Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to ship a gun?

twister

Send it fed ex or ups, call them and find the warehouse it ships from- most wont allow you to bring it into one of the stores and ship it.

If you ship it as an individual the shop on the other end can ship it directly back to your home. 

Might not be of much help but there must be a US equivalent to the shipping services that I use up here.  It's like an ebay type service where you plug in all the info and you'll get rates from the cheapest to the faste$t.  And they will pick up and deliver via all the major couriers.

This is what I use https://www.freightcom.com/

Saved me a fortune over the years.

Yes went to Fed-Ex to ship a Revolver back to S&W for repairs.  They first said I couldn't unless I had an FFL, I pushed a bit and they admitted I could IF I had a letter from S&W, like a Repair Order.  Which I did.  First time I'd had that happen though.

Not suggesting this but... my hunch is an awful lot of guns have been sent as everyday packages of machine parts or sporting equipment for hundreds of years.

Again not recommended for many reasons.

Unless you are sending the part such as the frame or receiver that has the serial number on it. Then it is just parts. Best I found is to take with me a copy of UPS or FedEx rules for shipping firearms that way when you encounter a anti gun or a misinformed clerk. Pop out the company rules and federal guidelines. I also do this when I fly with a firearm saves a lot of hassle 

With all of the high tech sensing equipment, especially since 9/11 & all of the mass shootings, I'd not be trying to skirt the rules.  One might cross into felonious territory without knowing it!

I called the state police in Indiana roughly 3 years back because I wanted to better understand the law on shipping guns. Ended up talking with a person out of Indianapolis that was supposed to be the expert.

He told me that gun shipping restrictions were determined by the shipping agency more often than by the law. 

Not recommending anything but I suspect that unless I did something stupid ( shipped to a known felon for example), any problems with the rules would not likely be legal problems.

Other thing, I always pay for shipping insurance, one of the locals sent a $5000 open gun and the gunsmith at the other end only received an empty box.

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

He told me that gun shipping restrictions were determined by the shipping agency more often than by the law.

Umm, ahh, I think the Federal Government determined the restrictions.

6 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Umm, ahh, I think the Federal Government determined the restrictions.

Feds determined the USPS restrictions (and hazmat, but that's outside this scope).  UPS and Fedex determined the "You must ship pistols overnight" rules all on their own.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:50 PM, shred said:

Feds determined the USPS restrictions (and hazmat, but that's outside this scope).  UPS and Fedex determined the "You must ship pistols overnight" rules all on their own.

The officer I spoke with said that even the USPS restrictions were determined by the USPS rather than as mandated by law. 

Not to imply that there are not legal regulations about what can be shipped.

Either you misunderstood them, or you received terribly bad advice from somebody who answered the phone at the Indiana State Police. 

This is absolutely a federal criminal matter.      

18 U.S. Code § 1715.Firearms as nonmailable; regulations

prev | next

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable and shall not be deposited in or carried by the mails or delivered by any officer or employee of the Postal Service. Such articles may be conveyed in the mails, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe, for use in connection with their official duty, to officers of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps; to officers of the National Guard or Militia of a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District; to officers of the United States or of a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitments; to employees of the Postal Service; to officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States; and to watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District. Such articles also may be conveyed in the mails to manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein in customary trade shipments, including such articles for repairs or replacement of parts, from one to the other, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe.

Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail according to the direction thereon, or at any place to which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any pistol, revolver, or firearm declared nonmailable by this section, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 781; May 24, 1949, ch. 139, § 40, 63 Stat. 95; Pub. L. 91–375, § 6(j)(24), Aug. 12, 1970, 84 Stat. 779; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147; Pub. L. 104–294, title VI, § 607(f), Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3511.)

6 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Until I researched it with the Indiana State Police I made the same assumption.

Transport of firearms is Federally regulated, not the Indiana State Police. Now, the carriers can have their own rules, as long as they follow FEDERAL regulations.

7 hours ago, Carmoney said:

Either you misunderstood them, or you received terribly bad advice from somebody who answered the phone at the Indiana State Police. 

This is absolutely a federal criminal matter.      

18 U.S. Code § 1715.Firearms as nonmailable; regulations

prev | next

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable and shall not be deposited in or carried by the mails or delivered by any officer or employee of the Postal Service. Such articles may be conveyed in the mails, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe, for use in connection with their official duty, to officers of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps; to officers of the National Guard or Militia of a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District; to officers of the United States or of a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitments; to employees of the Postal Service; to officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States; and to watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District.

Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail according to the direction thereon, or at any place to which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any pistol, revolver, or firearm declared nonmailable by this section, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 781; May 24, 1949, ch. 139, § 40, 63 Stat. 95; Pub. L. 91–375, § 6(j)(24), Aug. 12, 1970, 84 Stat. 779; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147; Pub. L. 104–294, title VI, § 607(f), Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3511.)

"Such articles also may be conveyed in the mails to manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein in customary trade shipments, including such articles for repairs or replacement of parts, from one to the other, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe." 

"capable of being concealed on the person"

As I noted before there are legal regulations, I'm not sure how they determine "capable of being concealed on the person" but assume that describes all common handguns. As your regulation states, we should at least be able to use the post office when shipping a gun to FFL's (bona fide dealers), we can not due to USPS regulations however.

It has been a few years since I last shipped a handgun to Alaska - anyone know if that is still done through USPS? 

7 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Transport of firearms is Federally regulated, not the Indiana State Police. Now, the carriers can have their own rules, as long as they follow FEDERAL regulations.

Exactly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Let me be crystal clear on this:  Handguns can only be shipped through USPS if both sender and recipient are licensees.  That means FFLs on both ends.  I am an attorney and FFL-holder, and I am telling you the law is plenty clear on this subject.  Don't mess around with this stuff.