Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 new to me

tomjerry1

3 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

So I got out yesterday to shoot the new pistol, with the loads for my wife's pistol, it chronoed at 119pf, which I expected, her pistol chronos at 128pf. It shot verything I put in it, of course it is still stock, when the parts come in, I'm going to try and reduce the 14# double action trigger pull, then we'll see? I did have one bullet(that I know) that started to creep/walk out, so guessing my crimp is to light, .378, what are you folks? crimping to. Oh, using 147 Xtreme Plated .356? As far as grouping goes, about 1.5 inches at 25yd.20201101_091317.thumb.jpg.47cdb813c8425e1bc9b63767a41256ac.jpg

I only run coated lead for this reason..  On both plated and jacketed I saw bullet creep and was unwilling to crimp further.  I now Bayou 160gr .358 using FCD and see no bullet movement..

Edited by NoSteel
Spell

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, received my Wilson springs, and TK extended firing pin. So tomorrow I plan on heading to the shop and reducing the 14+lb double action trigger pull. I have read that a 6.5lb trigger is very doable, my question is the rebound springs? I have a 12, 13, and 14lb rebound springs, what effect does this spring have on the system? 

2 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Okay, received my Wilson springs, and TK extended firing pin. So tomorrow I plan on heading to the shop and reducing the 14+lb double action trigger pull. I have read that a 6.5lb trigger is very doable, my question is the rebound springs? I have a 12, 13, and 14lb rebound springs, what effect does this spring have on the system? 

Set your mainspring for 100% ignition, then your rebound spring is just for the resetting of the system. The rebound is 100% personal preference. Some people get a 4 something pound trigger with a light rebound and are good with that. 

A lot of builders use the factory springs and adjust them rather than replace. The spring kits are popular too. I think it’s important to be able to experiment with both and decide what you prefer. 

I have new springs installed, set at 6.25 lb. Extended firing pin also, hopefully to the range to function test/adjust, that 14 lb trigger was pretty bad. 

PS, where can I get a new rear sight blade? I see a lot of folks talk about Weigand, but didn't see on their site.

Edited by tomjerry1

1 hour ago, tomjerry1 said:

I have new springs installed, set at 6.25 lb. Extended firing pin also, hopefully to the range to function test/adjust, that 14 lb trigger was pretty bad. 

PS, where can I get a new rear sight blade? I see a lot of folks talk about Weigand, but didn't see on their site.

Dont bother with those replacement blades.

You cant go wrong with a full replacement assembly.

Check out Bowen Classic arms, I think they are the best ones out there.

https://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

As an alternative - LPA also makes replacements. 

Well I got to the range, had a 10% failure to fire, had to increase main spring pressure to achieve decent ignition. Haven't checked to see what I increased trigger pull to, will get to it tomorrow. The rounds that didn't fire, look like high primers, I hope. At least it's not 14lb. If I can ever find federal primers, I will give it a try, for now CCI spp.

Maybe someone can answer something for me, when I removed the rebound spring, there is a metal rod in the spring, about half inch long. What is that for?

2 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Well I got to the range, had a 10% failure to fire, had to increase main spring pressure to achieve decent ignition. Haven't checked to see what I increased trigger pull to, will get to it tomorrow. The rounds that didn't fire, look like high primers, I hope. At least it's not 14lb. If I can ever find federal primers, I will give it a try, for now CCI spp.

Maybe someone can answer something for me, when I removed the rebound spring, there is a metal rod in the spring, about half inch long. What is that for?

Like a trigger stop. You can leave it out, just extra parts like the lock and flag. 

You may want to use the factory firing pin for cci primers. Most aftermarket don’t fair well against anything but federal.

56 minutes ago, RangerMcFadden said:

As others have said, I’d avoid a new blade. You have to break the windage screw to remove it and you can’t find a new one anywhere really.

Midway sells them. I've bought a few from them.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, tomjerry1 said:

Midway carries OEM RS Blades, I like the tallest one they have (which is what came on my 627PC) I think it's a .196.  Don't like White Outline and the .196 gives a very deep notch.  Actually quite a bit better than a Millet or a Weigand.  For 9.99 you get the blade, don't forget the new windage screw 5.99 and nut 3.29.  Or for 55.99 get a complete assembly https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004431882?pid=242918.

• 1 month later...

3A.jpg.fdf14b1b0de1dc1835831e013d2f36d4.jpg2A.jpg.917385ad15eda484a71e067de9f09040.jpg1A.jpg.1b02ee9d4477fc8ed1644059f4b5bb3f.jpg

Well, still dealing with this monster. Seems like the lowest I can go with the trigger pull is 7.5lb, any lighter, failures to fire. I am using federal spp, boy are they soft. Still issues if I get below 7.5lb. I have tried uniforming primer pockets to ensure I am properly seating primers, really no difference?

Has anyone ever come across the hammer not fully striking the firing pin? I'm grasping for straws. If I use a punch and depress the firing pin from the hammer side, ensuring not to push it below the stop, it looks like the firing pin protrudes more than if I drop the hammer and hold it in the fire position. Also, I'm getting marring on the lower left of the hammer where it strikes the frame below the firing pin.

Still having issues with bullets walking. Adjusted my crimp to .378, Extreme .356/125gr Winchester brass .011. Yes, I use Hornady One Shot

Welcome to my world :)

The only way I could get the bullets no to creep was to crimp the s#!t  out of them.

Some people recommend a U die, but crimping the **** out of them worked for me.

No clue on the failure to fire, sorry.

I had the least amount of bullet creep by using .358 bullets.  Anything less and I had the problem.

I only used Winchester brass for the 929 and did use a U-Die when sizing.   As far as crimping, I would just remove the bell with hardly any crimp.