Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 WON'T RUN MY RELOADS !!!!

TheGoatMumbler

I've had the best luck with Winchester Brass.  I buy 1000 rounds of loaded ammo, shoot that up and then reload the brass.  I never mix between two or more manufacturers. That may be your problem.

At the light loads we use, the brass lasts a long time.  Only brass I don't recommend is Starline.  It always sticks in the cylinders.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I never mix between two or more manufacturers. That may be your problem.

At the light loads we use, the brass lasts a long time.  Only brass I don't recommend is Starline.  It always sticks in the cylinders.

For revo reloads I agree 100%.  Keep the brass the same to eliminate unnecessary variables.

Mystery solved! It was my mistake at the  reloading bench. My scale is small with a small display and I loaded GRAMS, not GRAINS. The rounds were too hot, expanded the case after the first shot and got stuck in the chamber. Fortunately not too hot for any damage. Embarrassing to admit but maybe someone can learn from my mistake. Lesson learned.

These rounds will be used for plinking in my Canik. I shot about 60 rounds of it today so they didn't go to waste. 

5 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Out of curiosity what is a max load for a 929?

147 grain bullet VV N320 3.9 grains 978 fps according to their books. If he was using grams and was thinking .310 was 3.1 grains that put him at 4.9 grains. 
This would give him a compressed load. This is what he had to do as the formula I used early filled up the case and half my powder pan. 

47 minutes ago, revoman said:

147 grain bullet VV N320 3.9 grains 978 fps according to their books. If he was using grams and was thinking .310 was 3.1 grains that put him at 4.9 grains. 
This would give him a compressed load. This is what he had to do as the formula I used early filled up the case and half my powder pan. 

That would punch the hand pretty good....

The case was pretty full. I'd say after seating the bullet it was packed. The rounds we're pretty damn snappy but not "Jump out of your hand" crazy. I now check and recheck and I also adjusted my lighting where I can see right down the filled brass before I seat a bullet.

1 hour ago, TheGoatMumbler said:

The case was pretty full. I'd say after seating the bullet it was packed. The rounds we're pretty damn snappy but not "Jump out of your hand" crazy. I now check and recheck and I also adjusted my lighting where I can see right down the filled brass before I seat a bullet.

How were you reading your scale and where was the decimal point?

Saw this happen to a shooting buddy.  Desired load was 4.5 grains, he was loading .45 grams (6.9 grains).

Luckily, it was a relatively slow burning powder.  As it was, he was shooting a major load in his 9mm auto.

No wonder we thought it sounded "hot".  :^)

On 2/25/2020 at 10:07 AM, jcc7x7 said:

Win or speer brass

No starline in a titanium cyl

That's the first I've heard about no Starline brass in titanium cylinders.  I'm wanting to get a S&W 929 but most of my brass is Starline.  I've always had good results with Starline.  Why is it sticking in titanium chambers?

Edited by bcp

Not sure

I heard all the info on here and then I called SL and spoke to them.

SL told me not to use their brass in the TI cyl.

Also know two guys I shoot ICORE with that didn't believe me and bought SL .

New it seemed to function on the next reload after it had been fired it stuck in their cyl.

They had it up for sale at the next match I was at and then agreed it stuck in the cyl while Win, Speer and Blazer all worked fine

Take it for what it's worth!

My guess is the composition of the brass, it may be softer than other brands.  Combined with the tapered case and the titanium of the cylinder create the issues. Maybe why they are cheaper?

18 hours ago, bcp said:

Well there you go.  Thanks.  I've used Starline in so many pistols and revolvers with good success but haven't owned a 929 (yet).  

Buy the new Ruger 8 shot 9mm and with the steel cylinder should not have a problem.

3 hours ago, revoman said:

Buy the new Ruger 8 shot 9mm and with the steel cylinder should not have a problem.

My 929 went down on me at a match today, again. Need to decide if I want to try and find someone to repair the crane or if I want to deal with the hassles of sending a competition modified gun in for repair.

If the new Ruger triggers can be made even decent there is no way I would not take the new Ruger over the 929. 

Call Smith & Wesson first and tell them you are a competitive shooter and a lot of work has been done to your gun.  I've done it before and they will repair what's wrong and not take out all of my upgrades.  

It's worth asking.

9 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

My 929 went down on me at a match today, again. Need to decide if I want to try and find someone to repair the crane or if I want to deal with the hassles of sending a competition modified gun in for repair.

If the new Ruger triggers can be made even decent there is no way I would not take the new Ruger over the 929. 

Do you mind sharing more of what has happened?  Sounds like something you've experienced before.  I'm trying to decide on some 929's but don't have experience with them.