Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

are Glocks still competitive?

ATMester

Are Glocks still competitive against those steel framed da/sa guns?

Timney triggers make them basically single action guns also. Or is it only racing stripe on a donkey…?

I love how they fit to my hand, and the fact that I could use ANY primers (Timney triggers) wouldn’t have to stick to Winchester/ Federal like those da/sa guys. 

Planning to go with gen5 Glock17 in carry optics. 

Anybody have experience with both? How they compare regarding felt recoil, muzzle rise - how flat they shoot compared to a da/sa gun or a G34, gun handling, forgiveness on hard shots etc. 

I am aware that they are extremely reliable. 

thanks,

Edited by ATMester

Among Production/CO guns, I believe that the Glock platform remains very competitive.  (I won't try to compare it to an STI or Honcho for Open or Limited.)  Some of the "advantages" of the CZ/Tanfo platform can be seen as disadvantages, depending on one's viewpoint....

I like a light, easy-to-drive gun.  Some like 54 oz. guns.  I much prefer my plastic that weighs half that much.

Some tout the 2.5# single-action trigger pull of the CZ/Tanfo as their biggest advantage.  I like the consistent shot-to-shot feel of the Glock trigger.  It is the same whether it's the first shot of the stage or the last.  I don't have to train for one style of trigger press for the first shot, then another for subsequents.

I am ALWAYS gonna lose the "OOOOOH! AHHHHH!" competition of pretty/whiz-bang/neato against any of those aforementioned guns, but I am pretty neato enough myself....

Edited by Braxton1

49 minutes ago, yigal said:

it's not the arrow it's the  Indian. they knew this 200 years ago too.😉

We “racing machines” (guns) here. 
Guns do matter within reason. 
Yes the indian’s skill is final WHEN the machines can perform equally. 

(yet to hear about anybody who let’s say won a National title with a 45 long colt…   it’s muzzle rise/ recoil control/ gun handling would be horrible compared to a modern semi auto, let’s not get capacity involved, this is just an example, and examples are there to point out things, or over exaggerate the issues being discussed 

see how the bow/arrow does make a difference…)

@Cuz

@yigal

@Halen

this above it’s not a personal attack, it is one person’s opinion only,

Edited by ATMester

34 minutes ago, ATMester said:

(yet to hear about anybody who let’s say won a National title with a 45 long colt…   it’s muzzle rise/ recoil control/ gun handling would be horrible compared to a modern semi auto, let’s not get capacity involved, this is just an example, and examples are there to point out things, or over exaggerate the issues being discussed 

@Cuz

@yigal

@Halen

We are on the same page, I was actually applying the thought to myself not the OP.

Sure I think so.

Like mentioned already the Timney trigger really helped keep it in the forefront.   It's got a robust aftermarket support and it's a cheap entry gun to start practical shooting with.

With the right parts and customization it can compete with most guns.  My CO glock 17 weighs 41 oz

3 hours ago, ATMester said:

@Cuz

@yigal

@Halen

While nobody's shooting the 45 Colt, you do have to realize that a sig 320 legion, a canik shooting minor, and a Glock where the first three guns at limited Nationals last year, right? Those three plastic turds destroyed every STI, SV, atlas, limcat, etc in the field. I used to would have thought given equal capacity and power factor things wouldn't have mattered much, but after a plastic gun shooting minor was over 99% of the winner, I'm not even sure minor matters anymore. I think the Glock will do fine and whatever division they want to shoot. 

There was even a guy who used a basically stock Glock 26 and made GM in carry ops. I didn't think that was going to work, but it seemed to

Local production GM switched from a stock gen 3 17s with over 250k rounds on it to a CZ Shadow 2 this past season. I talked to him a bit about why and he said the added weight seemed to help on longer shots he would see as well as less muzzle flip and faster follow up shots. 

He used this season as a trial period but I asked if he was switching back to Glock after this season and he said he's staying with CZ. He did shoot my 34 with the Timney trigger and said it was amazing but he just wanted some added weight more than anything.

Yes they can be competitive. They just each require their own style if effort from you. If that style happens to fit your natural tendencies then it will seem appropriate. 

If you have to fight it, it might not be a good choice for you.

In the right hands. a glock is just as competitive as anything else.  So is almost anything other gun.  Pick the gun you want or can afford or whatever... and practice.

i had a friend who ran G34's for a couple of years non-stop and tried CZ Shadows until they broke in 1/2 the time he's ran the glocks. He went back to G34 and is a huge advocate for them. 

For me, its personal preference. I am a fan of curved and thin grips. Manged to get my hands on a tangoflio stock 3 extreme. 

I don't shoot glocks as often as I used to but am always surprised at how nice they shoot.  Considering trying out carry optics with a glock 17.  I'd like to throw a timney in the G17 but worry about all the issues people seem to be having with them.  

I find I am very competitive with my Glock. The secret has nothing to do with more practice. I just found a bunch of old geezers who can’t shoot worth a damn and started hanging out with them…

3gunDMD, from what I’ve read online, Timney customer service might take awhile, but they usually solve the problems. You might try what I did, I sent all 3 of my Timney triggers to Johnny Glock for his tuning service. All 3 triggers dropped in and run without any issues. I thought it was well worth the money. Hope this helps. 

I personally don't shoot Glocks as well as I do 1911/2011 pistols.  But I have a vivid memory of a local match where a Dallas PD guy was shooting his G34/35, I don't remember which and I was shooting one of my SVs.  This was back when I actually practiced and was approaching M class in Limited.  The classifier stage was Can You Count and he blistered my arse with his duty Glock.......they will always be competitive.

41 minutes ago, dapribek said:

3gunDMD, from what I’ve read online, Timney customer service might take awhile, but they usually solve the problems. You might try what I did, I sent all 3 of my Timney triggers to Johnny Glock for his tuning service. All 3 triggers dropped in and run without any issues. I thought it was well worth the money. Hope this helps. 

which package did you have him do?