Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sanity Check: getting OUT of reloading

rjacobs

I was heavy into USPSA shooting and reloading several years ago. I purchased a couple of presses (Hornady LNL) and was reloading several thousand rounds a year. After a few years my wife and I had a couple of kids and moved twice and the reloading equipment stayed boxed up and unused. Just this year I got settled enough to start back into reloading and a higher frequency of shooting, and I am soooo glad that I didn’t get rid of any of my old equipment.

The bottom line is that you may regret it in the future if you sell your stuff, and it is far more likely that if you keep it, that one day you will be VERY glad that you did.

Now I just need to sell all my Hornady stuff and buy a Dillon, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are firmly convinced that you are going to stay out of reloading I'd do as a number have previously suggested.  Clean the equipment, oil what needs to be and pack it all up and forget about it until you have the desire to use it again.  Used equipment will also go up in value - just like new prices - if well maintained and in good working order.

Hate to say it but it seems a 650 isn’t as valuable as it was a year ago. Once in a while I check the state gun  classifieds searching for “Dillon” or “powder”, etc. never see too many Dillons. This week there were 6 or so 650’s. I suspect people are upgrading to 750 or 1100 (or they got a deal on 1050!). or like you, they are giving up. 

good luck with your decision. There sure there are some folks out there looking for a deal (like me) but no one should be paying anywhere close to full price for reloading stuff right now. 

Keep it I got married and had a kid and had to slow down on shooting a little but reloading I always had time for. Once babies are around they nap frequently so you cant leave but you can do stuff. So I'd put her down for a nap and crank out 1000 rounds. My wife was good enough to let me out once a month or so in the beginning more once the baby was older. If you dont take a little time to do the things you want marriage gets hard. I have a second on the way so im not sure what that will do but im keeping my press.

If you are set on selling and buying factory Why not order components to make a crap ton of ammo store it away sealed/with desiccant. you can then sell equipment. That will leave you with 2x the ammo.

I take breaks from shooting and reloading. No way would i ever sell what i have. When i got into it MANY decades ago, i couldn`t replace half of what i have for what i paid for it. With all the high cost of buying it again, (and you KNOW, the price to replace it again is gonna be outrageous) its just ridiculous to sell it all. Ammo crunch`s happen alot more often now, too. Every election cycle proves that. When they thought the dems were going to win in 2016, you couldnt find a box of ammo to save your but, BUT, because people all around me stopped shooting, because they couldn`t buy ammo, i was the guy still out there shoottin every day (almost) because i had reloading gear and components stored for bad times. And i dont see our future as gun owners that this future is going to get any better, its going to get alot worse. 

And whats going to happen when components and gear will not be able to be found, and when you do, you`re gonna pay some awful big money for it. My first progressive press cost me $179 dollars back in the 80`s. That same press today is $500 dollars. Granted it has had some updates thru the years, but still, its going to cost you dearly when you sell, only to get back into it later, and you WILL, because its what we do. I predict the communists are going to tax ammo out of existence. Any of us that reload, will still be able to shoot for awhile, until they ban components, or license and register you to buy the stuff.  

OP, i get what your saying... but do yourself the biggest favor you can, just clean everything, lube it up good, and pack it away. You`ll regret selling everything. Right now you dont see the time, but i guarantee, you WILL, later on. (been there done that, and glad i never sold anything) Now, if you are really hell bent on getting rid of it all, i`ll PM you my address with where to send it all. Then i`ll send you a storage invoice once a month for it just to keep it all dialed in and running fresh for you. [emoji6]

Vice, I totally see the point you’re trying to make, but a lot of the increase in price is due to inflation. After a quick google search (again quick, this may not be the most accurate example), I found an inflation calculator and this is what I came out with:

14890573c8f24c6d1d86be7e6a6a6112.jpg

So while things do go up in price because of demand and stricter gun laws and all of those factors, there is also inflation as well.

To the OP, as pretty much everyone here said it’s probably best to hang onto it for a little while longer, and then after another year or two you still feel the same way and still aren’t shooting then it may be the time to look at selling it. Again, as others have stated, I think your absolute best choice would be to take one weekend a month for the next couple months and just absolutely crank out rounds and try to make it through as much as you can/all of your components then you shouldn’t need to buy any ammo for a long time. Or if you can only afford one or two weekends, spend that time working on it and sell off the rest if you think that’s the route you want to go.

After all this, you probably should’ve expected these answers right? This is a reloading and shooting forum and everyone will always try to keep you in the sport [emoji6] good luck with your decision

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Vice, I totally see the point you’re trying to make, but a lot of the increase in price is due to inflation. After a quick google search (again quick, this may not be the most accurate example), I found an inflation calculator and this is what I came out with:

14890573c8f24c6d1d86be7e6a6a6112.jpg

So while things do go up in price because of demand and stricter gun laws and all of those factors, there is also inflation as well.

To the OP, as pretty much everyone here said it’s probably best to hang onto it for a little while longer, and then after another year or two you still feel the same way and still aren’t shooting then it may be the time to look at selling it. Again, as others have stated, I think your absolute best choice would be to take one weekend a month for the next couple months and just absolutely crank out rounds and try to make it through as much as you can/all of your components then you shouldn’t need to buy any ammo for a long time. Or if you can only afford one or two weekends, spend that time working on it and sell off the rest if you think that’s the route you want to go.

After all this, you probably should’ve expected these answers right? This is a reloading and shooting forum and everyone will always try to keep you in the sport emoji6.png good luck with your decision

I hear yah... i did consider inflation. Thats the parts that sucks...lol. Sure would like it to go back 30yrs just for one day so i could buy up some more components...lol. ;)

I hear yah... i did consider inflation. Thats the parts that sucks...lol. Sure would like it to go back 30yrs just for one day so i could buy up some more components...lol. [emoji6]

I think every reloader in their right mind would be right there with you!

I think every reloader in their right mind would be right there with you!

During the shortages of the Obama years I purchased components every time I found them at or bellow “normal” street prices (which was possible if you were patient and willing to buy in bulk). Now, almost 10 years later much of that stuff I’m still working my way through, and even though I purchased during the shortage, because I purchased wisely I saved myself money in the long run because the cost of everything has gone up so much.

On the flip side, the cost of factory ammo has come down so much, you gotta reload a ton to make it worth it if you’re just doing for financial reasons. I’m not, but if that’s you’re reasoning, it’s tough reasoning these days.

Go figure.

I'm of the opinion, "If it ain't eating anything, and it's not in the way" I never sell stuff.

Also if some idiotic factory ammo ban were to be enacted I'll be in good shape. I have a furnace, and molds also "just in case" 🙂

My 650 sat for 7 years, wiped all the dust off and just a bit of oil/grease and it was just like new.  I'd keep it in a corner as mentioned.  I only sell off components/dies for calibers I don't own or shoot any longer.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:10 PM, rjacobs said:

Probably an odd topic, but one I have been wracking my brain on the past few weeks... Usually you read "getting into" reloading types of posts, but I am contemplating the opposite.

I have no time to shoot, havent for the past year(got married and all that goes into that), dont see shooting much for the next year(building a house and moving).  In the past 2 years what I have shot, I can buy for almost cheaper than it costs me to reload(9mm, 45, shotguns).  I WOULD keep my Forster Co-Ax single stage along with my Forster 6.5 creed, .223 and 300blk dies.  I also have an RCBS chargemaster that I would either keep or upgrade to an Autotrickler V3.  

The rest of my setup is a Dillon XL650(with all the aftermarket upgrades: primer shut off, bearings, primer chute, roller handle, strong mount, bullet tray, hex wrench holder, etc...), Dillon case feeder, Mr. Bullet Feeder(9mm), 9mm loading tool head, 45 loading tool head, 223 prep/trimmer tool head(with RT1200), 223 loading tool head, 300blk prep/trimmer tool head(with RT1500), 300blk loading tool head, extra powder thrower, and some other stuff... Not a full inventory list obviously.

I also have a TON of powder, bullets, and primers... Also have a big dual drum wet tumbler that can tumble 50lbs of brass at a time plus the big Dillon media separator.

I believe I have like $5-6k or more worth of stuff thats just sitting...

This stuff has taken me like 6-8 years to accumulate it all.

My thought is to sell it all(except my precision stuff) and use the money to just buy like 5k rounds of 9mm, 2k rounds of 45, and maybe 2-3k rounds of 223... I figure I can get all that for about 2000 and have a bunch of money left over.  It would likely take me years to shoot up all of that.

Am I out of my mind thinking of selling all my equipment and components?  I dont know that I want to sell it, and financially its obviously not hurting me to let it sit so I dont NEED to sell it, but it also pains me to see expensive equipment and components that arent getting used just sit and collect dust.

I too have almost quit reloading,  couple specialty guns and that's about it. You can buy ammo cheap all over the place especially from places like Grabagun. but I would never sell my reloading equipment or my reloading supplies they can sit and collect dust forever!! because God forbid the s*** hits the fan and everything about Freedom goes south you're going to want your equipment back. And the price of ammo will be totally friggen unreasonable. Of course that's just a thought and I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 11:08 PM, gnappi said:

I'm of the opinion, "If it ain't eating anything, and it's not in the way" I never sell stuff.

Also if some idiotic factory ammo ban were to be enacted I'll be in good shape. I have a furnace, and molds also "just in case" 🙂

Absolutely spot on! Same here... i`m all set, lots of lead, lots of molds, lots of time. And i`ve been making my own lubes for decades.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:35 PM, usmc1974 said:

I too have almost quit reloading,  couple specialty guns and that's about it. You can buy ammo cheap all over the place especially from places like Grabagun. but I would never sell my reloading equipment or my reloading supplies they can sit and collect dust forever!! because God forbid the s*** hits the fan and everything about Freedom goes south you're going to want your equipment back. And the price of ammo will be totally friggen unreasonable. Of course that's just a thought and I could be wrong.

Or worse case scenario, they ban factory ammo all together! Some will say impossible... guess again, they`ll tax it right out from under you. Already seeing states pass laws where you cant buy it online, some states you have to have a special ammo card to buy ammo. They wont ever get rid of the guns, but they can make very hard for you to feed them guns, folks!

Let's not get this closed....

Restricted Content
Politics
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
• Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
 Gun Control Issues

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

6 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

Good lord, grumpy that was deep!!! For this early in the morning.lol

I think at one time or another most of us have been in the same position you are in.  I personally am in that position right now!  

I have not considered selling anything.  I have a Dillon 1050 w/MBF (plus other aftermarket goodies)  that has not cycled a round of ammo in over 2 years.  I am not shooting much anymore, but I have 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of rounds already loaded.  Re-Marriage, work, other hobbies, etc... are also my reasons.  But I know I love shooting and at some point in time I will return to shooting as my primary hobby, and if not so what... 

Heck, I am still buying stuff!  As I see great deals I take them up on it, because of the situation I am in, I can have patience.  I am looking for another gun safe right now, LOL

Last thought, you may not be into shooting right now or for the past year...  at least do what I did, reload A LOT OF AMMO.  Do not go out and buy it.  Heck, make it you have the equipment.  That way you will have a stock pile that could potentially last you 5-10+ years, store away your reloading gear and enjoy the little bit of shooting you may do.  

...remember a few posts ago when I said “there will be another shortage and you’ll be glad you have it...”

I hate being right all the....

Just watched an interview with an guns and ammo supplier.

The run on ammo and guns has begun. Triple digit increase in purchasing in the past couple days. It’s “unsustainable”. Most manufacturers have already upped production to max capacity, but they are already unable to keep up.

15 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

...remember a few posts ago when I said “there will be another shortage and you’ll be glad you have it...”

I hate being right all the....

Just watched an interview with an guns and ammo supplier.

The run on ammo and guns has begun. Triple digit increase in purchasing in the past couple days. It’s “unsustainable”. Most manufacturers have already upped production to max capacity, but they are already unable to keep up.

Well said. It starts once again! But, we will endeavor to persevere.

Edited by usmc1974

Yup, Cowbela’s here is low on 9mm and lots of guys wandering around with numbers waiting for the gun counter. Local shop was wall to wall Wait and putting a ten box limit on the sale 9. Thinking to myself, “glad I roll my own.”

Don’t sell it! It’s a sunken cost.

If you sell (in which case you will lose a ton of money) and buy all that ammo it sounds like you may not have time to shoot it anyway?

Just put it away for awhile and when you have time again you can start right back up. If cared for, nothing you own has an expiration date.

As started only sell if you are getting out of shooting.

Things are cyclical, and just because things are cheap and plentiful now doesn’t mean they always will be.

When the next ammo/reloading crunch hits, and it will hit, you are all set. Hell, if you insist on selling, wait till the next shortage and get top dollar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[emoji1318]

Went and looked this post was from 1/21. Amazing how much can change in less than two months.

To the OP, what did you decided. I combed the post but didn’t see your final decision?

Don't sell it. I went through the same thing with building a house, finishing my basement to rent, and now getting married in 2 months. I'm glad its all there for me. The utility and enjoyment you will get from it when you are ready to use it is worth more than the financial capital it will give you. Unless you are just in a tight spot, but it doesn't seem like that is the case. 

On 3/14/2020 at 2:18 PM, iflyskyhigh said:

emoji1318.png

Went and looked this post was from 1/21. Amazing how much can change in less than two months.

To the OP, what did you decided. I combed the post but didn’t see your final decision?

Yea. 9mm blazer going for 40 cents a round on gunbroker. LOL.