Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heaviest WML?

17 hours ago, Atlasguy321 said:

in the grand scheme of things tho a light won’t make a difference so don’t get to caught up in it. 

In the "grand scheme of things", grip tape, undercut trigger guards, 1lb changes in recoil springs, polishing trigger parts, magwells, thumb rests, slight lightening, etc, etc.... don't make a difference, but this forum is one example of the the inordinate amount of thought, time, and effort people put into those things. This will be no different. 

Equipment modifications are usually very nuanced as far as "making a difference" goes. Adding weight to the front of a plastic gun falls into that category, along with the items I listed above.  However, the sum of many nuanced modifications can equal meaningful improvement. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a scale that measures in the range of the WML, but I set up a balance between my Lok brass grips and my tungsten and lead filled working WML. The Lok grips are 9 oz. Ta-da! The weight is about the same. So, the grips balance the WML.

23 hours ago, Russty said:

I don't have a scale that measures in the range of the WML, but I set up a balance between my Lok brass grips and my tungsten and lead filled working WML. The Lok grips are 9 oz. Ta-da! The weight is about the same. So, the grips balance the WML.

Well we can't strap brass grips to a plastic gun ;) haha

On 5/4/2021 at 10:03 AM, mrvip27 said:

Well we can't strap brass grips to a plastic gun ;) haha

Wondering when some enterprising company or individual with a CNC machine is going to start making brass backstraps and grip panels for plastic guns so equipped... Could add a significant amount of weight to an M&P or other gun with similar, large grip backstraps/panels.

15 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

Wondering when some enterprising company or individual with a CNC machine is going to start making brass backstraps and grip panels for plastic guns so equipped... Could add a significant amount of weight to an M&P or other gun with similar, large grip backstraps/panels.

Taylor freelance already does this for Canik and Walther back straps. 

9 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

Companies make inserts etc. Even the plugs for Glocks. CH even made one.

But the real weight addition is grip panels... Can't do that on plastic guns

Not panels, but the M&P type wraparound grip backstrap is a pretty substantial part of the grip, and made of brass would add considerable weight to the gun. Probably more than a tungsten guiderod. 

6 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Not panels, but the M&P type wraparound grip backstrap is a pretty substantial part of the grip, and made of brass would add considerable weight to the gun. Probably more than a tungsten guiderod. 

Didn't think about that.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Foxtrotx1 said:

I can't imagine making a shadow 2 any heavier. It's already a good compromise between recoil management and target transitions. I guess some people enjoy nose heavy guns and high swing weights. 

I never really notice the nose heavy thing when shooting a stage. And really once you add the full mag weighting about a pound it kinda balances it out. As for swinging heavy guns, there are a lot of guys running steel gripped 2011's that weight 50+ oz in limited and open. I don't think it really hurts your transition once you get used to it. One of my limited guns was a 4" 2011 weighting about 50+ oz with a lead filled flashlight. I really liked how that gun shot honestly, even got a match bump to G with it. 

I think the weighted flashlight rule is dumb and wasn't really thought out, but now that it's a thing it's smart IMO to test it for yourself and see what you like. If it helps you should be running it. I imagine we'll see a lot of them on plastic guns as time goes on.

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think the weighted flashlight rule is dumb and wasn't really thought out, but now that it's a thing it's smart IMO to test it for yourself and see what you like. If it helps you should be running it. I imagine we'll see a lot of them on plastic guns as time goes on.

And that's all that needs to be said about that. 

• 3 months later...

Cant add grip panels to plastic guns but there's other things that can be done.  Got a glock 17 g4 coming.  Going fill the back cavity with tungsten.  Do a grip reduction and rebuild the grip back up with tungsten putty.  Epoxy over it and cover it with silicon carbide. DC Precision does something similar 

https://www.dcprecisionllc.com/product-page/weighted-silicone-carbide-grip-enhancement

On 11/20/2021 at 12:27 PM, Degnan said:

Surprised there is not a brass back-strap for Glocks. That would help. 

I mean they have the plugs...but the backstraps of glocks go over the frame instead of sliding in like the canik or walther for example..I am sure it has to do with that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 6:22 PM, mrvip27 said:

I mean they have the plugs...but the backstraps of glocks go over the frame instead of sliding in like the canik or walther for example..I am sure it has to do with that.

Why not make a brass back strap? 

I'd imagine a large back strap with beaver tail can gain about 2 oz.  Add that with a plug brass or tungsten plug

6 hours ago, sandflea316 said:

Why not make a brass back strap? 

I'd imagine a large back strap with beaver tail can gain about 2 oz.  Add that with a plug brass or tungsten plug

I dont think many people are using the glock backstraps unless you have big hands

• 6 months later...

For all of you guys putting lights on your Carry Optic Glocks, what holsters are you using.

I've always been a Blade-tech guy, but I didn't even see an option for a Gen5 G17/34 with a light.

Also, will a holster for a G34 with light also work for a G17 with the same light?  I tend to always order the G34 holster since I switch back and forth between the 17 and 34 quite regularly.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

For all of you guys putting lights on your Carry Optic Glocks, what holsters are you using.

I've always been a Blade-tech guy, but I didn't even see an option for a Gen5 G17/34 with a light.

Also, will a holster for a G34 with light also work for a G17 with the same light?  I tend to always order the G34 holster since I switch back and forth between the 17 and 34 quite regularly.

Thanks.

I have a Hammer Armament Thunder retention holster and a T1C Optio V2 for the G34 that I use for my Zev OZ9 standard (G17 length). The gun will click when inserted into the Hammer Armament whereas there’s no audible or felt click with the T1C if that matters.

I also have a Midwest Tactical Solutions Gunslinger for my Sig P320 AXG Pro. I just wanted an obnoxious splatter pattern cordura covered holster, which they offered.

The Phlster floodlight is nice because it’s universal and ships right away. It serves it’s purpose while waiting for a custom holster. Not sure if it’s the AXG’s Pro slide, but the slides top corners drag quite a bit when it’s setup with enough tension. There’s now 2 very noticeable grooves inside where the slide rubs. While serviceable, it’s not the smoothest, but than again it’s made to fit a specific gun.

All my holster are for the TLR-1.

1uhvU7Zl.jpg

Thanks for the inputs.  I think I'm going to try mounting my ToniSystems 4.5 oz frame weight and give it another try before I start blowing money on lights and holsters.  I'm pretty sure I gave the frame weight a decent workout last year and decided it wasn't for me, but maybe this time will be different???

Ok, so I'm way too impatient to give the frame weight a full workout.  I bought a light, now I need a holster.  @tt350z, those are nice options, I like the versatility of the Phlster since I'm a lefty, and if it doesn't work out for me, it would be much easier to find someone who could use it.

I recently picked up a Comp-Tac International for my G48 and it seems like a very well made holster.  I've been using their mag holders for years, but this was my first holster from them.

Does anyone have any input about the Comp-Tac International holster with weapon light???

Thanks.