Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Ultralight barrel reliability

I'm looking to build an very lightweight PCC upper for steel challenges.  I've decided I want to use a shrouded pistol length barrel - meaning a short 5 - 6" barrel pinned to a shroud (sleeve) to get to 16" length.  The upper will sit on my JP GMR-15 lower with short stroke buffer.  I understand I will need to tweak the weights on the buffer.  The build will incorporate a Smoke PCC CF handguard.  So the question is: What shrouded barrels are reliable  - I'm used to my JP eating anything I throw at it.  99% isn't good enough. 

I'd like some suggestions based on actual experience as to the reliability of various shrouded barrels.  I'm aware of the following manufacturers (I know I'm missing one) of this type of barrel:

JP -   https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM9-5.5UL10

Odin Works - https://www.odinworks.com/product_p/b-9mm-16-sl.htm

Taccom - https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-ar15-ulw-9mm-pcc-ramped-barrel/

Another topic will address the upper - dedicated 9mm or AR15 style.  

Many will say "just go with the JP - buy once, cry once"  and that is a strong possibility but I wanted to look at other options as well. 

Thanks

Phil 

I have the Taccom ULW ramped barrel as well. Except mine is the older one. Taccom makes great stuff for a reasonable price.  Tim is always available with any issues you may have.

Edited by stick

Taccom is like $70.00 - $240.00 than the other two. If the ramp on it works with the JP lower, I don't see any reason to spend the extra money on the other options.

Get the foam "handguard", and I doubt there's a lighter combination out there.

4 hours ago, philmadxx said:

I'm looking to build an very lightweight PCC upper for steel challenges.  I've decided I want to use a shrouded pistol length barrel - meaning a short 5 - 6" barrel pinned to a shroud (sleeve) to get to 16" length.  The upper will sit on my JP GMR-15 lower with short stroke buffer.  I understand I will need to tweak the weights on the buffer.  The build will incorporate a Smoke PCC CF handguard.  So the question is: What shrouded barrels are reliable  - I'm used to my JP eating anything I throw at it.  99% isn't good enough. 

I'd like some suggestions based on actual experience as to the reliability of various shrouded barrels.  I'm aware of the following manufacturers (I know I'm missing one) of this type of barrel:

JP -   https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM9-5.5UL10

Odin Works - https://www.odinworks.com/product_p/b-9mm-16-sl.htm

Taccom - https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-ar15-ulw-9mm-pcc-ramped-barrel/

Another topic will address the upper - dedicated 9mm or AR15 style.  

Many will say "just go with the JP - buy once, cry once"  and that is a strong possibility but I wanted to look at other options as well. 

Thanks

Phil 

I've been running the JP Ultralight for a few years now. It's been extremely reliable, like all JP stuff, and everyone that has shot it has had the same impression - it's perfect for SCSA. I've run up to 4 people on the same PCC at a SCSA match. For reliability there's no other option. 

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Second for TACCOM.  I have their ULW barrel, BCG and buffer system paired with an Angstadt Arms Upper and Lower and its flawless.  I am very happy with it.  Just got the new clean out rod so i can run coated bullets as well.

Edited by Husker95

I have the JP ultralight barrel which has a cleaning port.  My JP GMR-15 works with any ammo that I've tried.

Also, I had a friend shoot many rounds through his non JP ultralight barrel which split at the seam weld and fell off of his PCC in the middle of a stage.  I witnessed it.

There is nothing special about shrouding the barrel that is going to affect reliability.  Most of the discussion is around innovation that is outside of the specifics of shrouding for lightweight. 

For example, I cut  and shrouded the new Ruger PCC barrel.  The gun continues unchanged, eats everything and just is alot lighter upfront.     Taccom  & Wiland and others have added alot of new features to barrels that are great regardless of length. 

Great information guys - thanks!

Tampa - can you name the barrel that split?  Certainly want to avoid that one. 

So far, my list of pros and cons:

JP - Pros - reliable, very robust, cleaning port.  Cons - Expensive  

Taccom - Pros - cost, reliable.  Cons - no cleaning port

Odin Works - Pros - VERY cool looking - blue with a twisted barrels, reasonable price.  Cons - questionable reliability - web search shows some issues, Revolution says it is. 

I think I'm missing one manufacturer of this type of shrouded barrels - any ideas?  Not looking for conventional length barrels that are light.  

Thanks

Phil 

I built a lightweight 5# PCC for my grandaughter using a Taccom ULW 5" barrel complete upper with the shroud. It was before the super feed and so I used a Taccom feed ramp. Gun ran anything and was 99.9% reliable. She ran about 20K rounds thru it over 2 years and I sold it to a buddy who has run another 10K at least. Still super accurate. She wanted a little heavier barrel so now has the super feed 10/16 barrel and it is also super accurate & reliable. Probably 10K on it so far.

gerritm

I used 3 Taccom ULW barrels on my PCC builds... 2 of them have the 5.25" barrel & shroud... the other is the 10" super feed barrel with shroud... all are ultra reliable & have ran 100% from day one.. all are extremely accurate  &.. very competitively priced ........................................... disclaimer:  I do not work for Taccom nor do they compensate me ...

Edited by cecil

+1 for Taccom. The new Superfeed barrel has an upper feed ramp which allows me to run everything I put in it 100%. This includes short stubby Montana Gold 95 gr JHP bullets.

Tim is the best for support and customer service.

I have the Wiland and Taccom ULW and Super Feed ULW and the Super Feed 10/16 barrel - I am having feeding issues with Wiland I installed on FWM side charger.   The older ULW will not fit FWM do to the LRBHO because of wide feed ramp that is why I tried Wiland. Does not seem to like short bullets.  The super Feed 10/16 and the new ported painted Super Feed ULW works with no issues on two other guns. JP just to much $ and never tried.  I will not blame any of the barrels for FTF yet as still working on setups. These are just current observation.

Texaspaul - thanks - that's a lot of good info.  

Matt - I sometimes shoot flatnose 147g for falling steel matches - have you tried those?  

Question - The Taccom barrels have "extreme feed" ramps - basically an extension of the bottom of the barrel - I see what this does - make sense.  What I don't understand is why does this barrel need the extended feed ramp when other barrels without this feature feed 100%.  And if it is so effective, what is the purpose of the "super feed" ramp recently (I think) introduced?  The guns I am most familiar with are the JP and the MBX, I know the JP doesn't have extensions and I'm 99% sure the MBX doesn't either.  I've not seen either fail.  A friend shoots a Palmetto based gun with a Faxon (not sure) barrel and it is also rock solid.  Is the ramp needed or just overkill (which I appreciate)?

Phil

It's not the lower feed ramp on the Taccom Superfeed barrel that's important. In fact, since I'm using Stern defense mag adapter, mine doesn't have a lower ramp, I'm using the one built into the Stern.

The SF barrel has an upper feed ramp which prevents hollow point bullets, particularly ones shaped like the MG 95 gr JHP, from camming up when being stripped from the magazine and getting caught on the top of the chamber causing a jam.

When I tried to shoot these bullets through the prior Taccom version, I couldn't even rack the first round into the chamber. Ive probably got 2,000 rounds through this one without a single problem.

10 hours ago, philmadxx said:

Matt - I sometimes shoot flatnose 147g for falling steel matches - have you tried those?  

Question - The Taccom barrels have "extreme feed" ramps - basically an extension of the bottom of the barrel - I see what this does - make sense.  What I don't understand is why does this barrel need the extended feed ramp when other barrels without this feature feed 100%.  And if it is so effective, what is the purpose of the "super feed" ramp recently (I think) introduced?  The guns I am most familiar with are the JP and the MBX, I know the JP doesn't have extensions and I'm 99% sure the MBX doesn't either.  I've not seen either fail.  A friend shoots a Palmetto based gun with a Faxon (not sure) barrel and it is also rock solid.  Is the ramp needed or just overkill (which I appreciate)?

Phil

We have been shooting PCC's since day one in USPSA & UML 3-gun. I have had several barrels with mixed feeding reliability until I installed the Taccon feed ramps in the uppers.

Now I am running a JP barrel and have had a few feeding issues before. I think this is due not to the barrel but the Glock mags, bullet types, and ammo. I load my own but the there is always variations in the way the mags seat and slight movement/angle of the mags depending on your lower & ejector. I have installed a Taccom feed ramp in my upper and have eliminated feeding issues.

With my GD's Taccom super feed ramp in her barrel I believe it is just one more factor to insure perfect feed angle taking out the mag bcg, or ammo issues. Reliability is the key to success with PCC's. Murphy's law strikes at the worst moments. Are they absolutely necessary, maybe, but to insure reliability they work. 

gerritm

So a couple of things.....

Since we've come out with the lead cutter.......you can run poly coated bullets with no issues and it negates the need for a cleaning port. 

The super feed option on the TACCOM barrels replicate the 'hood' on the popular 1911 pistols....even the Ruger PC carbine has that feature on their rifles.....this pretty much eliminates the round over shooting the top of the chamber. The super feed option in the barrels is an insert and does not have to be put in, so you can run the barrel with any standard bolt. If you do wish to take advantage of the super feed option, you have a few choices....All TACCOM bolts come with the super feed cut which can still be used with any barrel on the market as well as the super feed barrels. Or, you can send in your bolt to TACCOM to have your bolt modified free of charge and yes, again, the modified bolt will still work with any standard 9mm barrel on the market.

I'll come clean....in the beginning, when we made the original ULW barrels......some shrouds (very few) had a lighter press fit and came off.....we've pretty much replaced all those, but there still may be a couple out there. as for numbers.....we ship almost 75 ULW barrels monthly and in the 4 years of manufacture we've had 10 (so far) come back for shroud replacement. All new barrels now have not had the issue, but I suspect there are still a handfull of the older barrels still out there and we do still service them when the issue comes up. As a rule, they have been the silver anodized barrel shrouds. If you feel that you have one of those barrels and suspect that it may be loose.....send it in, and it will be taken care of.

11 hours ago, philmadxx said:

Phil

I have not tried flat nose yet.