Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Redding Competition Seat Die

adamastergunner

20 hours ago, rooster said:

When loading 9mm after finding your max oal, for that barrel you shorten that by .015, to .020 and call it good. Otherwise you’ll go nuts trying for that perfect oal.

max oal is just short of where you can't spin the round in the chamber because it's touching the lands?

1 hour ago, davsco said:

max oal is just short of where you can't spin the round in the chamber because it's touching the lands?

and/or magazine restriction (usually when loading very long). Sometimes, again rare, length can cause feeding issues. Obviously in this situation selecting an OAL that fixes the problem is required.

1394924484_CZOAL.jpeg.f487993e2b5e4c153aa6e3df5d5f70ea.jpeg2124016797_DetermineOAL.gif.535bb6b1b0029f1deeed297802210c2b.gif

Edited by 4n2t0

• 1 month later...

Any Seating die will only be as accurate as a seating stem fitted to the bullet profile.

The better the seating stem hugs the bullet by Ogive/sides and not touching the tip of the bullet. The better your OAL will be.

I've had issues with seating depth using the redding comp die only when I didn't pull the stem out and clean off all of the factory rust protectant like the instructions say.  That stuff really makes it sticky and inconsistent.

• 2 years later...
On 2/5/2024 at 8:52 AM, SierraMike said:

Hi, I solved my variations in seating depth with a new and weaker spring for the redding competition seating die. The original is for my brass to strong. With this weaker spring, the stem runs down and my lengths are all the same.

Here an example:

https://www.sodemann-federn.de/22060

With the approval of Redding Customer Service and Engineering, it's ok to completely remove the spring if the die has been disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated per instructions.

Myself, and many others here, have removed the spring and are using the die with excellent results in depth/OAL consistency.

Check the previous posts in this thread............

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

3 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

With the approval of Redding Customer Service and Engineering, it's ok to completely remove the spring if the die has been disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated per instructions.

I'm confused, When I purchased my Redding seating dies I remember the instructions said to dismantle and clean before use. I didn't know I needed approval to modify the dies for my needs. Just saying.

BTW glad to read a lighter spring for fixes the pistol seating issue. 

7 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

I'm confused, When I purchased my Redding seating dies I remember the instructions said to dismantle and clean before use. I didn't know I needed approval to modify the dies for my needs. Just saying.

Doesn't need approval!  

I have a friend that's an Engineer at Redding and he told me it was perfectly alright to remove the spring and use the die without it!  

I did that and am experiencing excellent OAL consistency!

16 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Doesn't need approval!  

I have a friend that's an Engineer at Redding and he told me it was perfectly alright to remove the spring and use the die without it!  

I did that and am experiencing excellent OAL consistency!

Did you have to re-adjust the micrometer setting after removing the spring?

16 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I installed the new lighter springs in my 9mm, 357mag and 45ACP redding seating dies, works perfectly for me. I still have the full bullet guidance support but no strong compressed spring is pushing the bullet deeper in my softer cases. And the stem travels flawlessly down when lowering my dillon baseplate. For me the best solution with this weaker spring. I hope this information is helpful for you. 

54 minutes ago, SierraMike said:

I installed the new lighter springs in my 9mm, 357mag and 45ACP redding seating dies, works perfectly for me. I still have the full bullet guidance support but no strong compressed spring is pushing the bullet deeper in my softer cases. And the stem travels flawlessly down when lowering my dillon baseplate. For me the best solution with this weaker spring. I hope this information is helpful for you. 

Thanks, I will give those springs a try

10 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Did you have to re-adjust the micrometer setting after removing the spring?

Don't remember as it's been a while ago since I removed the spring....but if so, it would be a simple matter of adjusting the micrometer a few "clicks".

Using quality JHP bullets, my Redding with NO SPRING averages OALs in the +/- .0025" range once the shell plate is full.

👍 

On 2/7/2024 at 6:41 AM, Blackstone45 said:

Thanks, I will give those springs a try

You can also shorten the spring while waiting for the weaker spring. I tried a shortened spring but decided using the due without the spring because of more consistent OAL. 

Give it a try and see what works better for you.

• 1 month later...

I have one as well.  I don’t believe it’s all that it’s hyped up to be.  I seat my bullets just fine with any other die I own.