Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are X5 Legions holding up?

BryceA

I'm thinking of getting a higher end pistol for carry optics and/or production and I'm curious what are owners experiences are with wear and maintenance for the X5 legions. I'm interested, but a few of my poly pistols are starting to get beat up mag well areas and I'm dreading the day I need to detail strip my P10. I'm also interested in the new Shadow 2 OR but a bit weary of the DA/SA trigger and hear stories about how steel frame guns are really hard on optics (is that actually true?).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the cheap plastic grip for dryfire practice.

Yes it's lighter but the grip is the same and I've made the magwell openings as close to the same as I can

I think you can pick up a plastic grip for around 45.00

I haven't checked in a while since I have 2-3 of them all SilCarbed and with carbide weights ground and installed in them to add some weight.

Works for me , might for you if you're concerned about chewing up the TXG module. FWIW

X-grip $47.99

https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-p320-x5-fullsize-943-medium-grip-shell-black.html

Somebody needs to come up with a liner.

Dawson makes one for the Ice Magwell Funnel so the concept is doable.

The Legion would need a stainless liner that would snap in place.

The market is going to have to get larger to justify a $200,000 investment in tooling, though.

I'm also interested to know what kind of maintenance burden it is. Are you replacing springs all that often or is it Glock level of 'just works'? I hear the shadows are chew through springs and slide stops.

Just now, a_whole_lot_of_freedom said:

If every reload you do is perfect you arnt trying hard enough to improve. Glad to see even this Foum has trolls

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm 93% in Prod, I think I know what trying is. I'm not a troll, I'm calling out delusional and sloppy practice. 

Only issue I’ve had after about 10,000 rounds and a years worth of dry fire was the trigger return spring broke when I put it back together after I took the FCU apart to clean...that was in my regular X5 though. It was an aftermarket part and the company promptly sent me a new one. My legion slide is also a little worn from the holster but last I checked it didn’t affect how the gun shot. 

I Legion slide showed excessive wear after only a month of dryfire, so I sent it to get a DLC coating ($100) and from past experiences with DLC coated guns it will not show any wear.  Does a slide with the finish worn off shoot different?  Nope, but then again I don’t want to have to baby that slide in a humid climate or a rainy match to not get messed up.   I have ZERO problem looking at a chewed up magwell as this does not cause any potential long term issues.  DLC is a great way to go

15 minutes ago, zhunter said:

I Legion slide showed excessive wear after only a month of dryfire, so I sent it to get a DLC coating ($100) and from past experiences with DLC coated guns it will not show any wear.  Does a slide with the finish worn off shoot different?  Nope, but then again I don’t want to have to baby that slide in a humid climate or a rainy match to not get messed up.   I have ZERO problem looking at a chewed up magwell as this does not cause any potential long term issues.  DLC is a great way to go

Any pictures of the refinished slide?

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I'm 93% in Prod, I think I know what trying is. I'm not a troll, I'm calling out delusional and sloppy practice. 

You´re a loudmouth and not nearly as cool as u think u are...

Even many 110% Guys beat up there magwells.

Sounds like the Legion isn't for me: I'm not a 93% prod guy so changes are I'd get annoyed with the $250 grip module getting chewed up. Perhaps I'll checkout the Q5 SF or wait for a S2-OR to come around my parts. I have a good poly-pistol setup now so I'm not in a rush.

Thanks for the info folks!

1 hour ago, BryceA said:

Sounds like the Legion isn't for me: I'm not a 93% prod guy so changes are I'd get annoyed with the $250 grip module getting chewed up. Perhaps I'll checkout the Q5 SF or wait for a S2-OR to come around my parts. I have a good poly-pistol setup now so I'm not in a rush.

Thanks for the info folks!

So, what eaxactly is your intention for the gun?  To shoot production only, or to use the gun for multiple disciplines?  If it only production you will want to Dremel down the inside of the grip where the magazine in inserted to make insertion easy. One of the reasons is, the hole the extended magwell clips into likes to hang up on the front of the mag on reload. The grip module would hold up just fine for production if you modify it or not. If you wanted to be able to reattach the extended magwell again for say 3 gun or something then yeah, the TXG module is probably not for you.