Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD/XDM

HCH

I always read on the Internet how the XD series of pistols is unreliable. However, I have had nothing but reliability from several XD’s, and the ones I see at matches tend to run well. 

So what is everyone’s experience with them??

Not sure about XDs, but my XDMs have never malfunctioned. I have one that I built for 3 Gun years ago that has all of the upgrades and is pretty nice to shoot.  Kind of fell out of shooting shortly after building it.  I probably would have stayed with XDMs if the had better offerings for Carry Optics when I started shooting USPSA a year ago.  Now I’m too invested in P320s to move away from them, so the XDM will be sold here shortly.  If anyone has interest let me know.  

I never like the XDs.  One. Of the most uncomfortable guns I have ever held. It’s like holding a brick.  

Edited by Boomstick303

I always read on the Internet how the XD series of pistols is unreliable. However, I have had nothing but reliability from several XD’s, and the ones I see at matches tend to run well. 

So what is everyone’s experience with them??

Have an original XD Tactical milled for CO when it first began. Ran great when I was using it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have an XDM, OSP pnly issue I had was it developed light strikes on Wolff primers with the lightest aftermarket spring. Went to the medium spring and havent had a problem sense.

Like any gun you start monkeying with stuff things happen. 
I didnt care for the XD ergonomics. The XDM just seems to fit me better.

When I replied, I should have provided more info.

Mine is a XDm 5.25.  Of significance is I bought a plate and put a red dot on it.  Now, my 14 year old granddaughter is shooting it and shot her first USPSA match last Saturday.  She is so hooked that I am afraid this is going to get expensive 😀.

Mike

15,000 plus rounds through my XDM 5.25......2 failure to fire rounds because of high primers....my fault.  They both went bang the second time through.  Most reliable

pistol out side of the revolvers that I've ever owned. 

I have an old Xd9 I bought years ago. It has been 100% reliable except when I got it full or sand. A little cleaning and lube and it hasn't failed to run since. 

The Internet information is like river water, it needs a little filtering prior to consumption. Plenty of people buy pistols, watch a couple of u-tube videos, shoot a box or two of war ever they find a Walmart and declare themselves experts. With the rare exception of an occasional lemon, most problems are owner induced. 

• 1 month later...

I've had an XDm since they got rebadged, been a dozen or fifteen years with a lot of rounds and never had one issue that I recall.  I do hear stories from certain online "experts" - some may be legitimate but my feeling is an awful lot are SHTF mall ninjas that need stipling for when their gun gets too bloody to grip... and the XD can't keep up with their needs.  Anyway, also have an xd for edc that I never worry about and the XDm is pretty kitted out and shoots great.  

Like many things, comes down to what fits you, what platform you're invested in, and how much aftermarket support you want (and what you're willing to pay for it).

Love my gun, but wish I had a G34 to be honest as the grip shape/grip angle seem to agree with me just a bit more... I don't know that it's quite there, but the XDm feels more upright and taller to me, closer to a 1911 than Glock? Just one opinion 

Bought a couple of the XDM 9's years ago.  Disappointed by the accuracy of the 5.25" Competition pistol.  Bought a 3.8" for carry and the little sucker outshot the big gun.  Everyone who shot the 3.8" liked it better than the 5.25" pistol.

Reliability?  Never, ever had a failure with either one.  Jacketed, plated, lead reloads.  Store bought (very little of that.)  Bullet weights from 115 to 147.  Hollow points, round nosted, or truncated cone, they all ran great.  Better than the my Glock.  Better than my M&Ps  Better than my Browning.

Just started feeling not so comfortable about them and bought that first M&P.  Had a bucket of troubles with it trying to get it to run bought a .40 M&P (which was an improvement over the 9MM).

My wife appropriated the 3.8" because she shot it so well.

Got the 5.25", the M&P 9 and my P09 9MM to the range late last year and neither the XDM or the M&P could keep up with the P09, so back into the safe with them.

Bought an XD 5" Tactical .45 early last year.  Last time I had it at the range I had some failure to fire issues.  Have not take the time to try to track down the cause of that and take care of it.  Same ammo worked fine in the M&P 2.0 .45, just wouldn't go bang in the XD.

Edited by M1A4ME

I think there is a huge following of Glock lovers who detest any other plastic firearm out there. I doubt any of them have ever actually fired anything but a Glock. I use an XDM 5.25 in .40 for 3 Gun, and split time between my CZ and an XDM OSP for regular USPSA matches. The only problem I had with my XDM was cracking the frame because of a weird load combination of 18gr lead bullets, PMC brass, and Unique powder. I had case head separation almost everytime that round was fired.

The XDM fits my hand perfectly, I have sold all of my Glocks because I could never get used to the odd grip angle. Very reliable firearm for sure.

The XD and XDM models have been 100% reliable for our family shooting USPSA for years, the early years. I would guess 35K through a XDM 4.5 and another 25K through a 5.25. We also have a few XDs and even the Croatian HS2000 models. We have since moved to metal guns the STI platform, but still own our XD and XDMs, don't plan on ever getting rid of them. A great value handgun in our experience. 

• 2 weeks later...

i call B.S.on that

the original series now called xd-1  was designed by Ken Hackathorn and  Larry Vickers  for Springfield

i have both of the custom original super tuned from Springfield  to  them,as gifts

re-fitted baretta mags  with custom bottem bumper cut from a tire

Heinie nite sites

match bbl

10 mag each custom fitted

great trigger.

custom green,not production green.

presentation  box.

i have used  Larry's unit for years with Mecgar mags. (Mecgar mags just plain work in anything.)

i am a smith&wesson fan. have 8-9 work guns, shoot3

i always  have and will always have a springfield factory gun redone by defensive creation's.alliance Ohio.

I HATE glock's  i shoot them so poorly. i think they hate ME.

i shot them so poorly the last ft Benning 3-guni attended ,i  came home and sold all 5 i had.

called tdl and told him how poorly i shot them. he said "wait" . he would not tell me under a non-disclosure he signed,

a new gun he knew of(imagine that")was coming.  it was love at 1st site at his house in Maretta .  he loaned" me a sample and 3 mags. shot the p--s out of it

have never had 1 FAILURE of the 4 total i own.  have a s/f across the room i am sitting in now in virgina

i shoot 9mm w.w for fun. speer 124+p and w-w124+p+ for serious stuff.

have never CHANGED 1 PART.

sorry for the bad typing. shrpapnel/arthritis have taken their toll.

jjw

• 1 year later...