Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading my 627, does the cylinder have to click in place?

ysrracer

When I reload my 627, do I have to spin the cylinder until the cylinder stop (bolt thingy) locks into the notch in the cylinder, or can I just close the cylinder and pull the trigger?

Edited by ysrracer

I've never knowingly spun the cylinder.  It does seem there's usually a little inertia and rarely is it not locked by the bolt.

Excessively spinning the cylinder would lead to quicker notch peening.

I have deliberately done it and never had an issue with a misfire or skipped chamber, due to it.

Spinning the cylinder on a 625 and subsequent skips will break you of that habit quickly. Precision equipment deserves to be treated accordingly. Spinning the cylinder on a revolver is for trainees and displays ignorance. Fortunately it's curable. I don't care how much you've done it.That doesn't make it right. 

3 minutes ago, buckaroo45 said:

Spinning the cylinder on a 625 and subsequent skips will break you of that habit quickly. Precision equipment deserves to be treated accordingly. Spinning the cylinder on a revolver is for trainees and displays ignorance. Fortunately it's curable. I don't care how much you've done it.That doesn't make it right. 

Correct. Don’t spin it. Just flick it shut with a snap of the strong hand’s wrist... movie style. 😈

Particularly advisable if it’s someone else’s high end gun, and you do it in front of them.

Edited to further exaggerate sarcasm.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

My 82-year Dad still does this. I am always hollering at him not to sweep me and to keep his finger off the trigger. Of course he is used to 10# triggers. 

I heard that in the old Westerns they used real guns and live rounds, wonder how John Wayne never shot himself in the thigh twirling lever guns and revolvers around?

2 hours ago, Frankly said:

My 82-year Dad still does this. I am always hollering at him not to sweep me and to keep his finger off the trigger. Of course he is used to 10# triggers. 

I heard that in the old Westerns they used real guns and live rounds, wonder how John Wayne never shot himself in the thigh twirling lever guns and revolvers around?

I think they quit that before the 1940's, it was mostly during the Silent Movies.  But I read where, I think it was, "The Public Enemy" with James Cagney had him jump out around a building and duck back behind the corner just as a professional shooter rakes the corner with a Thompson.  Don't know if it's true though.

3 hours ago, buckaroo45 said:

In competition it's just wasted time.  Playing around it's very hard on the lock works for sure.  

I recently watched a couple fairly good revolver shooters slap their cylinders in place with so much force that you could hear the cylinder stop buzzing against the rotating cylinder with every speed reload.

Slap...bzzzzzzz...bang.  

Made me cringe!  

13 hours ago, Carmoney said:

I recently watched a couple fairly good revolver shooters slap their cylinders in place with so much force that you could hear the cylinder stop buzzing against the rotating cylinder with every speed reload.

Slap...bzzzzzzz...bang.  

Made me cringe!  

😏

On 3/18/2020 at 10:13 PM, pskys2 said:

I think they quit that before the 1940's, it was mostly during the Silent Movies.  But I read where, I think it was, "The Public Enemy" with James Cagney had him jump out around a building and duck back behind the corner just as a professional shooter rakes the corner with a Thompson.  Don't know if it's true though.

Yup. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Public_Enemy#Filming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n59j_bO_Q2U

and:

https://www.looper.com/112026/times-movie-fight-scenes-used-real-weapons-purpose/

Edited by superdude

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2020 at 12:51 PM, ysrracer said:

Thanks guys. When I said, "spin the cylinder" what I really meant is, "rotate the cylinder until it locks in place".

I would never "flick" the cylinder closed, "book 'em Dano" style.

Good on ya. Just close it firmly, cylinder position doesn't matter.

You should close the cylinder and index it till it clicks.

I've had a revolver closed and be in a position that I could not pull the trigger till the cylinder was indexed.

Just needs to happen once to mess up a stage.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, WFargo said:

No, that is not correct. Sorry. 

You should not close the cylinder and index it till it clicks. 

No serious revolver shooter does this. It is unnecessary. 

Good luck with that.

Thanks, as everyone shooting revolver seriously in IPSC and USPSA does the same, I'm sure I will be fine. 

Good luck with indexing the cylinder after every reload. I'm sure your times will be good. 

On 6/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, GMM50 said:

Good luck with that.

No need to be contentious, but in a few million clicks I've never found a position that stalls a Smith revolver. I can't speak to other brands, the behavior you're talking about, in my experience, is a slightly open cylinder.

I had to stop and think about how I close the cylinder on the clock. I sure don't close it and index it. 🙂

Closing it is just a product of regaining my weak hand grip and raising the gun, it just kind of happens. 

13 hours ago, MattInTheHat said:

No need to be contentious, but in a few million clicks I've never found a position that stalls a Smith revolver. I can't speak to other brands, the behavior you're talking about, in my experience, is a slightly open cylinder.

This is a place where a hat cam is really nice. 

I have had an issue or two during the heat of the moment in a match when I thought one thing happened, but the playback, sometimes slow motion helps, taught me otherwise.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:41 PM, WFargo said:

No, that is not correct. Sorry. 

You should not close the cylinder and index it till it clicks. 

No serious revolver shooter does this. It is unnecessary. 

Trying to be helpful.

I have closed my cylinder (once) and did not index it and could not pull the trigger.

Had to index the cylinder and then all was OK.

I always index the cylinder so I've never observed it again.

• 1 month later...

In twenty years of shooting S&W revolvers in competition, I have never had to index the cylinder when I closed it.  I have seen people spin the cylinder as they were closing it like it was the Price is Right, but it just sounds like its wearing out the gun unnecessarily. 

On 6/5/2020 at 11:52 AM, GMM50 said:

Trying to be helpful.

I have closed my cylinder (once) and did not index it and could not pull the trigger.

Had to index the cylinder and then all was OK.

I always index the cylinder so I've never observed it again.

Your revolver needs to be fixed.