Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody use an extended firing pin in an S&W 617 (.22 cal)?

ysrracer

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/18/2020 at 6:47 AM, PatJones said:

I'd imagine an extended pin could strike the edge of the chamber when dry fired.

It's not a good habit to dry fire a 22, but in my 12 years as a gunsmith I've only seen one rimfire Smith that had a firing pin long enough to cause a problem.

Hi. My s&w 617 is making a ratling noice. It’s not from the hamerblock .Do you Know what it could be?

11 hours ago, Oskar said:

Hi. My s&w 617 is making a ratling noice. It’s not from the hamerblock .Do you Know what it could be?

Could be the FP spring has collapsed, in my 625 it looked burnt and fell apart?  One of the studs could be broken?  Couls be a piece of the lock, if it has one, has broken off?  Could be something fell into the action while the hammer was back?

Does the action still operate as usual?  Does it rattle at rest and/or with trigger all the way back?  Give us some more info.

• 5 months later...
On 11/14/2022 at 4:39 AM, Oskar said:

How do you know that its not the hammer block? Rattles even if you remove it? Mine rattles as well and it is the hammer block in my case.

EDIT: My rear sight rattles also. It moves a bit in front/back direction and can make a rattling noice. No movement sideways.

Edited by 617