Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

are Glocks still competitive?

ATMester

9 hours ago, warpspeed said:

A better arrow always helps.

Ah, but it’s in the defining of what makes an arrow better that there seems to be some disagreement. 

I believe a Glock is a better gun for me than a 1911 because it fits my hand better and is easier for me to shoot. 

This game could go on for a while. And, the better arrow discussion should relate more to the other discussion about which bullet profile is better for knockdown steel. What we are really talking about here are the Bows used to launch the arrows…

Hello, one of the things I really like about Glocks is the parts. They are easy to change and easy to buy. Try changing out some springs on a CZ or even a Sig. Work up a good load for a Glock and shoot it alot and it will take you as far as you want to go. Is it the most accurate--no but it is accurate enough. Magazines are easy to find and just work. As for the total weight, I don't think it means as much as people say it does. I have seen some really fast splits from a production Glock 17 and 34. Lastly is cost which most other production pistols cannot come close to. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 1:36 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, one of the things I really like about Glocks is the parts. They are easy to change and easy to buy. Try changing out some springs on a CZ or even a Sig. Work up a good load for a Glock and shoot it alot and it will take you as far as you want to go. Is it the most accurate--no but it is accurate enough. Magazines are easy to find and just work. As for the total weight, I don't think it means as much as people say it does. I have seen some really fast splits from a production Glock 17 and 34. Lastly is cost which most other production pistols cannot come close to. Thanks, Eric

With enough practice I was able to get my splits down to between .15-.2  15 yards and in with a glock 19 gen 3, bone stock internals and trijicon night sights. That is my duty side arm at work overseas, so when I started out in USPSA in 2017, I just shot one of those. With enough meaningful, dedicated, goal oriented practice, if I can do it, I would imagine anyone else could too. I own a high end 1911, 2011, and several glocks. I think they will always be a viable option for competing, and I would say due to the after market support, probably the best choice for a shooter just starting out in the sport. 

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a gen 3 Glock either a 34 or 17 from the time I started competitive shooting in 99 until 2012.  Then I switched to a CZ, shot that for a few years, moved to rifles and then picked it back up when I started shooting USPSA with my son in 2019.  His gun needed some work this past fall, so he used my CZ and I went back to a Glock.  After a one match adjustment, I was shooting higher classifiers and overall placements with the Glock than I had with my CZ.  So I would say it is more competitive for me.  

I started out with a Glock 19 years ago. Got hooked and went to a shadow 2, to Limcat limited and open guns. I ran with some of the veterans at local matches just fine. I stopped shooting a couple years ago so sold all the competition specific guns and kept all my glocks. I still shoot from time to time and still keep up with the cz and 2011 guys so I think glocks are very competitive especially if you practice a lot and have the gun tuned to you

• 4 weeks later...

Glocks are cheap and sturdy.  The trend is toward heavy guns.  How much can you ballast a Glock?  A lead plug and a flashlight for Production and CO, maybe.  I know a parsimonious guy who shoots a Glock in Limited with frame weight, metal plug, and metal mag well funnel. 

The comment about heavy being the trend is spot on and they are easier to shoot for some.  My CO G17 (Gen 3) with magpul 21 rd mag is 35.6oz.  That is with a flashlight with the W74 batteries, tungsten guide rod, and tungsten added to the grip cavity.  The CZ CO set-up my son shoots is just under the 59oz limit.  

Now you have me wondering what the status is of those Glocks that are placing high in the matches are tricked out to or with?  Us saying that ours are a certain way doesn't necessarily translate to high placements and wins.

Now if Glocks with weights or flashlights and the like are consistently there as opposed to your basic Glock with an extended mag with brass pad, Tungsten rod  that tells us something.

Edited by vluc
add comment

I saw that galco made a 15 oz frame weight from solid tungsten for the team shooters, and of course custom race holster to fit, bet that helped the ol .40 shoot a bit flatter lol

I run the 4 oz weight, balance is really close with that

Edited by Sinister4

1 hour ago, Sinister4 said:

I saw that galco made a 15 oz frame weight from solid tungsten for the team shooters, and of course custom race holster to fit, bet that helped the ol .40 shoot a bit flatter lol

It’s just Viscusi. She’s an ambassador for Galco. 

Coley still runs an SJC weight from what I’ve seen. He seems to be doing alright with a measly 6oz added to the nose. 

The very top competitors have a skill set that can overcome any shortcomings in the design of their handguns. This is why the same people win the matches regardless of who their main sponsor is. 

For those competitors with a much lower skill level, the gun can make a significant difference. Not only how the gun fits the hand and the amount of customization available, but it can also affect the mental game. If you think that the gun will help, it probably will.

I think more shooters in IPSC tend to favor CZ and Tanfoglio over polymer framed guns, not just because of the weight, but due to the Production rules. In IPSC it is legal to swap in customized parts in Production as long as those parts are offered by the original firearm manufacturer. Both CZ and Tanfoglio offer a number of such parts where-as Glock and other Polymer framed guns generally do not. 

39 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

The very top competitors have a skill set that can overcome any shortcomings in the design of their handguns. This is why the same people win the matches regardless of who their main sponsor is. 

For those competitors with a much lower skill level, the gun can make a significant difference. Not only how the gun fits the hand and the amount of customization available, but it can also affect the mental game. If you think that the gun will help, it probably will.

I think more shooters in IPSC tend to favor CZ and Tanfoglio over polymer framed guns, not just because of the weight, but due to the Production rules. In IPSC it is legal to swap in customized parts in Production as long as those parts are offered by the original firearm manufacturer. Both CZ and Tanfoglio offer a number of such parts where-as Glock and other Polymer framed guns generally do not. 

And you can't have a Glock 34

10 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Valid point. Still comes down to the Indian, not the arrow.