Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for USPSA

Chapo

Guys my problem is not with accuracy, although I could be much better with dot acquisition.  My issue is with forgetting to shoot targets.  Maybe I run past a window and forget there were 4 targets there.  I cannot be the only one with this problem.  How or what do you do in your mind to ensure you cover all targets? any mental drill? lol

I used to have this problem, well have it less. What helped me is walking the stage. And walk it again. And again. If I’m not first up, watch some one else shoot it not for their plan, but see what they are shooting at. Then go paste targets so I become more familiar with the COF.

Read the WSB, pay attention to the round count. Walk the stage and count the targets and make sure these numbers match. If not, you forgot one. 
After that set your plan, and review it 100 times until it's your time to shoot. You should be able to close your eyes and run through the entire stage in your head at that point. Most new people don't walk the stages enough. Maybe they think they are in the way of other people or something, I dunno, but I see it all the time. The worst shooters at the match will walk a stage once, think "I'm good", then go stink it up....I wonder why. 

Steve Anderson is your friend.  Look him up, or any other accomplished USPSA shooter that discusses the mental part of memorizing a stage.  There are steps, and there is material out there.  On this forum and else where.  Its time to put in the work.  

14 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Great advice.  Will definitely do more walks before it begins.  Comit it to muscle memory

More walks help, but the other key is to make sure that you’ve actually accounted for all the targets. 

What I do is listen to the stage briefing, then read the written stage briefing to see the round count, and number/types of targets. Then, before I start my walkthroughs, I find all the targets and make sure I’ve accounted for the correct numbers. 

If it’s a “memory” stage where the presentations are confusing and it can be difficult to avoid double counting targets, I will sometimes walk by the targets to count them instead of trying to do it from the shooting positions. 

2 hours ago, DKorn said:

More walks help, but the other key is to make sure that you’ve actually accounted for all the targets. 

What I do is listen to the stage briefing, then read the written stage briefing to see the round count, and number/types of targets. Then, before I start my walkthroughs, I find all the targets and make sure I’ve accounted for the correct numbers. 

If it’s a “memory” stage where the presentations are confusing and it can be difficult to avoid double counting targets, I will sometimes walk by the targets to count them instead of trying to do it from the shooting positions. 

great advice thanks

I play suduko and push for speed. expert levels are best where you have to look for and use lots of different algorithms to solve the puzzles.  Playing hearts against the computer helps with memory.  Caffeine before and during a match helps with focus. 

I get to the local matches at least an hour before to walk stages and develop stage plans - typically by myself. Its a good skill to develop, but I will steal an idea or two during this time.

Once our squad takes the stage I avoid watching others shoot the stage before I shoot so I don't get tempted to borrow theirs.

15 hours ago, Chapo said:

Great advice.  Will definitely do more walks before it begins.  Comit it to muscle memory

Patch more. And don't always patch the same front targets. Sometimes looking back can help you spot something. Just don't be that guy who carries patches, does a walk through after every shooter and then discovers... "oh all the targets are patched, I missed out on patching". You'd be suprised how often that can happen 🙂 

On 6/22/2022 at 10:29 AM, Chapo said:

Guys my problem is not with accuracy, although I could be much better with dot acquisition.  My issue is with forgetting to shoot targets.  Maybe I run past a window and forget there were 4 targets there.  I cannot be the only one with this problem.  How or what do you do in your mind to ensure you cover all targets? any mental drill? lol

Show up early before the match so as to get your mind prepared

If you are not getting to the match at least an hour early to walk stages you are already behind.

You should have a stage plan in your head for each stage prior to the shooters meeting at the start of a match.

If you are waiting until after the match starts and then relying on the 5 minute walk through after the stage briefing to set your plan you are way, way behind the curve and probably won't catch up unless it is a very simple stage.

The 5 minute walk through is just to do the final "set" of your stage plan in your head.

Once you have a stage plan and have burned it into your brain do not change it when you see somebody else shooting a different plan.

memorize the stage. That's all there is to it. If you can't close your eyes and run the stage in your mind, seeing your sights on every target, you haven't properly memorized the stage. Once you have done that, all you have to do is see your sights on the target, and your subconscious will take care of the rest.

• 3 weeks later...

the simple answer is visualization. the longer answer is mentally running yourself through the stage and knowing exactly what you need to do so that you can play it in your head, with your eyes closed. you do this by mentally running through the stage plan repeatedly and it should help you fix any issues you may have with over running targets, skipping targets, forgetting to reload, etc. 

think of a stage as a start and end point. between the start and the end you have to do a handful of things: shoot a target, move to a new spot, or reload. once you have a stage plan in mind, repeat the exact process in your head over and over from start to finish. if you get mixed up somewhere, repeat that part over and over until you remember it perfectly. It should end up looking like a queue system of things you need to do from start to finish: draw gun, look at a precise spot on each target, move to the next spot, precise spot on each target, move to the next spot, reload, precise spot on each target. 

On 6/22/2022 at 7:30 PM, scroadkill said:

Once our squad takes the stage I avoid watching others shoot the stage before I shoot so I don't get tempted to borrow theirs.

My problem with this is that usually everyone else’s plan is better than mine..

By the time the buzzer goes off you should have "shot" the stage mentally multiple times. Agreed to most of the above, particularly with regards to visualization. 

By the time you are told to Make Ready you should be thinking "Good god this stage AGAIN?"

In 20 years I have "forgotten" a target three times. Two of which have been in the past 5 years. I got sloppy and complacent. 

On 7/29/2022 at 6:48 AM, konkapot said:

By the time the buzzer goes off you should have "shot" the stage mentally multiple times. Agreed to most of the above, particularly with regards to visualization. 

By the time you are told to Make Ready you should be thinking "Good god this stage AGAIN?"

In 20 years I have "forgotten" a target three times. Two of which have been in the past 5 years. I got sloppy and complacent. 

LOL made me laugh, but very true.  Thanks

Usually when you "forget" a target, it's because you never planned to shoot it in the first place. 

I've done 20 stage walkthroughs before and then gotten to the line to shoot and noticed a target I never saw during the stage brief. That's exciting.