Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers prices

usmc1974

I keep watching factory ammo prices dropping in my daily emails. I have to believe it will trickle down to reloading components eventually. I looked at my 650 last week, and it was covered in dust and cobwebs.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, OPENB said:

I have to believe it will trickle down to reloading components eventually

Maybe, but what I have noticed is getting USA made primers is very difficult in any sort volume. Until CCI, Federal, Winchester start pumping out primers for the reloading market the prices won't come down.

35 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I can go into retail stores now and there is typically some sort of Primer sitting on the shelves.  Things are getting better.

I get in stock notifications for primers several times a day now on the discord server. Price has gone from 11-12 cents per shipped down to <9 and continuing to drop. Things are most definitely getting better 

On 11/23/2022 at 1:18 PM, CC3D said:

I get in stock notifications for primers several times a day now on the discord server. Price has gone from 11-12 cents per shipped down to <9 and continuing to drop. Things are most definitely getting better 

Hi. What discord server is this?

On 11/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, Boomstick303 said:

I can go into retail stores now and there is typically some sort of Primer sitting on the shelves.  Things are getting better.

I've seen primers in retail stores. But at $125-$130/1K, they're no bargain.

7 hours ago, Cowguy said:

In eastern Iowa you can find primers for 9 cents plus tax. Usually CCI but sometimes other brands but all US brands. They used to sell immediately but now they stay on the shelves.

A’yup!

my local Academy Sports had bricks of Winchester. (Olin) #41 primers on Saturday night.  They were selling them by the “slip”. So they had cut …eerrr….ripped the top and side flaps off the brick boxes:

2CEEC9E6-64A5-425D-ADC5-A9F56BD87F85.thumb.jpeg.7e0a311fe1e536f8f1efe2d7371d0666.jpeg

Sooooo…for $194.81 out the door, I added two more bricks to my collection.

It is the first time I have seen bricks at Academy since 2019.

I would like to think it is a good sign…. That maybe things are getting closer to normal.

6 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

A’yup!

my local Academy Sports had bricks of Winchester. (Olin) #41 primers on Saturday night.  They were selling them by the “slip”. So they had cut …eerrr….ripped the top and side flaps off the brick boxes:

2CEEC9E6-64A5-425D-ADC5-A9F56BD87F85.thumb.jpeg.7e0a311fe1e536f8f1efe2d7371d0666.jpeg

Sooooo…for $194.81 out the door, I added two more bricks to my collection.

It is the first time I have seen bricks at Academy since 2019.

I would like to think it is a good sign…. That maybe things are getting closer to normal.

Very very very hard to strike on the pistol primers. Got for my open gun and after realizing that I have to change  hammer and hammer spring, sold to my friend who actually reloads 5.56

On 11/26/2022 at 1:43 PM, Postal Bob said:

I've seen primers in retail stores. But at $125-$130/1K, they're no bargain.

Prices at retail is the current market of 9-10 cents a primer for the most part.  

Occasionally you will see them higher, but at the higher prices they tend to sit on the shelf a lot longer.  9-10 cents seems to be the threshold of pain currently.  At least in our local area.

14 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Am I thinking back wrong but 
Didn’t the individual sleeves say not for individual sale or something like that. 
I know I remember seeing something like  that. 

I took pics of both the front and back of a  “slip”.  There is nothing printed on them that says “not for individual sale”.

I also took a pic of the brick’s bottom.

But this forum’s 1.95Mb size limit won’t let me post them.

Nothing printed there either

But the slip and the brick have two different barcodes on them.

So that leads me to believe that if Olin didn’t want the individual slips to be sold, then they would NOT have printed a bar code on each slip.

13 hours ago, Murzikrv said:

Very very very hard to strike on the pistol primers. Got for my open gun and after realizing that I have to change  hammer and hammer spring, sold to my friend who actually reloads 5.56

I have plenty of regular Winchester Small Rifle primers that I could use in 9mm or .40S&W ….if I really had to.

These Winchester #41 ‘s will go into .223 rifle rounds (both bolt and AR)

I purchased Federal Magnum small pistol primers for $5.75/100 and CCI Small Rifle primers for $6.75/100 at a local retailer yesterday.  It seems price changes might be coming sooner than later.  At least it seems there is evidence it is possible.  

I just paid 480.30 OTD for win SPP 5k brick. .09c/ea. I'm ok with that. And actually wish I could find more of the ginex SPP. I really like them. They are thinner then any USA ones, seat great, always go bang and I can seat them really deep. So far I've used 12k plus between a 2011 open gun, tanfo stock 2, CZ A01. 

Edited by Bakerjd
Missed a 0 before the decimal.

5 hours ago, CC3D said:

I am either bad at math or thats 9.6 cents each.. 

Or I'm bad at writing it out in decimals. Would .1c be 10/100 of a dollar or would 0.1c 1/100th of a dollar? 

Either way they were about 9cent each. 

.0          .00          .000

^             ^                ^

Tenths,  Hundreds. Thous. 
🙂
.1 is a dime or 1/10 of a dollar. 
.01 is 1/100 of a dollar or a penny.

Either way it takes allot more of both nowadays. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

18 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

And actually wish I could find more of the ginex SPP. I really like them. They are thinner then any USA ones, seat great, always go bang and I can seat them really deep. So far I've used 12k plus between a 2011 open gun, tanfo stock 2, CZ A01. 

my local hardware store has ginex primers. For me they are a little harder to seat than other primers, and a little harder than CCI, but ive still been buying them at 9 cents each.

17 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Or I'm bad at writing it out in decimals. Would .1c be 10/100 of a dollar or would 0.1c 1/100th of a dollar? 

Either way they were about 9cent each. 

480.3 dollars divided by 5000 primers will give you the dollars per primer. multiply by 100 to get cents per primer. 

$480 / 5000 = $.096 

$.096 * 100 = 9.6 cents per primer

So no, about 10 cents each not 9 cents each- if you're going to round that drastically lol

On 11/28/2022 at 7:08 AM, Murzikrv said:

You need to get the extended firing pin.   All of my STI open guns set off Mag Tech Small Rifle primers and they are the hardest of the lot.  Yes those triggers break at 1.75.  My CZ on the other hand won't even put a dent in them, nor will my tupper ware open gun (Glock).

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend's gunshow, I bought 2 sleeves of primers. 5000 CCI SPP that were in black and white boxes marked Commercial Use, Non-Plated. They were shiny brass colored, not dull like Winchester. I gave $85/1000 for them. Then I found the Holy Grail, Federal SPP. Those were $100/1000, but it's been years since I've seen any for sale around here.