Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How the heck do you clean the crap out from between the top of the barrel, and the bottom of the top strap?

ysrracer

If it is stainless and not blued, you can slide the edge of a "Lead Wipe" cloth in the gap between the bottom of the top strap and top of the forcing cone and get it really clean with a little work. But the cloth can remove blueing . . . . so avoid using on those firearms.  

5 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I'm talking about right above the forcing cone. Should I just soak it with solvent, then pick it out with a dental pick?

Slide a razor blade between them?

Is it even necessary to clean it?

I clean as much as I need to to let the cylinder spin free.  After that I don't care.

37 minutes ago, PatJones said:

If you clean there it'll just make the top strap erosion more noticable.

That's what I'm saying - it's frame reinforcement. 

If only some intrepid firearm designer made a revolver that fired from the bottom to avoid these issues...

I use an O-Ring Pick still sharp point but thicker shaft.  But unless it begins looking like a stalactite I've quit worrying about it.  And like Matteekay I'm worried that cleaning "too" much may jinx the whole deal!

S&W really spent some time on that forcing cone.  Nice 5° lapped smooth. :eyeroll:

I usually soak it with carbon lead remover.  Hit it with a nylon bristled brush.  Wipe.  Blow it off with compressed air.  If there is any left in the seam or corner I use a dental pick.  They also make them in nylon so they won't scratch as easily.  Then follow up with more cleaner and finally a thin flip of lube.

Edited by tim_w

Oh I am sure.  Only pointing out how what should be to spec 5° is zero just a flat cut.  As long as the cyl chamber lines up and throat size is good things are gtg.  Was not meant as a knock on your pistola.  Many of mine are the same way.  BTW what model is that?

1 hour ago, tim_w said:

Oh I am sure.  Only pointing out how what should be to spec 5° is zero just a flat cut.  As long as the cyl chamber lines up and throat size is good things are gtg.  Was not meant as a knock on your pistola.  Many of mine are the same way.  BTW what model is that?

An old 5" 627

Since I clean with CLP for the most part, I hose it down and use a GI cleaning brush.  Regular, issued, CLP does a good job loosening that sort of really hard carbon.  Dental pick would be my choice but I don't have one so if it bugs me, I use a thread from a piece of para cord like one would dental floss.   A dental pick would be easier to use than gutted para cord.  

GG66

13 hours ago, tim_w said:

Oh I am sure.  Only pointing out how what should be to spec 5° is zero just a flat cut.

I re-read your post this morning. What are you talking about that should be 5 degrees? The back of the barrel, or the forcing cone?

The rear of the barrel is always flat. The forcing cone is cut to one of 2 angles and there is usually a small chamfer on the leading edge. 

I prefer to use something that is harder than lead and softer than the frame to minimize scratching the gun. I make scrapers from spent brass rifle cartridges, I just squash the end flat and file and shape for the intended purpose. I first apply a lead solvent and let it soak a few minutes.