Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 new to me

tomjerry1

I'm shooting a comp on my Bianchi Cup 686 revo, and it makes a lot of difference. I'm running 125gr. JHP at 135-140 PF and using Power Pistol powder. There is a lot of noise and blast because of the powder, but recoil is less than a bunny fart wadcutter.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I've tested the factory comp, and find no difference. Dave can you post a picture of your comp please?

The side-on view is of the original aluminum config that we tested and the pic of the

two side by side are made out of stainless steel.

And I agree, that thing S&W gives you with the 929's and 627's is an embarrassment

and turns so many folks off of compensators, I doubt Jerry ever gave it a thumbs up.

And a little more on comps, my last post might have seemed like I was peeing on some

folks opinions and that's not what I was trying to do, comps work, porting works, their

effectiveness is all in the eye of the beholder (the person shooting the gun !)

When I created the pictured comp I first tested it with a 130 pf 147 grn load using

Win 231, and in all honesty the results where not mind blowing, and then I shot some

factory 115 grn Blazer thru it, WOW !! and then some 124 grn factory federal, again,

WOW !

And then back to the hand loaded 147's, the more we shot that load, taking the comp

on and off and shooting at the plate rack, my brother and I (it was his 929

I created/tested this out on) found that we were getting back on target quicker with

the comp than without.

A large number of folks around here (New England) shoot 929's and 627's for certain

multiple gun entry matches and they use factory ammo or hotter than us ICORE folks,

so that's where my comps shine, if you're shooting a 160-170 bullet just making 120 pf

then you might not see a huge difference with a comp, but then again you might just

see yourself shooting flatter and quicker, only you can tell if you are.

So the offer is out there to anyone that wants to see if a 929 comp is something that

may work for them, same deal as posted two posts above, just give the comp an

honest chance.

Sorry to use your post for this yssracer, just when I get typing I seem to not know

when to quit !!

comp-04.jpg

thanksgiving.jpg

Edited by 10mmdave

8 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

I'm shooting a comp on my Bianchi Cup 686 revo, and it makes a lot of difference. I'm running 125gr. JHP at 135-140 PF and using Power Pistol powder. There is a lot of noise and blast because of the powder, but recoil is less than a bunny fart wadcutter.

Power Pistol is a great comp powder !!

I shot for 2 years using Clay Dot and found myself trying some new bullets so I went and tried some PP,

that muzzle blast was awesome but the load was still within the power factor I was looking for.

And it made the gun cycle quicker than the clay dot loads (sorry, this was all encountered with a flat gun)

And I bet you're shooting a high pf because of what I just realized last year, power factor is one thing, but the lowest pf doesn't always give the best accuracy (only took 35 yrs to figure out !!)

Often a higher velocity gives tighter groups. A 120 PF doesn't work the comp, or give best groups. With this load and a custom barrel I made, I'm getting 3/8" groups at 25 yd., and a little over an inch at 50 yd. This is with the gun in a Ransom Rest, I can't shoot like that freehand. This way I'm getting the accuracy, low recoil, and I never have to worry about not making PF at the chronograph. AutoComp is another good comp powder, but it burns hotter than PP, so if you're shooting a lot of rounds in quick succession, the hot barrel and cyl. can make reloads pretty uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Bet it's not the factory Comp is it.

7 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

The side-on view is of the original aluminum config that we tested and the pic of the

two side by side are made out of stainless steel.

And I agree, that thing S&W gives you with the 929's and 627's is an embarrassment

and turns so many folks off of compensators, I doubt Jerry ever gave it a thumbs up.

And a little more on comps, my last post might have seemed like I was peeing on some

folks opinions and that's not what I was trying to do, comps work, porting works, their

effectiveness is all in the eye of the beholder (the person shooting the gun !)

When I created the pictured comp I first tested it with a 130 pf 147 grn load using

Win 231, and in all honesty the results where not mind blowing, and then I shot some

factory 115 grn Blazer thru it, WOW !! and then some 124 grn factory federal, again,

WOW !

And then back to the hand loaded 147's, the more we shot that load, taking the comp

on and off and shooting at the plate rack, my brother and I (it was his 929

I created/tested this out on) found that we were getting back on target quicker with

the comp than without.

A large number of folks around here (New England) shoot 929's and 627's for certain

multiple gun entry matches and they use factory ammo or hotter than us ICORE folks,

so that's where my comps shine, if you're shooting a 160-170 bullet just making 120 pf

then you might not see a huge difference with a comp, but then again you might just

see yourself shooting flatter and quicker, only you can tell if you are.

So the offer is out there to anyone that wants to see if a 929 comp is something that

may work for them, same deal as posted two posts above, just give the comp an

honest chance.

Sorry to use your post for this yssracer, just when I get typing I seem to not know

when to quit !!

comp-04.jpg

thanksgiving.jpg

Now these are proper comps. Too bad the factory didn’t hit you up to supply them with these for the guns. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got to the range, new TK hammer and .040 and .037 moon clips. I'm pretty happy, 6.75lb trigger pull and 100% ignition. I wish I'd have taken .035 moon clips, next time. The hammer made a huge improvement, I also put the TK extended firing pin back in, now I'm going to leave it alone and practice, I'm use to 2.5lb triggers.