Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929

pjb45

I just picked up a 929. 😲

I am looking for advice on which Safariland Land holster to pick.  Their website did not list it.  I know it is a N Frame but then clueless. 

I have seen some moonclip holder advice--what is preferred single or double stack?

If you are wanting a Safariland, then I think that the 02 comp is the one that will work with the 929. I like the North Mountain  5 post that gives you 10 loaded moons. Another holder that is really good is the Johnson Precision Mag Rack with 8 posts.

6 hours ago, mchapman said:

If you are wanting a Safariland, then I think that the 02 comp is the one that will work with the 929. I like the North Mountain  5 post that gives you 10 loaded moons. Another holder that is really good is the Johnson Precision Mag Rack with 8 posts.

This....    If you want a open style holster, I have had great luck with the Guga Ribas revo holster.  Lightweight and all kinds of adjustability..

there are 3 basic moon clip holder styles, individual post magnetic, double stack north mountain type, and the moon clip server (think moon clip magazine) its personal preference to choose between them.

I have both the North Mountain style and the individual magnetic style (both home made) and for me its a pretty much a tie, I really need to do some timed runs with both to see if there is a empirical advantage to one of them but my gut is there is not, I don't fumble for moons with either, I will say the North mountain type is better for pick up ammo starts.

For what its worth the top several guys at Nationals all run magnetic of one kind or another, but there are both kinds on the super squad and I'm 100% sure that is not where the difference in finishing position lies.

I always struggled with taking the moons off from the double stack holders in a manner where I didn't have to search around for one by the end of a course of fire. I spent a few years with a homemade single high kydex model, but I've since picked up a moonclip server.

The moonclip server allows me to put my hand on a moonclip without looking down or fishing around for it. It's the only piece of equipment I've ever bought that I can say actually saves me time on the clock. I do have a double post north mountain rig behind my hip for empty table starts, but I've had to rebuild every part on it except for the Tek-Loks.

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

I always struggled with taking the moons off from the double stack holders in a manner where I didn't have to search around for one by the end of a course of fire. I spent a few years with a homemade single high kydex model, but I've since picked up a moonclip server.

The moonclip server allows me to put my hand on a moonclip without looking down or fishing around for it. It's the only piece of equipment I've ever bought that I can say actually saves me time on the clock. I do have a double post north mountain rig behind my hip for empty table starts, but I've had to rebuild every part on it except for the Tek-Loks.

Second for the moon clip server. Moons are always in the same place and you never have to look down to see where the next moon clip comes from. 

The North Mountain is more versatile, works with my 38's, 44 & 45's.

If you treat it as if you're going for magazines there are no issues, I go for the first one and just as with magazines my hand always falls to spot 1 and sweeps to the next clip/magazine.  Since we're usually moving the tenth of a second this takes doesn't impact scores.  The times that it does usually requires only 1 speed reload at a time.

I've had, and used the 5 post carrier since 2008, never had any issues with durability.  Did have an older 4 post that broke, and Bob replaced it free of charge.

Put a spacer on it and on a table start, all ammo on the table, grab two and drop them on the post.  They're also more secure than the Magnetic Carriers and I've seen the Servers jam up, any added springs/friction/moving parts are a place for stoppages happening.

But hey as long as you're shooting Revolvers get and try them all!  Still be cheaper than a Open/Limited or even a Carry Optic high end Semi-Auto!

I've got so many extra rigs I no longer use, it's embarrassing!

And I'm still adding new stuff!!!!!  But then "Gearing UP" is half of the fun.

50 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

I've got so many extra rigs I no longer use, it's embarrassing!

And I'm still adding new stuff!!!!!  But then "Gearing UP" is half of the fun.

Just remember, admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery. Okay, so maybe that doesn't really apply to revolver shooters ... or Single Stack for that matter.

I have a DAA holster and a moon clip server. As long as the revolvers you are shooting are N frame the holster works on all. My server will accommodate 9mm, 10mm, 38 short colt, 38 super and 45 ACP. Basically anything that is a moon clip. If I show up with multiple revolvers all I need to do is change revolver and moon clips. I also have 2 North Mountain single post for those table loads

3 hours ago, Distant Thunder said:

Just remember, admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery. Okay, so maybe that doesn't really apply to revolver shooters ... or Single Stack for that matter.

LOL 🤣🤣🤣 or ANY competition shooter!  Or maybe it's that our solution to the issue, is to buy/make/trade for MORE stuff to play with!

2 hours ago, revoman said:

I have a DAA holster and a moon clip server. As long as the revolvers you are shooting are N frame the holster works on all. My server will accommodate 9mm, 10mm, 38 short colt, 38 super and 45 ACP. Basically anything that is a moon clip. If I show up with multiple revolvers all I need to do is change revolver and moon clips. I also have 2 North Mountain single post for those table loads

I've been playing with a DAA RacerX for my Revolver Holster, still have the cut up Blade Tech, I want to like it especially for SC matches but????  All those adjustments leave me dizzy!  And it really peeves me if something moves!  

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I've been playing with a DAA RacerX for my Revolver Holster, still have the cut up Blade Tech, I want to like it especially for SC matches but????  All those adjustments leave me dizzy!  And it really peeves me if something moves!  

I forgot to add that the DAA also works for my Ruger Super GP100

10 hours ago, pskys2 said:

The North Mountain is more versatile, works with my 38's, 44 & 45's.

If you treat it as if you're going for magazines there are no issues, I go for the first one and just as with magazines my hand always falls to spot 1 and sweeps to the next clip/magazine. 

Do you load weak hand? I load strong hand and I picked up the moonclip server specifically so I could sweep back with my strong hand like you describe. After my server is empty I have what used to be a North Mountain rack behind my holster. With a traditional moon rack across the front of my belt the last 2 reloads of each stage was costing me more than a tenth.

4 hours ago, revoman said:

I forgot to add that the DAA also works for my Ruger Super GP100

Had to do a little dremel work on the lock to get it to fit, without force, my 627PC.  But now works with 627PC, 627Pro, 625PC, 29-3, 28 (little loose) and would work for SC with a GP100 just wouldn't want to run with it as it was loose.

My issue with it are getting it tightened down and locked in unlike with the Blade Tech it can be hit hard enough to shift.  And the barrel hanging out there, kind of like what some think of the thumb safety on a 1911 EDC.

Still getting used to it.  Though it does take a .10th or more off the draw.

8 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I just can’t get used to that DAA for steel. I used it for 3 years before switching to a Hogue Powerspeed. I can hit the gun so much harder now from surrender.

i like the DAA for field courses where the draw doesn’t matter as much and the smaller holster is nicer to spend the day with- I just couldn’t draw as hard from it. 

10 hours ago, MWP said:

I just can’t get used to that DAA for steel. I used it for 3 years before switching to a Hogue Powerspeed. I can hit the gun so much harder now from surrender.

i like the DAA for field courses where the draw doesn’t matter as much and the smaller holster is nicer to spend the day with- I just couldn’t draw as hard from it. 

I like the DAA, also had a CR Speed set up for Revolvers but the barrel length had to stay the same at least within the same match, for speed and the BT for field.  I'm still not confident with the DAA security, a personal issue for sure, and the lock isn't as robust as the CR.  But I'm trying to up my game a bit!  

Even playing with lighter actions again!

I'm looking for a holster myself. Decided to splurge and try out the DAA moon holders and was leaning towards a second Alpha X since I have one for Open, but it seems they have stopped making/are redesigning the N-Frame insert because it says pre-order in the drop down. I always forget how expensive it gets to setup a new belt :(

On 3/27/2021 at 5:04 AM, PatJones said:

On 3/27/2021 at 6:07 AM, revoman said:

Second for the moon clip server. Moons are always in the same place and you never have to look down to see where the next moon clip comes from. 

For those running the servers, how much of a handicap would they be on a mags on table start stage? Will it bind up if you don't have the spacers in between each moon? 

24 minutes ago, regor said:

I'm looking for a holster myself. Decided to splurge and try out the DAA moon holders and was leaning towards a second Alpha X since I have one for Open, but it seems they have stopped making/are redesigning the N-Frame insert because it says pre-order in the drop down. I always forget how expensive it gets to setup a new belt :(

For those running the servers, how much of a handicap would they be on a mags on table start stage? Will it bind up if you don't have the spacers in between each moon? 

First off I have never  ran spacers on my server I just put the lip of the next moon clip on top of the prior one. I also have two North Mountain single post on my  belt for those table starts. If you tried to put moon clips on a server on the clock that be like the old saying about a monkey 🐒 and a football 🏈. I would take a picture of my belt but I will not be home for a week. 

9 hours ago, regor said:

I wouldn't want to throw more than one moonclip on the moonclip server while the clock is running. I have a couple double-post kydex moonclip holders behind the hip for table starts and prone stages. They're also used to load from at make ready.