Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody use an extended firing pin in an S&W 617 (.22 cal)?

ysrracer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine an extended pin could strike the edge of the chamber when dry fired.

It's not a good habit to dry fire a 22, but in my 12 years as a gunsmith I've only seen one rimfire Smith that had a firing pin long enough to cause a problem.

Ok, how about this. My gun is 100% reliable with Federal Auto Match, both single and double action.

However, with Agulia ammo it's about 25% reliable in double action, but 100% in single action.

Will my new Apex hammer fix this?

2 minutes ago, revoman said:

Easy fix don’t shoot Agulia. This is not rocket science quit trying to make it so. 

I'm a perfect world I wouldn't have to. I'd just order up a few cases of Federal Auto Match and pay $139 a case, not $359 like it's going for now :)

I no longer have any patience for trivial subjects. Spent the last 18 days in Covid ICU. During this tome I found I had friends go in and never come out. Shoot what works and practice more will get you there not gadgets. 

Sorry

Dean

3 minutes ago, revoman said:

Hope to meet you someday please don’t take it personal what I say I just now have a different outlook on life. ✌🏻

Live your life to the fullest, you only get one crack at it.

As mentioned above try the factory firing pin before swapping for something different, I have been trying to get the trigger pull on my 617 below 7 1/4 pounds, the first thing I did was remove the .510 firing pin I had from Apex and install a .505 from power custom, ignition was better  but not 100% especially in cold weather. I finally removed the Apex Mass driver and installed a wide spur factory hammer and a .496 factory firing pin. Ignition is now 100% with Remington, Winchester and CCI std velocity ammo. DA is still 7 1/4 and trigger return is crisp.

2 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Is the black thingy supposed to be crashing into the skinny thingy?

414497252.jpg

NO that is the rebound slide and the skinny thing is the main spring. if you tighten up the strain screw it will put more arch in the spring and it should clear it.

I must be doing something wrong, the trigger pull actually feels heavier with the new Apex hammer.

If only there were people out there that specialized in working on other people's guns.

I need to find one of those guys :)