Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you shoot other (non-revolver) pistols?

matteekay

It's probably been discussed here ad nauseum but let's be honest - this forum is pretty quiet. So let's do it again!

What's your relationship to shooting non-revolver guns in competition? I've been shooting revolver more-or-less exclusively for my whole competitive career (all of five-ish years), taking occasional breaks to classify on other guns. I recently decided to put down revolver again and focus on shooting with optics and work on some shooting mechanics (other than reloading whenever I move 🙄) . I'm already starting to miss my wheelguns, and not just because the switch to dots has been brutal...

So, how's it by all of you - do you mix bottom-feeders with your revolver shooting? How often? Dot or irons?

I shoot pins once a month and usually sign up for 2 divisions. Major,, which my gun has been a work in progress and has yet to really work well for me.
And revolver which I rarely mess with other than at the pin match...
And of course I am doing really well with revolver and usually beat my major scores. so much so that I think I will buy a comped 8 shot revolver and shoot that in major, vs my 6" 45 1911 with slide ride optic.
Last 2 matches have been ruined due to the reddot. 1 was a battery issue,, and for some reason the zero shifted in my range bag over night on the second... Bout to throw these things all in the garbage where they belong and go back to sights.

I've been shooting revos exclusively in competition since 1979. I shoot a bit of semi auto, shotgun and rifle recreationally, but only revo for competition. I have tried shooting auto in matches, but find I end up putting 6 or 8 pounds of pressure on a 2 lb. single action trigger when on the clock. This leads to ADs. They all go downrange, but not the way to win a match. Revo and auto are 2 different animals, and you have to spend a lot of time with both to shoot each one well. I went the KISS route and just stayed with revo, although I often compete against autos, single shots and bolt action pistols in doing so. The single shots and bolt actions are in Metallic Silhouette, where you shoot a handgun from 50 to 200 meters. For those who are metric challenged, 200 meters is about 218 yards.

I never switched over to autos in the previous century when a lot of my friends did because I watched them all having jams of one kind or another that I never had to deal with. I have only had a tiny fraction of stoppages with revos in all those years. Nothing mechanical is perfect. Any gun can have a problem. I like autos and think they are a cool type of gun. After all these years with revos, they just aren't for me when it come to shooting matches. I do shoot with iron sights, red dot, and crosshair scope on revolvers. Never had any problems going from one to the other of those.

I mix things up allot, when I got into the sport I shot different divisions on Saturday and Sunday at different matches, when I got my 625 I mixed that into the mess, I spent about half of 1 season focused on Revo in 2012 then the * shot rule came in and I didn't shoot the 625 at USPSA till last weekend, then I got a 627 in 2017 and started shooting revos again, pre covid  I was shooting Revo and Open mixed about 60% Open 40% Revo, mostly based on what I felt like doing that day, or for larger matches if there was no competition in Revo I would swap to Open at the last minute. Since covid messed up the year I have been shooting a mish mash of everything with Revo only making up about 20% and have realy only shot about 25% of my normal amount. 

I shot revolver exclusively for the first 3 years of competition, both USPSA and ICORE. I then picked up a single stack so I could shoot both single stack and revo nats at pasa park. I shot production for a couple years too, but I always came back to revolver for 2 to 3 months in the spring before the Rocky Mountain ICORE regional.

You can't dabble in other divisions, you have to stick with it for a while but there are things to be learned.

I've just started playing with my wife's backup Shadow 2 that's got an RTS2.  Have not shot it it yet but doing some dryfire and so far my index with the dot is pretty spot on. 

Reloads..eh.... suck ****.  Not sure if it's the magnet DAA pouches that work great for stainless 2011 mags but hold the non-stainless CZ mags really well.  Or the lack of a magwell or the flare on the  bottom of grip panel.  I'll give it a go anyway.  The purpose was to try a dot for the indoor season as my aging eye's don't see irons well indoors.  And open revo is the most misplaced gun in IPSC.

I've also been toying with trying open in 2021.  I like to go fast and I know you can miss even faster with an open gun.  But I'm never going to beat a decent open shooter at an IPSC match with a wheelgun. We'd still travel to ICORE matches as it's as it's fun to meet old friends and shoot guns  but probably stick to an auto for IPSC.   And ICORE has really died around here.

Edited by MikeyScuba

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

I do shoot with iron sights, red dot, and crosshair scope on revolvers. Never had any problems going from one to the other of those.

I'm starting to think my brain is just broken, lol. In reality, I probably just need a ton more practice with dots. 

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

I shoot Production mostly, but love shooting this in pin matches. S&W 610 with a custom heavy barrel.

{sexy.jpg}

I love heavy barrels. Unfluted cylinder, too? Yes, please.

55 minutes ago, PatJones said:

I shot revolver exclusively for the first 3 years of competition, both USPSA and ICORE. I then picked up a single stack so I could shoot both single stack and revo nats at pasa park. I shot production for a couple years too, but I always came back to revolver for 2 to 3 months in the spring before the Rocky Mountain ICORE regional.

You can't dabble in other divisions, you have to stick with it for a while but there are things to be learned.

I think I'll shoot autos through the winter and look to pick the wheelguns (well, hexguns) back up for the spring season. I realize I've never asked you - how long have you been competing?

52 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

I've also been toying with trying open in 2021.  I like to go fast and I know you can miss even faster with an open gun.  But I'm never going to beat a decent open shooter at an IPSC match with a wheelgun. We'd still travel to ICORE matches as it's as it's fun to meet old friends and shoot guns  but probably stick to an auto for IPSC.   And ICORE has really died around here.

Revolver to Open has been such a painful jump. I will say that it's starting to help with my shot-calling even though it's only been a month or two. It's also making me more confident on tricky shots (targets stacked with No-Shoots, etc) and hopefully that's a good thing when I go back to irons...

You should totally come out for the Rocky Mountain Regional in 2021. There's a new guy running it - I hear he's swell.

It isnt very often that I shoot a handgun other than a revolver for the past several years.  When I do switch it up I normally grab a PCC so I dont unlearn my revo stuff.

I am hoping to make the 2021 Regional ICORE Match.  It just depends on if I am out fighting forest fires.  The past couple years have been rough on my summer shooting schedule.

23 minutes ago, Tom Freeman said:

It isnt very often that I shoot a handgun other than a revolver for the past several years.  When I do switch it up I normally grab a PCC so I dont unlearn my revo stuff.

I am hoping to make the 2021 Regional ICORE Match.  It just depends on if I am out fighting forest fires.  The past couple years have been rough on my summer shooting schedule.

Hopefully nature cooperates and you can make it up.

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

I'm starting to think my brain is just broken, lol. In reality, I probably just need a ton more practice with dots...

...I think I'll shoot autos through the winter and look to pick the wheelguns (well, hexguns) back up for the spring season. I realize I've never asked you - how long have you been competing?

In practice try putting a paster on the front of your optic and use it as an occluded eye scope. It'll force you to focus on the target, not the dot.

I started shooting ICORE in early 2012 and USPSA shortly thereafter.

You should totally come out for the Rocky Mountain Regional in 2021. There's a new guy running it - I hear he's swell.

I'm not hoping for much in 2021, travel wise.  It might be ok but I'm not holding out much hope.

3 minutes ago, PatJones said:

In practice try putting a paster on the front of your optic and use it as an occluded eye scope. It'll force you to focus on the target, not the dot.

My wife had all kinds of dot issues but is cross eye dominant.  She puts  opaque tape across  one eye.

I had non of the dot issues.  My other problem beside reloads on the SD2 is keeping the finger depressed the the trigger during dryfire.

Well I started in 1978, shot a m28 in 1992?, when they divided into Open & Limited, to get classified in Limited (only gun I had that qualified).  When Revo Division started up had a M29-3 cut for moon clips and dived in.  Then a PC625 and finally a PC627 (for the money the best competition firearm I've ever owned).  Have a 627Pro with a dot for ICORE Open.  

Set up to shoot Limited (STI), L10/SS (1911's in 45 & 9), Production (G34), CO (G34MOS) and Revolver.  I'd rather shoot Revolvers and like a Dot in ICORE but not so much in USPSA (CO).  The CO Dot is my weakest platform, so it's the one I'm working on most.

FWIW my experience is it's easier for me to practice with a 1911/2011 and then shoot Revolvers in a match without practice.  I have less trouble transitioning from a single action trigger to the Revolvers double action trigger rather than the reverse.  

It seems to me it "should" be easier to go from a striker to a Revolver and back, but I'm not so sure.  I do know going back and forth between a single action (1911) to a double action (Revolver) works but the reverse gives me fits.  If I practice heavily with my Revolvers then go to a 1911 I'm jerky, going from the 1911 to the Revolver I almost instinctively transition to a good roll on the trigger.

BUT IF there is a competition year in 2021 for me I'll probably focus on CO's as it gives me the most incentive to practice (if I'm allowed to legally have any of those evil hicap Glock Magazines).  

Trouble is I LUV to handle any Handgun!

12 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

My wife had all kinds of dot issues but is cross eye dominant.  She puts  opaque tape across  one eye.

I had non of the dot issues.  My other problem beside reloads on the SD2 is keeping the finger depressed the the trigger during dryfire.

That's interesting. I'm also cross-eye dominant; I'm trying to train my draw to bring the gun up in front of my left eye.

18 minutes ago, PatJones said:

I started shooting ICORE in early 2012 and USPSA shortly thereafter.

Dammit man - how are you so much better than me, lol. I guess the next 2-3 years I'll rocket up the classifications... that's how this works, right?

8 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Trouble is I LUV to handle any Handgun!

Ain't that the truth, lol. Half the problem is too many toys and/or newer and shinier is always better....

I’ll shoot my carry guns/ gear in the off season in outlaw or idpa matches. But other than that it’s 100% revolver. 

I think I’ve dug myself a revolver hole, not really sure I could change now. 

Dammit man - how are you so much better than me, lol. I guess the next 2-3 years I'll rocket up the classifications... that's how this works, right?

Spend the winter dryfiring and really push the PAR times.  I made A (finally and barely) in ICORE only to be beat by another Canadian named Mike who outworked me this year.   i got lazy after doing a course earlier in the year and stopped dryfiring. 

I did make M in IPSC revo.  Not sure if that means a whole bunch, but I don't want to push that further as I'm automatically  A class for any other gun I bring.  That's going to be make trying to be an actual A class Open shooter a challenge.  I started in late 2016 and after 18 months quickly figured out shooting matches as practice wasn't working so well. lol

23 hours ago, matteekay said:

That's interesting. I'm also cross-eye dominant; I'm trying to train my draw to bring the gun up in front of my left eye.

Ain't that the truth, lol. Half the problem is too many toys and/or newer and shinier is always better....

So very true!  I pick up a 1911 and it just feels so good, then I spy the 627 and it feels like part of me, then I handle a Glock and I can't wait to shoot it (never thought I'd feel like that about one of them?) and last I gear up my EDC S&W M&P 45 2.0 and well you know the drill.

Then I look up in the ceiling of my Gun Room and there's the AR, VR, 1100 all wanting to be taken out and run.  In my minds eye I see the steel, feel the butt against me, and stoke the trigger oh so lightly to hear the "whap" of the impact....

Yep oh for the days of only having one serious game gun.  But I'll just have to work harder at it.

On 11/23/2020 at 12:15 PM, MikeyScuba said:

I did make M in IPSC revo.  Not sure if that means a whole bunch, but I don't want to push that further as I'm automatically  A class for any other gun I bring.  That's going to be make trying to be an actual A class Open shooter a challenge.  I started in late 2016 and after 18 months quickly figured out shooting matches as practice wasn't working so well. lol

I did this to myself, Made GM in Revo by the skin of my teeth after training a bunch, now I'm a M in everything else and not shooting or training enough to be even close to that level 

I followed a very unusual trajectory, in that I started in Production in 2016, worked my way up through Limited and Carry Optics in 2017-2019, and dove in headfirst on Revolver this year. In 2021, I might burn through the rest of my .40 shooting second gun at some local matches, but I don't plan on getting away from the wheelgun at all for a few years.

Everybody thinks of me as a revolver shooter, and I guess that's sorta true deep down, but with so little competition in USPSA Revolver in recent years, I have been mostly shooting other divisions--mostly Production and Single Stack.  I have no interest in "winning" a division in which I am the only competitor!  I even spent a whole season shooting Open Division with my 2011s, and did fairly well.  I am fortunate to own all the gear for every USPSA division, but at the end of the day, I like the process of stage planning/reloading/gun-handling that comes with the lower-capacity divisions, and I've had a hard time staying interested in Open, Limited, PCC, and Carry Optics.  

Here's a dirty little secret--many dedicated (and competent) revolver shooters are NOT good at handling pistols with single-action triggers because they get so acclimated to the rolling trigger pull of their DA wheelguns.  I know that because I used to be one of those guys!  Eventually I got tired of that situation, and committed myself to learning trigger control with a single-action pull. This has allowed me to enjoy the sport much more, and I love the challenge of shooting back-to-back matches with different guns.  I heard Leatham say one time that "shooting is shooting."  And I think he's right about that.  A good all-around handgunner should be able to be successful with all the various equipment platforms.     

When ammo and primers are available again, buy a bunch and stack it deep.  It will never go down in value, and then you won't have to worry about weathering the next storm.  I know this isn't helpful for folks who are in a bind right now, but they need to learn from this experience and not let it happen again.  Many people would find it sickening to see my hoard of components and loaded ammo.  I probably have a 20-year supply of pretty much everything I will ever need.  My friends will remember when I announced years ago that ammo is the currency of the future, but they aren't laughing at me now.  

I recently started shooting a 45acp revolver at local matches , due to the fact I came across enough large primers and bullets to keep me shooting for awhile. I prefer to shoot open 3 gun matches and saving all my 9mm for those. I just started shooting revolver about a month ago and i really like it. I really like the no lost brass too.

9 hours ago, Carmoney said:

Everybody thinks of me as a revolver shooter, and I guess that's sorta true deep down, but with so little competition in USPSA Revolver in recent years, I have been mostly shooting other divisions--mostly Production and Single Stack.  I have no interest in "winning" a division in which I am the only competitor!  I even spent a whole season shooting Open Division with my 2011s, and did fairly well.  I am fortunate to own all the gear for every USPSA division, but at the end of the day, I like the process of stage planning/reloading/gun-handling that comes with the lower-capacity divisions, and I've had a hard time staying interested in Open, Limited, PCC, and Carry Optics.  

Here's a dirty little secret--many dedicated (and competent) revolver shooters are NOT good at handling pistols with single-action triggers because they get so acclimated to the rolling trigger pull of their DA wheelguns.  I know that because I used to be one of those guys!  Eventually I got tired of that situation, and committed myself to learning trigger control with a single-action pull. This has allowed me to enjoy the sport much more, and I love the challenge of shooting back-to-back matches with different guns.  I heard Leatham say one time that "shooting is shooting."  And I think he's right about that.  A good all-around handgunner should be able to be successful with all the various equipment platforms.     

When ammo and primers are available again, buy a bunch and stack it deep.  It will never go down in value, and then you won't have to worry about weathering the next storm.  I know this isn't helpful for folks who are in a bind right now, but they need to learn from this experience and not let it happen again.  Many people would find it sickening to see my hoard of components and loaded ammo.  I probably have a 20-year supply of pretty much everything I will ever need.  My friends will remember when I announced years ago that ammo is the currency of the future, but they aren't laughing at me now.  

I'll give a huge amen to struggling with a single action trigger:   Once the beeper goes off, I revert to rolling the trigger -- with a single action or even a da/sa I'm invariably Alpha/Charlie or worse.  I have a bunch of 1911's (45, 40 double stack, 10mm and one in 9mm)  and struggle to shoot them well at speed... I always break early and over power the pistol.  I can run a Glock better than others, but not as well as a revo.   I toy with the idea of committing one year to only single action triggers, start down the path, and honestly get frustrated with the level of suck at which I function( plus I'm spoiled and HATE chasing brass).   I've been bouncing around low cap divisions for almost two years, never focusing enough to improve; but just enough to stagnate and diminish my revo skills.   Perhaps its time to commit a year to single action triggers, get some help and improve.  I have enough LPP to shoot as much as I want.   

Where would be a good place to start to stop overpowering the trigger?

Jason