Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heaviest WML?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Southpaw said:

lol, figured it wouldn't be long before we see questions like this.  Give it a little time; someone will surely start making a 10+ oz. light soon enough...

Or someone starts selling a "battery adapter" made out of steel or brass thats about the size of a pair of cr123a batteries and leaves space for/holds a stack of cr2032 coin cells to get the right voltage so it remains a "functional" light. It  just happens to add several oz of weight.

21 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

if you use duct tape to mount it, you can use the big metal 4-D cell ones that cops use for beating people.

Or just wrap a light in tungsten rods.

How long until someone makes a light that holds tungsten weights?

37 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

And the race of people with more money than skill begins...................

I mean, I could probably 3d print a housing, throw a mini mag lite in there and surround it with tungsten rods. Would add like 6-10 oz and cost like 100 bucks.

I wasn't really thinking about doing that until now......

10 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I mean, I could probably 3d print a housing, throw a mini mag lite in there and surround it with tungsten rods. Would add like 6-10 oz and cost like 100 bucks.

I wasn't really thinking about doing that until now......

See this is actually what I was hoping for. Sounds like you got an idea for a nice little side business. Let me know when they are ready.

Keep in mind when flashlight shopping, you might want to buy a spare in case you get checked and it stopped working. I doubt many of the lights on the market are designed with the level of abuse a lot of USPSA shooters will put them through. Especially the cheaper ones. 

47 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Keep in mind when flashlight shopping, you might want to buy a spare in case you get checked and it stopped working. I doubt many of the lights on the market are designed with the level of abuse a lot of USPSA shooters will put them through. Especially the cheaper ones. 

It's a worthwhile consideration. 

It may be outlined somewhere and I just haven't read it, but I haven't seen much on how or when "functional" is going to be determined. Maybe it's up to MD's, like checking mag lengths? If I am checked at some point, and my light is not functional (but I know it was prior), what are the repercussions? 

26 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

It's a worthwhile consideration. 

It may be outlined somewhere and I just haven't read it, but I haven't seen much on how or when "functional" is going to be determined. Maybe it's up to MD's, like checking mag lengths? If I am checked at some point, and my light is not functional (but I know it was prior), what are the repercussions? 

Thanks for the link!

I am interested in this point you bring up as well. If you were shooting CO and your dot went out, they wouldn’t bump you to open. I don’t see how it is reasonable if your WML stops working at some point that there would be any negative repercussions. Maybe the battery went out or maybe the light just broke. Don’t see why it should matter or have any negative outcome on your match.

1 minute ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Thanks for the link!

I am interested in this point you bring up as well. If you were shooting CO and your dot went out, they wouldn’t bump you to open. I don’t see how it is reasonable if your WML stops working at some point that there would be any negative repercussions. Maybe the battery went out or maybe the light just broke. Don’t see why it should matter or have any negative outcome on your match.

The rule for CO says dot must be mounted. Rule for WML says light must be functional. Huge difference. My thought would be to check at chrono for majors but folks could just go to safety area and change it from functional to non functional. (Cheat)

For local I would probably make a stick with a reflector on the end and make hem show me it works before make ready

42 minutes ago, Sarge said:

My thought would be to check at chrono for majors but folks could just go to safety area and change it from functional to non functional. 

The odd thing about a WML is that it can fail at any time.  Ie, my light may be in perfect working order, but fail 10 minutes before I go to Chrono. So in that scenario what would the penalty or repercussion be when my light doesn't pass the check at chrono? If there isn't an associated penalty, then there's no point in checking. 

If there IS a penalty administered in that situation, due to an electrical accessory failing due to no fault of the competitor, I don't know that I can get on board with that. 

If the answer in that scenario is.... Run by the safe area and check your light before chrono, well, that is certainly not a great situation. 

1 hour ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Thanks for the link!

See, if I 3d printed one, you would just need to keep an extra $5 mini mag light in your bag. It just says a light mounted to your weapon, not something that actually makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

See, if I 3d printed one, you would just need to keep an extra $5 mini mag light in your bag. It just says a light mounted to your weapon, not something that actually makes sense.

Like I said. Please let me know when they are ready. I love your idea. Lumens don’t matter anymore, only weight and a cheap repair for when the light breaks.

for sure, the 'functional' part of the rule needs to be clarified. Other than that, I guess I don't care much. we all know that almost everyone in prod and co now shoots legions or shadow 2's, and I can see adding weight to the front of the frame helping non-race-only guns to be more competitive again. OTOH, if you're serious about racing, you're not racing your actual carry gun anyway. wutever.....

Maybe it's a bump to another division if the WML doesnt work, a bit like mags being too long or gun not fitting in the box? (IPSC guy here so just spit balling) however in IPSC you have the opportunity to rectify the issue, for example if your equipment is not correct, so possibly if it doesnt work when checked you can fix it and have it rechecked before you shoot another stage? 

12 hours ago, Degnan said:

Mason stated well on the Shoot Fast podcast. If the light is a competitive advantage then it is now quasi required for the top guys. 

If it was a significant advantage, I would have expected to see lots of people using bolt-on frame weights in the divisions where they have been allowed.

Instead, we saw everyone just buy different guns in prod and CO.