Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up Lee U Die in a Dillon 750

jschroep

How do I set this thing up? The instructions that come with it say to screw it down all the way to the shell plate. So do I just put the press at the top of of it's stroke screw it down till it touches on the shell plate?

Also it seems like the press goes through a sticky spot bear the start of the stroke. Do I need to lubricate the ram? Or does that just need to wear in.

7 hours ago, 36873687 said:

Yes pull handle down screw die in till it kiss the plate. Done

This. When mine is right it just barely makes the tool head wiggle when cycled without cases in place.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

This. When mine is right it just barely makes the tool head wiggle when cycled without cases in place.

Thanks. Should I be trying to swage my brass before loading? I have the swage it for the 750 but running brass through the press twice seems like it will get old quick. 

Edited by jschroep

8 hours ago, jschroep said:

Thanks. Should I be trying to swage my brass before loading? I have the swage it for the 750 but running brass through the press twice seems like it will get old quick. 

I tried the swage it on my 650 and to be honest it really did almost nothing. Since the 650 and 750 does not have a backer the swage it puts huge pressure on the shell plate and pushes it up. 

If you are having a problem with range brass that is crimped I would sort it out before loading, which is what I did until I purchased a 1050. 

So I tried the U die and honestly the thing makes me mad. Half the time the brass doesn't line up so you have to nudge it slightly. The decapping pin is a pain to tighten. 

I said screw it I'm gonna use the Dillon dies. I'll test my loads as I work them up to make sure setback isn't an issue. 

Not really happy with my U die to be honest. 

Edited by jschroep

1 minute ago, AHI said:

set back will not be a issue with Dillon die it actually sizes the case smaller.

Than the Lee. just not as close to the rim.

Good. My dad wants me to load standard 9mm but I really don't wanna have to set the dies up for "normal" 9mm and then readjust them to 9 major. I'm just waiting on my open gun to come in so I can start working up loads on that.

I might make a couple dummy rounds to see how long I can load them.

My builder recommended an OAL so I'm kinda torn between just sticking to that or doing experiments. 

9 minutes ago, AHI said:

set back will not be a issue with Dillon die it actually sizes the case smaller.

Than the Lee. just not as close to the rim.

That seems odd. With certain brass brands I got set back with Dillon die that I don’t get with a Udie. And I mean it was easy to push the bullets in. 

On 5/14/2020 at 8:38 PM, Sarge said:

That seems odd. With certain brass brands I got set back with Dillon die that I don’t get with a Udie. And I mean it was easy to push the bullets in. 

I think there’s something wrong with your Dillon die.  I’ve tried Lee, Hornady, and Mighty Armor and found Dillon was the overall best for resizing and getting the perfect “coke bottle” and tension on all the head stamps. It didn’t matter if I de-cap and resize and then load in two runs or process in one pass the results are always consistent and the same. 

On 5/14/2020 at 8:00 PM, jschroep said:

So I tried the U die and honestly the thing makes me mad. Half the time the brass doesn't line up so you have to nudge it slightly. The decapping pin is a pain to tighten. 

I said screw it I'm gonna use the Dillon dies. I'll test my loads as I work them up to make sure setback isn't an issue. 

Not really happy with my U die to be honest. 

Maybe this is old news; if so I apologize.

1. get the Udie (or any seating die) set for depth

2. then before you tighten the lock ring raise the shell plate with a case at that station until inserted in the die as during normal operation

3. THEN tighten the lock ring

6 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I think there’s something wrong with your Dillon die.  I’ve tried Lee, Hornady, and Mighty Armor and found Dillon was the overall best for resizing and getting the perfect “coke bottle” and tension on all the head stamps. It didn’t matter if I de-cap and resize and then load in two runs or process in one pass the results are always consistent and the same. 

Maybe but it’s been 10 years since switched to a Udie. 

How do I set this thing up? The instructions that come with it say to screw it down all the way to the shell plate. So do I just put the press at the top of of it's stroke screw it down till it touches on the shell plate?

Also it seems like the press goes through a sticky spot bear the start of the stroke. Do I need to lubricate the ram? Or does that just need to wear in.

just watch it on youtube, theres lot of videos how to setup u die..

• 1 year later...

I've had some trouble with my lee sizing die on my new 750. The case seems to move back a touch after it is pushed into the shellplate and this makes it hit the edge of the die rather than go straight in.

I tried to align everything locking down the dies with the cases in the toolhead with no change. 

The dillon die works fine but I'm wondering if there is a fix I am not seeing. I'd like to use the lee die and leave the dillon setup on my 1050. 

2 hours ago, dansedgli said:

I've had some trouble with my lee sizing die on my new 750. The case seems to move back a touch after it is pushed into the shellplate and this makes it hit the edge of the die rather than go straight in.

I tried to align everything locking down the dies with the cases in the toolhead with no change. 

The dillon die works fine but I'm wondering if there is a fix I am not seeing. I'd like to use the lee die and leave the dillon setup on my 1050. 

Try a simple fix first. Qtip with alcohol or cleaner and rub the end of the gizmo that pushes the case in place. If it gets gunked up it will pull the case back slightly before letting go.

I get the same issue with my 650 and UDIE. This fixes it for me

I've been running a Lee U die forever.  Could be the "click" the shellplate makes that moves the case out position.  You could try the kits out there to dampen this (i do)

Given its a new press everything should be aligned.  When you break a index ring dillon will send you an alignment tool.  Oddly though on my automated 650 (for decap and size only) I've broke a f88k tonne of index rings but since I don't have the priming system on it,I've never re-indexed it.  And I've run 150K though it with a Lee U die.  My main issues are the case feed spring, when it's about to go cases get crunched.  But that's at 30K+ rounds.  I think you might want to play with the case feed as well but I don't know it that is different on a 750?

Anyone know how long a die will last?  I use a fluid film type spray oil on the brass (I get it cheap)

Thanks guys.

Its the same case feed mechanism on the 750.

I will make sure its clean but pretty sure it is already clean. It is brand new, I had only loaded 220 rounds of clean 223 prior to switching to 9mm.  

I found a thread about similar problems on a 650 with a ton of fixes. One of them was to adjust the case feed block so it doesnt push the case too hard. That might be it, I had it apart to turn it around for 223 and didn't take note of how well it it pushed the case in when I tightened it up. 

It seems way more complicated than my mk 7 1050. The plan was to downsize but now I'm not sure I could handle it. 

9 hours ago, dansedgli said:

This is what happens if the Camming Pin is not adjusted properly. Make sure it’s properly adjusted.

The procedure is outlined on page 46 of your manual. If this is not properly adjusted, the case will be “jammed in” and bounce back or get “tilted”.

Edited by George16

7 minutes ago, George16 said:

This is what happens if the Camming Pin is not adjusted properly. Make sure it’s properly adjusted.

The procedure is outlined on page 46 of your manual. If this is not properly adjusted, the case will be “jammed in” and bounce back or get “tilted”.

Thanks George, I will check that out tonight. 

I haven't played with that part yet but it might need adjustment. 

Ive found I've needed quite a few little adjustments to get the press running right.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:47 AM, ddc said:

Maybe this is old news; if so I apologize.

1. get the Udie (or any seating die) set for depth

2. then before you tighten the lock ring raise the shell plate with a case at that station until inserted in the die as during normal operation

3. THEN tighten the lock ring

Please don't bring logic and reason into an internet discussion :)