponsored the WRC and I got myself a sample pack and have ordered a few cases.  A 170 (more like 171-172gr) .358 is hard to beat.  Nothing against bayou as they got me out of a jam Ibeji put me in but their 160 is the same price as Bearcreek's 170.  

It's a shame Ibeji has gone to ****.  Their 165 was a few cents cheaper than anyone.

What's the current issue with Ibeji?  I've used their .45 and 9mm bullets in the past and was planning to switch back (to their 138gr 9mm) next time I order bullets.

On 6/28/2024 at 9:49 PM, rifleman777 said:

Recently switched from Missouri Bullet 147gr FP to same bullet from Summit City, excellent quality and accuracy.  Took advantage of a 14% off sale with free shipping…….Great Deal!

I made that same switch about a year ago. Very happy with Summit City

5 minutes ago, njl said:

That was more than a year ago. Are they still having trouble keeping up with orders? 

I currently have an outstanding order with Ibejiheads from January. E-mails and phone calls are now ignored. Last communication with them was early May and I was told my order should reach me by late May. Nothing arrived and nothing from them but silence. Look elsewhere for bullets. 

1 minute ago, MikeyScuba said:

I ordered 8 cases in January from Ibeji.  I have 3 cases (in july) and the other 5?  Sometime this year I've been told.

I ordered from Blue Bullets recently. I had them in a week.

No complaints after shooting many thousands of SNS and a few thousand Bayou. If you call SNS and ask for 10,000 you get a better deal, if you meet them at one of the USPSA matches they deliver to (Illinois/Indiana general area) you get a better deal yet. 

21 hours ago, BJB said:

I currently have an outstanding order with Ibejiheads from January. E-mails and phone calls are now ignored. Last communication with them was early May and I was told my order should reach me by late May. Nothing arrived and nothing from them but silence. Look elsewhere for bullets. 

That sucks. I really like their 138gr 9mm. Do they at least not charge your card until about the time the order is fulfilled?  I don’t mind waiting for supplies, but I don’t want to pay months in advance for a product that might never arrive. 

Edited by njl

11 hours ago, njl said:

That sucks. I really like their 138gr 9mm. Do they at least not charge your card until about the time the order is fulfilled?  I don’t mind waiting for supplies, but I don’t want to may months in advance for a product that might never arrive. 

Did you read the posts in that thread?  They charge your card when you order, they always have.  Last year I waited 2 months.  Not a big deal since I plan ahead.  I tried ordering a month ago and both their non-paypal options failed.  I e-amiled them.  I didn't hear back until a month later, they told me to use the paypal option.  People are waiting 6-8 months now.

FWIW, Holding a card to bill at shipping time is difficult and risky for small businesses these days, the PCI people made it that way on purpose.

well,  you have options.  I see lee 6 hole molds are

available and at 3 bucks a pound for lead,

that has bullets at 5 cents for lead costs,

as many as you want,  six at a time.

the casting start up cost... is less than a cheap press.

the powder coating, costs I don't know

I learned it as a back-up option.

so I can understand buying bullets, as the savings look small.

I understand the automated casting machines are a reasonable cost.

buuut a forklift may be needed to feed it.

miranda

15 hours ago, Miranda said:

well,  you have options.  I see lee 6 hole molds are

available and at 3 bucks a pound for lead,

that has bullets at 5 cents for lead costs,

as many as you want,  six at a time.

the casting start up cost... is less than a cheap press.

the powder coating, costs I don't know

I learned it as a back-up option.

so I can understand buying bullets, as the savings look small.

I understand the automated casting machines are a reasonable cost.

buuut a forklift may be needed to feed it.

miranda

I think casting is a hobby unto itself,, there's a forum for it..
And a sub hobby of that is scrounging free lead , there is a reason the old manuals all list "linotype" bullets,,  that was surplus form all the town printing presses. After that it was wheel weights, now that isnt given away as often..
I looked into casting and found that unless you have a free source of lead it doesnt make alot of sense.