Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

19 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Well after 2 years of waiting, I finally got my hands on my JP and took it to the range. 

WOW

I know some people described it like shooting a 22, and while I was skeptical, I can see what they mean. While the felt recoil is certainly more than a 22, the dot movement was minimal and similar to when I shoot my 22 AR-15. Have a 70 degree locker in, shooting 115gr blazer out of an 8" barrel. Brass is coming out about 4 feet so I think I might have a small amount of operating room to play with when the SCS spring set arrives.

I'm noticing the dot does not jump up, but jumps right, so I'll need to figure out what's causing that, and re-watch Max's carbine mastery videos on the supercetca channel.

i noticed the same. in that series he says its a result of not wrapping your body around the stock

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/18/2024 at 1:31 PM, Blackstone45 said:

Well after 2 years of waiting, I finally got my hands on my JP and took it to the range. 

WOW

I know some people described it like shooting a 22, and while I was skeptical, I can see what they mean. While the felt recoil is certainly more than a 22, the dot movement was minimal and similar to when I shoot my 22 AR-15. Have a 70 degree locker in, shooting 115gr blazer out of an 8" barrel. Brass is coming out about 4 feet so I think I might have a small amount of operating room to play with when the SCS spring set arrives.

I'm noticing the dot does not jump up, but jumps right, so I'll need to figure out what's causing that, and re-watch Max's carbine mastery videos on the supercetca channel.

The only other PCC I'd shot before was a couple of MPX's that I have so I was skeptical about the 22 like recoil. I agree it isn't really like a 22 and it's not a lot different than my MPX's but then a couple matches ago I shot a friend's CMMG Banshee and many did it have a lot more recoil.

On the right dot movement, its your grip/mount. Try more centered on you body and less on your shoulder, or wrap around it more. I kind of hold it on my collar bone area.

16 minutes ago, Hammerman said:

Does JP offer the JP5 in a side charger only?  And if not, does anyone think it would be something in the works?

Dual charge is all you'll likely get. Given they don't even make any of their off-the-shelf versions with a side charge receiver it seems unlikely that they'll mill a third JP5 receiver design on top of the two they already do.

5 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

If you are talking about the ones with the orange follower, yes they work fine. 

I thought I had read somewhere that they did not work in the JP5 but the three mags I have tried all work.

Two of my 17 rounders, with magazine body code 1587-01 and black followers do not lock back the bolt on empty. Definitely is a magazine issue as it won't lock back even if I manually charge the rifle. Other magazines will lock it back on empty just fine. I have Armanov basepads on them, so I wonder if I haven't installed them correctly.

Lock back in jp5 is iffy. If you take the upper off and look how it works when the follower engages the lever to lift it there is very little

force to do so. The little tab that is lifted  by the follower also just barely sits on the flat shelf of the followers If you move the mag side to side while its seated the follower will miss the tab and fall off as well.

I have found Glock mags to give me trouble anywhere from 1 year of use and on and can’t figure out why. Researching here the consensus is the mag body gets weak and spreads which I agree with. I will begin to gave double feeds and I’ve even had rounds pinched inside the mag body and stuck. For this reason I use MBX mags and they also don’t lock the bolt back. We don’t ever need the bolt to lock back so I don’t worry about it.

45 minutes ago, brian45acp said:

Lock back in jp5 is iffy. If you take the upper off and look how it works when the follower engages the lever to lift it there is very little

force to do so. The little tab that is lifted  by the follower also just barely sits on the flat shelf of the followers If you move the mag side to side while its seated the follower will miss the tab and fall off as well.

I have found Glock mags to give me trouble anywhere from 1 year of use and on and can’t figure out why. Researching here the consensus is the mag body gets weak and spreads which I agree with. I will begin to gave double feeds and I’ve even had rounds pinched inside the mag body and stuck. For this reason I use MBX mags and they also don’t lock the bolt back. We don’t ever need the bolt to lock back so I don’t worry about it.

If you Shoot IDPA bolt locking back is beneficial as they make you download magazines often and have reloads on the clock.

4 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Two of my 17 rounders, with magazine body code 1587-01 and black followers do not lock back the bolt on empty. Definitely is a magazine issue as it won't lock back even if I manually charge the rifle. Other magazines will lock it back on empty just fine. I have Armanov basepads on them, so I wonder if I haven't installed them correctly.

I am sorry, I guess I assumed incorrectly.  When it was asked if they work, yes the magazine feeds bullets fine into the JP5.  I shoot USPSA so I never get to lock back, and have yet to test this on any of my mags.  It really is not a thing for me.  I guess I should check just so I have that data point, but not a necessity for what I am doing.

My orange follower 33 round mags work and lock back with the factory base pads and Taylor's +10 & +20's.

I have some old Gen 3 and Gen 4 17 round mags with Dawson 140mm base pads.  They function fine and also lock back.

I've got 3 ETS 40 round mags that will run great with jacketed bullets (any profile), but won't run any of the polymer coated bullets (all colors).

A MagPul D50 has also run for 550 rounds in practice without issue and will also lock the bolt back.  I hope to use it in its first match this weekend.

Hope this helps.

If you're super worried about downloading mags and locking back, run stock GLOCK-brand-GLOCK 17 rounders. They lock back and you're already downloading for some reason or another. 

Every generation of GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags I have used in my JP-5's have all fed and functioned. Standard 33's with either Taylor Freelance or TTI basepads. New mag springs tend to lock back more consistently than old mag springs. I don't care though because unless I really messed something up, I shouldn't be empty. 

On 1/13/2024 at 7:39 PM, Boomstick303 said:

After running the SD3G for the last shooting season in my JP5 it has been amazing.  It has been the first and only Geissele trigger.  I am not known for my splits, but numerous times last season people commented on how fast my splits have been.  I did not have any huge expectations for the SD3G, as I understood it was a rock solid trigger, but the speed of the trigger has been so impressive, I am thinking about ditching all of my Trigger Tech Triggers in my ARs and switching to the SD3G.  I used to think I was not a guy that required trigger reset force to effectively get decent splits, but the SD3G has me rethinking that.  

The main reason would be Trigger reliability, and running the same trigger in all of my rifle platforms.  

Is your Geissele a SD3G or the SD3Gun super dynamic trigger?

I think you are getting the S3G and SD3G trigger confused.  the S3G trigger is curved.  The SD3G trigger is flat which is the only configuration it comes in to my knowledge.  The Geissele website essentially describes the SD3G as a single stage short pull trigger, which at speed it seems this way, but it does have a miniscule amount of take up.  The spring is heavy enough to allow you to reach a wall without completely pulling the trigger, thus making it acceptable in my eyes for distance shooting.  I have not measure the trigger pull using the 3.5 lbs. spring, but it does feel like the pull is 3.5 lbs. out of the box and seems even lighter after a few thousand rounds.  I have been meaning to get a trigger gage on it after this first season to see what the pull is, I just have not got around to it.  

I have heard the springs need to be maintained properly to prevent double/auto fire.  While I have never experienced this or seen this myself, I have heard from more than one person that this is a thing. 

Edited by Boomstick303
30 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I think you are getting the S3G and SD3G trigger confused.  the S3G trigger is curved.  The SD3G trigger is flat which is the only configuration it comes in to my knowledge.  The Geissele website essentially describes the SD3G as a single stage short pull trigger, which at speed it seems this way, but it does have a miniscule amount of take up.  The spring is heavy enough to allow you to reach a wall without completely pulling the trigger, thus making it acceptable in my eyes for distance shooting.  I have not measure the trigger pull using the 3.5 lbs. spring, but it does feel like the pull is 3.5 lbs. out of the box and seems even lighter after a few thousand rounds.  I have been meaning to get a trigger gage on it after this first season to see what the pull is, I just have not got around to it.  

I have heard the springs need to be maintained properly to prevent double/auto fire.  While I have never experienced this or seen this myself, I have heard from more than one person that this is a thing. 

Thanks,

I am confused!

So you are using the single stage?

1 hour ago, dmshozer1 said:

So you are using the single stage?

They claim its a single stage and for all intensive purposes it is.  Like I said there is a tiny tiny amount of take up before reaching a definitive wall.  You can treat it like a 2 stage, but there really is not any pressure of the take up and the movement it barely detectable.  

Look up the trigger on the Geissele web site if you have any more questions.