Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People still waiting on Honchos...

avastcosmicarena

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the coatings are actually what's causing all the delays and headaches, why would they not bring that process in house?  It doesn't require much in the way of time, space or equipment.  And it would cut their cost and cut delivery times considerably.

8 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

Anyone know how many guns they are making and selling? Seems odd coating has been the ongoing delay for years now

last week I was told they “currently have over 50 guns at three different coating companies”

9 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

If the coatings are actually what's causing all the delays and headaches, why would they not bring that process in house?  It doesn't require much in the way of time, space or equipment.  And it would cut their cost and cut delivery times considerably.

i don’t get it either. My fault for not doing enough deep research on PT before I placed my Honcho order. 
But you’re right, coating delays have seemed to plague their throughput for quite a long time.  

For context, my order was built and ready for coating in about 6 weeks. Since then, it’s been sitting and waiting for coating for over 5 months. 

14 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

How much is a DLC coating system, turnkey, installed?

What's the typical leadtime?

What's the ROI?

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

15 hours ago, SergioSF said:

For context, my order was built and ready for coating in about 6 weeks. Since then, it’s been sitting and waiting for coating for over 5 months. 

This is crazy!! They should send the guns in the white and give you a credit to get it coated yourself.  

4 minutes ago, Balakay said:

This is crazy!! They should send the guns in the white and give you a credit to get it coated yourself.  

Unreal isn’t it. There ARE coaters that OTHER well known builders use that have a 5 week turn around. 

Hard chrome and DLC usually take 2-3 weeks. Now I’ve had a few issues with blue, rose gold or TiN taking longer. I’ve got one poor guy waiting on blue PVD now for what seems like forever. Seriously like 2 1/2 to 3 months. 

9 hours ago, Balakay said:

I agree, no coating is worth this long of a wait. And yes, I seriously thought about proposing this but have to weigh the loss of any warranty or support. 

On 4/5/2022 at 8:49 AM, engineerjet said:

Ordered mine black friday. Was quoted the standard 24 weeks. Touched base two weeks ago and they said they just got some honchos back from coating that were ordered Sept-Oct. Unfortunately 50% of them had to be sent back for rework due to quality issues. It sounds like the biggest holdup is the coating process. I don't know whats going on, but if the coating company messed up half an order, they'd better address their QC or PT should find another vendor.

Well this ruined my mood. I got the email that mine was ready for coating Monday. I figured it be a couple months because I know the coating is the slowest part of the process but damn! Looks like I may be longer than that 

I orders on 11/24 and it went to coating on 12/16 and I called today and was told that they had to change the vendor that they used for coatings and that they haven’t gotten the first gun back from the new company yet and they had no timeline on how long it would be☹️

You can get hard chrome, black nitride or a number of other finishes done by reputable companies in a couple weeks. And that's for a consumer.  It'd probably be even faster with a commercial account.  You can also do cerakote in house for a nominal cost.

52 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

You can get hard chrome, black nitride or a number of other finishes done by reputable companies in a couple weeks. And that's for a consumer.  It'd probably be even faster with a commercial account.  You can also do cerakote in house for a nominal cost.

Right?! I don’t understand...

Why have PT chosen to subject themselves and their customers to these delays for so long now. Who knows. It’s certainly not because their coaters do such an awesome job; PT said they send back a significant percentage of guns to be stripped and refinished from each batch. 

By all reports, the gun itself is pretty good. I just wish I did a better job of research and be better prepared for and aware of the long wait. 

30 minutes ago, SergioSF said:

Right?! I don’t understand...

Why have PT chosen to subject themselves and their customers to these delays for so long now. Who knows. It’s certainly not because their coaters do such an awesome job; PT said they send back a significant percentage of guns to be stripped and refinished from each batch. 

By all reports, the gun itself is pretty good. I just wish I did a better job of research and be better prepared for and aware of the long wait. 

They probably get the coatings done for a hell of a price.   

3 minutes ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

They probably get the coatings done for a hell of a price.   

Just pass the increased price on to the buyer and get it done in a month. What hasn’t been passed to the consumer lately? I’d pay an extra $200-300 to get it four months sooner “if” the coater was the hold up. 

9 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Just pass the increased price on to the buyer and get it done in a month. What hasn’t been passed to the consumer lately? I’d pay an extra $200-300 to get it four months sooner “if” the coater was the hold up. 

The demand is there for sure.   Although I don’t really see it lol. But people like those things.   A couple hundred bucks more wouldn’t persuade someone to not buy one.  

12 hours ago, Posvar said:

They could throw in a free locking block

• 2 weeks later...

Been waiting since August.     I'm told I am in the "50% defect rate group" from last month.   Hard to follow how they have all these coatings issues with multiple vendors and that issue seems unique in the industry.   If PT didn't already have a solid business making components for other builders I'd be deeply concerned to find myself in line to be an unsecured creditor.   

5 hours ago, sti2861 said:

Been waiting since August.     I'm told I am in the "50% defect rate group" from last month.   Hard to follow how they have all these coatings issues with multiple vendors and that issue seems unique in the industry.   If PT didn't already have a solid business making components for other builders I'd be deeply concerned to find myself in line to be an unsecured creditor.   

Did they give you a new ETA?

Does your gun get priority for (re)coating or does it go to the back of the line with new orders?

10 hours ago, SergioSF said:

Did they give you a new ETA?

Does your gun get priority for (re)coating or does it go to the back of the line with new orders?

No they specifically said they have no ETA.   No indication my order is being prioritized based on it being from last summer.