Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone prefer the older SP-01 Shadow over the Shadow 2?

ck1

Recently picked up a Shadow 2 after getting back into shooting the games again after taking more than a few years off... I was a relatively early adopter of the original SP-01 Shadows and had a few of them that I shot a bunch between 2009-2013, which I sold off to buddies in order to  train with the Glock exclusively because that’s what I had to use for work.

After getting back, and getting more than a few matches under my belt, I missed having a nice trigger and not having to work so hard to make difficult shots beyond 15yrds, and wanted a CZ again, deciding it might take me more money in practice ammo (and of course time) to get as good with the Glock as I was with the CZ’s, and honestly just wanted a better blaster lol.

Shadow 2 is/was the new hotness so I went with that, thing is, within days I ended up doing all the same mods I’d done in the past to SP-01 Shadows: springs, thinner front sight, hammer, disconnector, clean-up/re-profile sear to eliminate the hammer-camming, blah blah blah...

The S2 is still way new to me but I’m having a hard time getting used to it: it’s a beast, like boat anchor heavy, and I’ve handled a few others before buying and never noticed the checkering, but the one I’ve got has to be the sharpest checkering I’ve ever felt on a pistol, it draws blood, it’s like mine was made the day they put fresh cutting blades on their machines at CZ lol! (Most people handle my stippled main Glock and say “ouch”, so I’m no stranger to an aggressive grip texture)

Anyways, my buddy bought a new SP-01 Shadow about the same time I got my S2, and I helped him out tuning his up with the usual stuff... and his S1 feels so much lighter and balanced... thinking I might like the original better (or maybe it’s just muscle-memory).

So anyone out there prefer the S1 SP-01 to the S2? Am I just crazy? Should I give it more time to get used to it? IDK...

Thanks.

I have had many Shadow 1 and also a few Shadow 2...........Yes, the Shadow 2 at first seems very front heavy and like a "boat anchor"....but it always seems to only take a couple months and it feels "normal" and you actually perform better with the added weight in Production and Carry Optics (Production Optics) due less recoil, plus maybe slightly more accurate.....even for people with small hands and getting used to a longer DA reach (which can be corrected with the RRK)......However, pick up a Shadow 1 after getting used to the Shadow 2 and you notice how more "balanced" it feels and much easier to transition with.......................it's almost personal choice as they both are very capable,  however the Shadow 2 eventually wins out performance wise and is an "improved" gun over the Shadow 1........NOTE:  alot of more responses and info you are looking for if you use "search" on this site "Shadow 1 vs Shadow 2 for Carry optics"

Edited by race1911

24 minutes ago, race1911 said:

I have had many Shadow 1 and also a few Shadow 2...........Yes, the Shadow 2 at first seems very front heavy and like a "boat anchor"....but it always seems to only take a couple months and it feels "normal" and you actually perform better with the added weight in Production and Carry Optics (Production Optics) due less recoil, plus maybe slightly more accurate.....even for people with small hands and getting used to a longer DA reach (which can be corrected with the RRK)......However, pick up a Shadow 1 after getting used to the Shadow 2 and you notice how more "balanced" it feels and much easier to transition with.......................it's almost personal choice as they both are very capable,  however the Shadow 2 eventually wins out performance wise and is an "improved" gun over the Shadow 1........NOTE:  alot of more responses and info you are looking for if you use "search" on this site "Shadow 1 vs Shadow 2 for Carry optics"

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I searched the topic, and just seems like more people are making the S1 vs S2 comparison based on making weight for Carry Optics (seems the S1 is much easier to get there as it doesn't require the extra milling an S2 does). I'm just looking to hear some opinions as it pertains to just iron sight/Production type of shooting.

I tend to agree that I really ought to be asking this question after a month or two of shooting the S2 instead of just a couple weeks... I guess I may just get used to the added weight and not even notice it after a while. I bet part of my problem is I'm coming from shooting a light weight Glock for a while, with my brain already pre-programmed with muscle-memory knowing the SP-01/S1 and thinking of that as "heavy"; whereas, the S2 brings "heavy" to a whole other level that's new to me lol.

Discounting weight as a factor, I still strongly prefer the Shadow 1 to the Shadow 2.  It is certainly a personal preference, but the S1 simply seems to fit me and my hand better.  I shoot the S1 better, am able to acquire my initial grip of the pistol from a holster or off a table more readily, and just prefer that pistol over the S2.

But I also prefer the CZ 97B (which is a chunky unit, for sure) over the S2.

Go with what you are comfortable with.

Lots of people still like the SP01 S1 better.  It seems like a big factor is hand size... for people with large hands they usually say the S2 is better overall.

I have both and shoot them both well.  I like certain aspects of the S1 over the S2 and vice versa.

It all comes down to you.

Yes, I prefer the SP01 Shadow even after owning a Shadow 2 as well.  It fits my hand better, points better, and I like that the single-action trigger break is a bit farther forward than that of the Shadow 2.  I must have tried 10 different grips on the Shadow 2 and couldn't get a truly comfortable fit, but with the SP01, just a set of Hogue Rubber grips with the front finger grooves cut off, and it's perfect.

And with this gun I can shoot both SSP and ESP in IDPA, as well as Carry Optics (with an extra slide milled for an optic)...where the Shadow 2 is too heavy.  I even had a Tactical Sport Blue, and instead preferred a long-slide SP01.

Edited by MoRivera

2 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I like that the single-action trigger break is a bit farther forward than that of the Shadow 2.  

Hmmm this is something I was wondering about too... the SA break on my S2 is far enough back that I’d thought about trying a 97/“Thick” trigger at some point to push it forward a tad...

Think I’m gonna shoot it for a month or so and then revisit whether I still want to go back to the S1... I actually like some aspects of the S2 like the larger grip and higher grip cuts, but it still feels like a beast, maybe that’ll change...

Edited by ck1

The SP01 Shadow has the advantage of being more IDPA and Carry Optics Division friendly than the Shadow 2, but I digress.
That said, I agree with many of the comments above dealing with mitt size. I competed with a Shadow 1 for three years and it felt small in my big hands. After that I took the TS / CzechMate + LOG Grips route, so when the S2 first came out I wasn't too thrilled by it. But since switching to IPSC Production Optics Division and learning its trigger, for me personally the Shadow 2 is the ideal machine for turning money into noise, holes and fun.

51 minutes ago, 45 Raven said:

I think it all comes down to personal preference.  I have large hands (size 12 glove).  I prefer the S1 with thin Bogie grips.  Go figure.

I totally get this. For me, large hands as well, the problem is both guns feel good with both style grips lol!
With the old S1 I tried every single grip out there before settling on the factory rubber palmswell ones (Lok Palmswell’s weren’t available yet back then). I got the Lok palmswells with my S2 when I ordered it, and think I’m sticking with those (but I could totally run it with the thin aluminum ones it came with too).

For my hands though, on both Shadows, the thinner ones make the guns feel a little faster to handle, dropping mags and manipulating the controls on the gun is super easy, and if my support-hand lands right it’s like it’s in a vise... but the thicker palmswells naturally point better, and even if I get a bad support-hand placement out of the holster, I still have plenty of real estate to maintain a solid grip, though I’ve got to be deliberate to drop mags every time (big hands, short thumbs)...

It took a bunch of draws on the timer for me to finally decide on the thicker palmswells... the thin ones feel great though, but the clock doesn’t lie. 😝

After just dry firing the S2 for the last couple days around the house, the weirdness/newness of it is already going away, the weight will probably take a little longer to get used to (it might literally weigh more than like half what my PCC does 😝)

Edited by ck1

On 2/23/2020 at 4:18 PM, eerw said:

Play with both everyday. 

still love the SP01 Shadow.

Thanks to eerw  CZcustom did my first Sp01 shadow  . absolutely love the gun . I was about order a S2 . Than  I ran my friends  for a while and ordered another Sp01 shadow SAO  wow  so much more balanced for me than  S2. Had my Friend  run my S1 SAO and after hitting the 100yard 12in plate  4times out 0f 10 rd,  he sold his S2 and got Sp01 shadow.  I have big hands XL gloves are some times tight on me. S1 is still much more comfortable. And can be used in IDPA and USPSA .

Good luck

After some time and some rounds down range (500+rds and a 2-gun match), I think I’m digging the S2... to me there are definitely some things about it that do justify the higher price tag like the checkering and being able to get up a bit higher on the gun due to the subtle grip changes.

That said, if I were to do it over again I’d probably go with the S1 over the S2, mainly because it really isn’t a huge upgrade over the original to me, and except for the thin safeties which the S2 comes with, I ended up upgrading the whole fire-control the same way and doing the same changes/upgrades I would’ve done with an S1 (which I didn’t really expect to have to do since the S2 is billed as being better out of the box).

I may still end up getting another S1, because that may be the only way for me to figure out which version I like better 😝 

I agree that it's all personal preference. I shot an Shadow SP-01 for a few years, did a season with the S2 and didn't like the difference in the frame so I sold it. I currently shoot a CTS LSP with the short dust cover. Adding Lok palm swells feels perfect to me. I would love to try a Bull shadow but can't justify the expense. 

I'm torn between them.  I like the weight distribution and the checkering of the Shadow 2, but the Shadow 1 points more naturally.  Also, I'm probably the oddball here, but I like the original factory rubber grips.

6 hours ago, Almo said:

I'm torn between them.  I like the weight distribution and the checkering of the Shadow 2, but the Shadow 1 points more naturally.  Also, I'm probably the oddball here, but I like the original factory rubber grips.

not oddball . That is why several manufacturers make the same profile just better materials . 

8 hours ago, Almo said:

+1

My main dislike with my Shadow 2 is that the slider serrations are too sharp. I'm always worried about cutting open my fingers when using them aggressively, so I tend to be slow and deliberate. And slow is slow, as we know.

I like the grip of the Shadow 2 better and want to say that I like it better overall.

But the Shadow 1 carries a bit better being a tad shorter, lighter, and slimmer so I'll always have, shoot, and like both.