Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Infinity IMM 9MM Major

Robertwil18

Has anyone ordered an Infinity IMM in 9 Major?  If so, any feedback on how it runs, and whether or not you regret not getting it in 38SC?  Considering a build now, and working out whether I want to move away from 9 Major as i have a large stock of components, and can resupply much easier than 38SC right now it seems.  

38 sc literally does everything better than 9 major. 

people complain about the brass and all that but its not an issue if you just stock up. 

I buy about 50k 38sc brass at the beginning of each year just so i can shoot without chicken picking the range for brass

9 major brass is cheaper (or free) but at the cost of more pressure and more force in the slide which means at some point your slide will crack

maybe it will be at 20k maybe it will be at 100k but at some point the slide will get all messed up. 

the same goes for extractors, ejectors, etc

i think the conventional way to do open builds these days is to get a barrel and comp for both calibers tuned to the same frame

Starline has it for $0.18/ea these days in 1000 boxes.  You can do better if you order in drums.  

Switch-barrel (or switch-top) guns seem like a good idea, but sooner or later one gets used more than the other and parts wear-in to one versus the other.  Maybe not a thing for a while, but with the cost of 50K rounds of ammo, a new top end isn't huge.

I've never gotten reliable 9mm brass for free. You guys are lucky. I do get 'after the local is over' brass for free, but only after stage breakdown is finished and only what I can get between all of the other guys picking it up. Then it's sorting it, cleaning all the other crap that got picked up with it (most of the time dirt\rocks inside the cases from being stepped on, separating it from inside the 40 brass that it inevitably gotten lodged into. After all is said and done, I just put in a significant amount of time to pick up brass that is almost certainly not once-fired and almost certainly shot a few times out of another 9 major gun that left it because it's been reloaded a few times.

I rather just pick up my brass that has 2 marker lines on it while in between pasting stages and leave after stage breakdown. Sure I may be short a few pieces, but in my opinion, that's a minor loss compared to what the alternative is.

Edited by chrisstophere

I have an IMM 9 major gun. I have also shot 9 major for 4 years with other guns, and have cracked one slide in a gun at around 20,000 rounds. Replacement slide and work was $1500 to replace.

Doing the math, let's assume 20,000 rounds before 9 major slide cracks and needs replacement. I think that 20k rounds before a slide cracking is on the low side of the MTBF (mean time between failure) but let's just run with it for now.

9mm brass = $400 (0.02/per * 20k)

Slide replacement = $2000 ($1500 labor & parts + $500 overnight shipping to my gunsmith both ways due to distance)

TCO = $2400

Starline 38 supercomp = $4000 (assume $0.20/per)

No slide replacement = $0

TCO = $4000

So, to make the math work in favor of 38 super comp you need to bend over and pick up more brass, with the break-even point being 8,000 pieces of brass (40% recovery rate). It's not unreasonable, but it's also a lot of labor. I think that a 40% recovery rate is a reasonable average across practice, major matches, and everything else. Perhaps even a little optimistic.

So, even though you are cracking slides and having to replace them, I feel like you can crack a lot of slides and still come out ahead by shooting 9 major. If you are able to squeeze another 10k rounds out of a slide and barrel in 9major the TCO becomes even more favorable. Plus, no bending over to pick up brass.

Edited by sc68cal

Another data point for 9 major slide was a 38 super to 9mm conversion I did for a gun, that was ~$800 for parts + $800 in labor from Gans, and about $100 for shipping both ways since it was in the same state, so 1500 to 1600 for a new top end

Pretty much set on going 9Major for the build.  I know it's a major point of contention for some and it's definitely going to vary from shooter to shooter, but which of the grip sizes (1.250, 1.300, or signature grip) and which texture do you recommend.  I have been using the PT EVO aggressive, and I like the grip and feel, so am tempted to go aggressive micropockets, but definitely open to other options.  What do you think?  

6 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

Pretty much set on going 9Major for the build.  I know it's a major point of contention for some and it's definitely going to vary from shooter to shooter, but which of the grip sizes (1.250, 1.300, or signature grip) and which texture do you recommend.  I have been using the PT EVO aggressive, and I like the grip and feel, so am tempted to go aggressive micropockets, but definitely open to other options.  What do you think?  

as aggressive as you can get

just get both barrels and comps made and fitted to the same frame

Why do people think cracking the slide is inevitable with 9 major? If your gun is built right, your loads are tuned properly and your gun is tuned around your loads, your s#!t is going to be fine. Both of mine have a midlength barrel, 6 popple holes and is stroked. It feels much like 38sc guns that i shot. Compared to cheaper 9major guns with less features, its night and day for sure. 

13 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

Definitely go with micropocket

Something to think about, if you buy new 9mm brass all head-stamped the same you'll likely have fewer issues than running mixed once-fired (and have to trust that it was truly once fired and not previously 9mm major). Then if you do that, you'd be paying a premium for single use brass. If you are willing and able to pick up your brass then you halve the cost of the .38SC each time you reload it. I've personally loaded the same brass over a dozen times before any wear was noticeable shooting major out of my SV. If you're willing to pick it up, it's better in the long run. Not to mention the powder options that you now have using 38SC (I prefer 3n38) that wouldn't be possible to make major in 9mm due to volume.

59 minutes ago, Bird_Dog0347 said:

Something to think about, if you buy new 9mm brass all head-stamped the same you'll likely have fewer issues than running mixed once-fired (and have to trust that it was truly once fired and not previously 9mm major).

WHILE I DO SORT MY RANGE PICKUP BRASS BY HEADSTAMP I HAVE LEARNED MY GUN PERFORMS PERFECTLY WITH MIXED BRASS.

I've personally loaded the same brass over a dozen times before any wear was noticeable shooting major out of my SV.

I HAVE DONE THE SAME WITH 9MAJOR BRASS.
 If you're willing to pick it up, it's better in the long run. Not to mention the powder options that you now have using 38SC (I prefer 3n38) that wouldn't be possible to make major in 9mm due to volume. BUT, IT’S NOT LIKE THERE IS ONLY ONE OR TWO POWDERS THAT WORK WELL IN 9MAJOR.

I'm with @Sarge here.

New brass hangs up progressive press less, which matters a lot if you're running a robot (automated press). Clean, rollsized, mixed headstamp, range pickup brass works fine at the added cost of an occasional primer pullback when reloading. 

If it loads it'll go bang 😉

9 hours ago, Bravo_Victor said:

Why do people think cracking the slide is inevitable with 9 major? If your gun is built right, your loads are tuned properly and your gun is tuned around your loads, your s#!t is going to be fine. Both of mine have a midlength barrel, 6 popple holes and is stroked. It feels much like 38sc guns that i shot. Compared to cheaper 9major guns with less features, its night and day for sure. 

Used to have  PT grip when I still had an Atlas, both my SVs now have grippe signature steel grips with aggressive grip tape. Will never go back to a micro pocket style grip again. Texture is rough and smooth feeling in the hands, never feel like I'm slipping when using the 60grit. Not a fan of the 120 grit griptape.

What turned you away from the MP? I tried the samples they send out and found their aggressive not as prickly as my LSI (which is comparable to the EVO aggressive) but grippier than a silicon carbide grip I have. My concern with the grip tape is the eventual upkeep or replacement of it. That just seems like pain. 

So, after calling and discussing a few things with Brandon and the folks at SVI, I placed my order today....

in 38SC

The 8 month wait will give me time to gather components and hopefully by the time it's ready I'll have enough for the year ahead.  Now i need to look into the best dies and set up for my RL1100 to load massive amounts of 38SC.