Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot on open gun

midatlantic

On 6/7/2020 at 7:56 PM, Unregistered said:

If you're going to shoot open, shoot open properly.

Otherwise, welfare open (CO) is the best option.

This is the most true statment any person getting into open can hear.  To many times lately you see new guys trying to cut corners or try to out think what the best shooters have been doing for years.  There is a formula that is really really good... Use it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to prefer the Slide Ride as there is less getting in my way. I will say that On my next build I will have the slide milled for the optic instead of using an adapter plate. In both of these cases the optic was added after the pistol was already finished with iron sights.

DSCN1269.JPG

z1doX7A.jpg

On 6/12/2020 at 2:40 PM, CaliYeti said:

This is the most true statment any person getting into open can hear.  To many times lately you see new guys trying to cut corners or try to out think what the best shooters have been doing for years.  There is a formula that is really really good... Use it.

And just as often I see guys relying on gadgets thinking because the cool guys do it, it will make them faster. 

3 hours ago, Dranoel said:

And just as often I see guys relying on gadgets thinking because the cool guys do it, it will make them faster. 

Not sure what kind of gadgets you're referring to here. Some actually do, some don't. A red dot over iron sights? That's a gadget, and yes, it does in general make someone shoot faster.

As for this particular topic? A proper and good open gun won't make you a top-tier competitive shooter. But a POS gun won't allow you to be one.

Otherwise, we'd all just be duct taping a red dot sight on to a Hi-Point and calling it a day.

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 7:23 PM, Maximis228 said:

Every single red dot breaks. Dont let others tell you differently. Have backup plans. If you have 1 open gun... get 2 dots... if you have 2 open guns... get 3-4 dots.

This goes for CO guns as well.

except the cmore slideride. those do not break, must be broken by dropping the gun or something. 

never seen a slideride failing. 

On 6/12/2020 at 8:40 PM, CaliYeti said:

This is the most true statment any person getting into open can hear.  To many times lately you see new guys trying to cut corners 

well i disagree partially. i cut a lot of corners. i buy second hand, lightly used czechmates at less than half price, dont "tune" them, etc and i dont think i am having any disadvantage. i spend the saved money in good material for ammo, and the saved time shooting them. 
regarding the original question, a red dot mount is not expensive and can usually be easily installed on any open gun. i think there is no real reason not to use one. 

9 hours ago, gianmarko said:

except the cmore slideride. those do not break, must be broken by dropping the gun or something. 

never seen a slideride failing. 

They only lose zero.... And crack at the windage screw....  Same thing.  They suck. 

2 hours ago, echotango said:

They only lose zero.... And crack at the windage screw....  Same thing.  They suck. 

Yup, they suck so much that they are the most commonly used sight in Open division and have won more matches than all the other red dots combined.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

16 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Yup, they suck so much that they are the most commonly used sight in Open division and have won more matches than all the other red dots combined.

Nolan

😅 Ok. 2015 called... Not recently....

Edited by echotango

11 hours ago, gianmarko said:

but they will not randomly turn off or die in the middle of a match

Oh, they'll do that too.  Seen lenses fall out of 'em and the on-off every other shot failure is notorious.  When the pot gets worn or oily, it can dial backwards and dim the dot during the stage.

But... they worked better than anything else for many years, so that's what we ran.

Hello: I had my first C-More crap out on my two weeks ago. It is a click switch model which I don't like but used it. I need to send it in and see what they say. I still think they are the best for the money. Whoever makes a small red dot sight with a 1" round lens will be the next best thing. I hope it is Holosun with the solar panel as well. For me I think the Sig Romeo 3 Max would be the best for me but I am cheap so I have not bought one to try. Thanks, Eric

On 8/27/2020 at 9:07 PM, shred said:

Oh, they'll do that too.  Seen lenses fall out of 'em and the on-off every other shot failure is notorious.  When the pot gets worn or oily, it can dial backwards and dim the dot during the stage.

But... they worked better than anything else for many years, so that's what we ran.

apart mechanical failures that are most likely result of impacts, there is not much that can go wrong in a slideride. pots of course will wear with time but are relatively easy to replace. the whole board will have to be replaced, but is cheap, and an easy job for any hobbyist, no soldering or special tools required.

i have seen a case of a worn out pot, but red dot was still usable 

there are chinese knockoffs floating around that are very cheap and can be used as source of spare parts.  

5 hours ago, gianmarko said:

apart mechanical failures that are most likely result of impacts, there is not much that can go wrong in a slideride. pots of course will wear with time but are relatively

It doesn't take impact.  Slapping around from being shot enough will do it.  The pot legs can break with enough shooting.  That's a fun one since they make contact sometimes and then not. 

I've got maybe 200,000 rounds and 10+ years through Open pistols with C-more sliderides on them.  They do break.  But they break a lot less than other scopes as yet and they are easy to fix compared to the micro dots.

21 hours ago, shred said:

It doesn't take impact.  Slapping around from being shot enough will do it.  The pot legs can break with enough shooting.  That's a fun one since they make contact sometimes and then not. 

I've got maybe 200,000 rounds and 10+ years through Open pistols with C-more sliderides on them.  They do break.  But they break a lot less than other scopes as yet and they are easy to fix compared to the micro dots.

pot's leg breaking must be quite unusual, never seen it happening. one of my colleague shooter had the pot knob breaking, thats the only cmore pot i have seen failing so far. i am in several clubs and i have a reputation for fixing electronic stuff so i usually know about broken things.
really not much going in inside a slideride...

20200831_140741.jpg

2 hours ago, gianmarko said:

pot's leg breaking must be quite unusual, never seen it happening. one of my colleague shooter had the pot knob breaking, thats the only cmore pot i have seen failing so far. i am in several clubs and i have a reputation for fixing electronic stuff so i usually know about broken things.

20200831_140741.jpg

Kinda a shame with all that board space they don't add an led driver (to give pwm) and ATtiny microprocessor or something to control it.  But I guess simplicity and low parts count has it merits in durability.

2 hours ago, caspian guy said:

Kinda a shame with all that board space they don't add an led driver (to give pwm) and ATtiny microprocessor or something to control it.  But I guess simplicity and low parts count has it merits in durability.

well, thats what engineering is all about 🙂 
years ago i wrote a suite of programs for invoicing, stock management, accounting etc. 
it all fitted on a 1.2 MB floppy disk. a 120MB hard disk would store data for 3 or 4 years of work for a middle size company, with space to spare.
now i have a virtual machine with an empty Windoze 7 running on it. i just had to resize the virtual disk as at 40GB was already full...

5 hours ago, gianmarko said:

20200831_140741.jpg

Agreed.  Here's the rest of the guts circa 2007

and a Youtube on fixing cracked pot legs from 2012.  I've done several for people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p28IIbfYXs

1 hour ago, gianmarko said:

well, thats what engineering is all about 🙂 
years ago i wrote a suite of programs for invoicing, stock management, accounting etc. 
it all fitted on a 1.2 MB floppy disk. a 120MB hard disk would store data for 3 or 4 years of work for a middle size company, with space to spare.
now i have a virtual machine with an empty Windoze 7 running on it. i just had to resize the virtual disk as at 40GB was already full...

I mean in this case you could shorten the thing and extend the battery life... But at this point I suspect they are content to sell them as is to the people who still want them and not incur the additional tooling and engineering costs.

13 hours ago, caspian guy said:

I mean in this case you could shorten the thing and extend the battery life... But at this point I suspect they are content to sell them as is to the people who still want them and not incur the additional tooling and engineering costs.

the only criticism i have towards the old cmore is the brightness of the dot, that in some case is lacking when in full sunlight. that could be solved by a different led emitter i guess. personally i am not a big fan of buttons and id always go for a knob. i dont mind changing batteries often. i use 2 LR44 ( i did tests and  2xLR44 perform slightly better than the single CR1 and is cheaper) 
i am planning to test SR44 button cells, they are more expensive but have a slightly higher voltage and higher capacity. CR1 is lithium, LR44 is alkaline and SR44 is silver oxide. might solve the led brightness issue