Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 new to me

tomjerry1

Well, went to the range with .037" and .040" moon clips, think I may have figured this beast out.  I was feeling something moving while handling the pistol, I checked cylinder play prior, so I got to looking. I noticed that the bullets were moving in and out of the cylinder while using .035" moon clips. So my thinking is, that the firing pin was striking the primers, but then have to push the moon clips and rounds forward until they stopped, and this maybe causing a light primer strike. So I tried the .037 and .040" clips, both worked, but had a couple light strikes on the .037" moon clip, and the .040" moon clip fired all rounds. I also had a tapered firing pin installed? will try the unaltered firing pin the next time.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was about to order some Bayou 160g’s to try in my 929 after reading recommendations from some older (2015) post. I noticed a lot of folks are using the .358” ones and are saying that a .357” will basically fall through their chamber throats.
 Tested my newer model with some .355” 135g blue bullets and they need a very slight tap to fall through my chamber throats. I’d have to hammer a .357 to get them through. It shoots nice tight groups with the .355 blues so I’ll probably order that size in the 160’s

All this said because I’m wondering if the larger chamber throats and barrels is typical of older 929’s and if others with a newer 929 is seeing the same thing I am. 

Thanks 

Mine likes .035 moon clips btw

Edited by windfred

16 hours ago, windfred said:

I was about to order some Bayou 160g’s to try in my 929 after reading recommendations from some older (2015) post. I noticed a lot of folks are using the .358” ones and are saying that a .357” will basically fall through their chamber throats.
 Tested my newer model with some .355” 135g blue bullets and they need a very slight tap to fall through my chamber throats. I’d have to hammer a .357 to get them through. It shoots nice tight groups with the .355 blues so I’ll probably order that size in the 160’s

All this said because I’m wondering if the larger chamber throats and barrels is typical of older 929’s and if others with a newer 929 is seeing the same thing I am. 

Thanks 

Remember each gun is a different animal.  Some may shoot well with loose throats, etc...It's just "usually" a good seal aids accuracy and decreases leading.

Many sell 100 sample kits, well used to? don't know about their availability with the current shortages.  So try some and if they shoot good, don't stress too much.

I have 2 627's I shoot with 38 short colts.  Both like .355 jacketed bullets and haven't had any issues with .356 coated.  To the point I may well go with Acme .356 135 coated round noses for steel challenge loads, as I can use them in 9mm Glock/1911.  Depending on IF I can get primers in the future!

Edited by pskys2

23 hours ago, windfred said:

I recently got my 929 back from S&W after stupidly sending it in because I could not thread the extractor rod back on....I didn't realize it was reverse thread.  Sigh.

Anyway, I shot it last week at the Hogue Range facility and a full Steel match, all 8 stages and did not have one cylinder lockup.  Ran like a dream.  I recently switched to 0.035 TK moon clips as well.  That was probably my original issue, running with 0.040 moon clips.  Guess I'll hang on to them if I ever start having FTF issues.

One thing I have noticed is I got some of the less expensive blue steel TK moon clips and they load up much easier in my BMT Mooner than the Stainless steel ones.  I'm just shooting steel matches, no ICORE or run and gun matches, so I think I can get by with the blue steel clips.

17 minutes ago, macbolan said:

I recently got my 929 back from S&W after stupidly sending it in because I could not thread the extractor rod back on....I didn't realize it was reverse thread.  Sigh.

Anyway, I shot it last week at the Hogue Range facility and a full Steel match, all 8 stages and did not have one cylinder lockup.  Ran like a dream.  I recently switched to 0.035 TK moon clips as well.  That was probably my original issue, running with 0.040 moon clips.  Guess I'll hang on to them if I ever start having FTF issues.

One thing I have noticed is I got some of the less expensive blue steel TK moon clips and they load up much easier in my BMT Mooner than the Stainless steel ones.  I'm just shooting steel matches, no ICORE or run and gun matches, so I think I can get by with the blue steel clips.

Yep, I couldn't get 0.040 clips to work either, and just sold them. They were too hard to load with Winchester brass in my BMT, and they locked up my cylinder.

Other than costing twice as much as 0.035, what's not to love?

:)

Well I shot in my second steel match since getting my 929 back and this time I had a different kind of failure.  It was a smaller match, only 5 stages but when we got to stage 4 which was Pendulum, I could not for the life of me hit Plate #2.  I was shooting Hi, I was shooting low, it was crazy.  We got to the last stage, Accelerator when I noticed that the front comp was loose.  We got an Allen wrench and screwed the comp cap back on tight and I finished the stage with more normal times and behavior.

Ok, yet another thing to put on my Match pre-flight list.

Extractor rod counter-screwed in tight - Check

Comp cap allen screw still locked tight with locktite - Check

Shooting optics and not Iron sights from now on - Check

53 minutes ago, macbolan said:

Well I shot in my second steel match since getting my 929 back and this time I had a different kind of failure.  It was a smaller match, only 5 stages but when we got to stage 4 which was Pendulum, I could not for the life of me hit Plate #2.  I was shooting Hi, I was shooting low, it was crazy.  We got to the last stage, Accelerator when I noticed that the front comp was loose.  We got an Allen wrench and screwed the comp cap back on tight and I finished the stage with more normal times and behavior.

Glad it's working out for you.  Yes, the 929 is a study in itself.  You really have to keep an eye on everything until you figure it out.  Once you do you will go thousands of rounds with no failure.

The comp coming loose really has an ill effect of groups.  Once that bullet is just touching the comp there is no telling where the bullets will go.  Glad you weren't shooting 50 yard targets.

Blue Loctite is your friend. 

I always have enough moons to get me through an entire Steel Challenge Match without having to reload.  The blue moons help because of their expense and that you are not loading under the clock.

Abbreviated matches can be a lot of fun.  We have two clubs in Phoenix that put on the 8 stages.  I know there are a few other clubs but they are too far for me to drive to.  Someday I'll hitch a ride.

Buy 1000 pieces of Winchester brass for all of your revolver matches.  I've found it to be the most consistent and works great in the moon clips.  As others have mentioned I could not load or unload my brass from the BMX loading tool.  I eventually sold all of my .40 clips for a good price.

2 hours ago, macbolan said:

Your removable “comp” will always come loose, always collect crud and always deflect bullets. If you must keep it, drill the hole out huge and keep it clean. 

And no matter what you do, it will still never comp. 

2 hours ago, macbolan said:

That coming loose is a common issue if not watching it.  Have you shot without the comp on?  Most find it really has little to no benefit and just remove them entirely.  With a 160gr bullet minor load I found it useless.  No longer an issue as I’ve removed the muzzle nub and re-crowned so it cannot be used!!!

Dang !!

Glad I put detailed instructions on how to install my comps for the 929 & 627 😆

Don't forget folks, clean the threaded hole AND the screw with brake cleaner/acetone to get

all the grime and oils off, then the locktite.

Blue is good but red is better for the end of the barrel where it can get warm and loosen the blue,

and if you need heat (ie: a torch) to loosen the red, out at the end of the barrel is the best place imo.

And I have to add I speak from experience, I have the cap on on my stock 627 Super and the comp on

my open 627 Super, they've both remained tight for a number of years, took them both off last year to

clean them and open them up since it seemed like the thing everyone was doing.

Never noticed any bullet impact shift clean or cruded up, but then I'm not that accurate of a shooter !

Alright...Alright...Alright... (Thank you Mathew...)

Remove a comp on a revolver that because of cylinder gap will probably never develop enough gas pressure to be effective........brilliant!!

Looks like thats going to be an additional item I get done when I have an action job performed.  I'm holding off on that until/if/when Federal primers again see the light of day.  I'm shooting winchester primers now and there is no light strike issue or failure to fire.

How about another noob question?  Anybody have a favorite way to clean dirty moon clips after a match?  Do you clean your moon clips?  I just spent half an hour with an old tooth brush and Hoppes with the garage doors open.  I have to wear latex gloves for this, not getting all that crud on my hands.

Thanks,

Mac

Edited by macbolan

Empty all your moons and then just wipe them clean with your favorite cleaning solution.  You can also put them in a sonic cleaner.  I use MPro-7.  I also use it for my magazines.

Blow dry or use an old t-shirt works great.

They do not have to be cleaned often.  

15 hours ago, macbolan said:

Remove a comp on a revolver that because of cylinder gap will probably never develop enough gas pressure to be effective........brilliant!!

Looks like thats going to be an additional item I get done when I have an action job performed.  I'm holding off on that until/if/when Federal primers again see the light of day.  I'm shooting winchester primers now and there is no light strike issue or failure to fire.

How about another noob question?  Anybody have a favorite way to clean dirty moon clips after a match?  Do you clean your moon clips?  I just spent half an hour with an old tooth brush and Hoppes with the garage doors open.  I have to wear latex gloves for this, not getting all that crud on my hands.

Thanks,

Mac

After de-mooning throw them in the tumbler with the brass, or alone.

With loose fitting moon clips i.e. 45 acp ranch I quit doing it.  

With tight fitting moon clips i.e. 38 TK/HearthCo's I do it maybe a month before a big match, maybe.

Not really seen any issues with them being dirty.

As for the Comp, it's not the Cylinder Gap it's the low pressure.  Mag Na Porting works with Magnum loads.  Combine the low pressure & small gas volume with minor loads there's just not much to work with and in the sports we use them in Accuracy is much more important.

If you could find an accurate load, 3" @ 50 yds minimum, with 90 grain bullets, or less, at 1450 f/s you would have something to work with and an effective comp could be designed.

The existing factory comps all seem more like throwing fancy grips on a range beater and calling it a match gun.  Just not quite the same.

Then combine those issues with the extra work of having to keep the comp clean??? Is it really worth it?

Edited by pskys2

18 hours ago, macbolan said:

Thanks,

Mac

Here's what I came up with, a piece of wire from long ago, think it was from my Grandfathers stuff,

don't see why a piece of 12-14 awg copper wouldn't work.

Drop the whole mess in with a batch of dirty brass to be cleaned and there you go.

moonclip cleaning.jpg

18 hours ago, macbolan said:

Thanks,

Mac

Now now, don't believe everything your hear, depending on the load your shooting you may see some

benefits of a comp, though this would mean you'd be shooting in Open class of course.

If you'd like to actually know first hand if a comp will do you any good drop me a pm and I'll send you

one to try out, a credit card number for me to hold will be required but will not be charged if you don't

decide to keep the comp, or you just want to try it out and make up your own mind about it !!

All it will cost you is the $5-$8 dollars in return shipping (hey, I'm not that nice of a guy !!) and the cc

card is just to keep you honest !

Cheap money before you spend the $$$ to chop off the end of that barrel 😉