Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Redding Competition Seat Die

adamastergunner

I bought the Redding 9mm competition die based on all the talk and articles I read stating this die is the most accurate for seating bullets. Let me say I am not seeing this come to fruition. I have set the die up and I am getting huge differences in OAL from bullet to bullet. I thought this die would maybe have a difference of .01 or so but I am getting differences greater than that and in some cases a OAL difference of .10. What gives? I am shooting USPSA Limited Minor and these differences can cause issues when going to chrono. Any help in setting this up to not have a huge OAL difference would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, George16 said:

I removed the spring on mine and it was more consistent. I’ll take a picture of the instructions and post it when I get home.

Yep, I bought one and sold it because it was more accurate without the spring. I bought a redding pro seater for 30 bucks that has very fine threads and works perfect.

2 hours ago, adamastergunner said:

George16 that would be great. I thought the spring was needed as the stopper for seating portion of the die?

As promised, here’s a couple of pics of the instructions.

operating instructions

A1-AE9-B30-F05-C-4-DBA-A3-A0-667-A396-DB

setup and operation

D4-E73497-99-B2-490-B-842-A-0-E0-D6-BB0-

Hope these pictures help.

@ sarge, I also have the pro seater and knowing what I know now, I should have never spent the money on the micrometer seating die. Oh well, live and learn.

I have six or seven micrometer seating dies for different calibers and don't have OAL issues with any of them.  The most I ever see is .002 and that's typically due to variation in the bullet ogive.  So could be something wrong with the die or how it's set up.

18 hours ago, adamastergunner said:

I am shooting USPSA Limited Minor and these differences can cause issues when going to chrono. Any help in setting this up to not have a huge OAL difference would be greatly appreciated.

That's where most problems start, believing minute differences actually matter.

You should have just stuck with your original equipment.

20 hours ago, George16 said:

I removed the spring on mine and it was more consistent. I’ll take a picture of the instructions and post it when I get home.

Did you need to install a spacer when replacing the spring or just remove the spring all together?

Edited by Boomstick303

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

Did you need to install a spacer when replacing the spring or just remove the spring all together?

just remove the spring. this helps most when using mixed brass.

Where the die comes in handy is if you change bullet shape, weight, or manufacture. Once you get the oal you want you record your die setting and you can  go back and it will get you close to the oal you want. I’ve found in 9mm you can get variation as much as .010 plus or minus. If your looking for less than .001 forget it. It used to drive me nuts but I’ve learned to live with it. There are just too many variables that you can’t control. Bullet length, bullet ogive, mixed brass, the way you work the press, and probably more that I can’t think of. The die seats off the ogive and the manufactures get that pretty close, so even though your oal might vary the amount of bullet that in the case is pretty much spot on, and that’s what matters. When loading 9mm after finding your max oal, for that barrel you shorten that by .015, to .020 and call it good. Otherwise you’ll go nuts trying for that perfect oal.

5 hours ago, rooster said:

I’ve found in 9mm you can get variation as much as .010 plus or minus. If your looking for less than .001 forget it. It used to drive me nuts but I’ve learned to live with it. There are just too many variables that you can’t control. Bullet length, bullet ogive, mixed brass, the way you work the press, and probably more that I can’t think of. The die seats off the ogive and the manufactures get that pretty close, so even though your oal might vary the amount of bullet that in the case is pretty much spot on, and that’s what matters. When loading 9mm after finding your max oal, for that barrel you shorten that by .015, to .020 and call it good. Otherwise you’ll go nuts trying for that perfect oal.

Exactly!

Like I said...believing minute differences actually matter.

Edited by 4n2t0

6 hours ago, rooster said:

Where the die comes in handy is if you change bullet shape, weight, or manufacture. Once you get the oal you want you record your die setting and you can  go back and it will get you close to the oal you want. I’ve found in 9mm you can get variation as much as .010 plus or minus. If your looking for less than .001 forget it. It used to drive me nuts but I’ve learned to live with it. There are just too many variables that you can’t control. Bullet length, bullet ogive, mixed brass, the way you work the press, and probably more that I can’t think of. The die seats off the ogive and the manufactures get that pretty close, so even though your oal might vary the amount of bullet that in the case is pretty much spot on, and that’s what matters. When loading 9mm after finding your max oal, for that barrel you shorten that by .015, to .020 and call it good. Otherwise you’ll go nuts trying for that perfect oal.

.02 OAL difference when shooting right at the minimum for minor pf is huge. You may have issues if required to chrono. That is why I am trying to get the variation down.

Most shooters strive for around 135pf, trying to get close to 125 is asking for trouble. The chronos can be off, you might be shooting in cold wheather, bullet weights vary. If your around 130 to 135pf that .020 doesn’t matter. Your die is not going to be off .020. The variation for 9mm is +or- .010. And that’s generous. You’ll be more like .005 max.

38 minutes ago, rooster said:

Most shooters strive for around 135pf, trying to get close to 125 is asking for trouble. The chronos can be off, you might be shooting in cold wheather, bullet weights vary. If your around 130 to 135pf that .020 doesn’t matter. Your die is not going to be off .020. The variation for 9mm is +or- .010. And that’s generous. You’ll be more like .005 max.

You keep smashing these outta the park!