Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Only wants to work on new pistols?

scduckman03

Called infinity today to ask about having a new barrel installed in a pistol and the lady I talked to ask me how old the pistol was. She said if it was older than 5 years old they normally don’t work on them. Just wanted to see if anyone else has been told this. She said she would sell me a barrel. I told her In my opinion that if they wouldn’t install the barrel and I had to have another gun smith work on it, it  wouldn’t be a full infinity built pistol and that’s why people pay so much for the damn things. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes.. I was looking at a used sv sight tracker and was calling about them putting a new barrel in it. And that’s what she told me. She said if I sent pictures and gave them the serial number they would evaluate it and see if they would be willing to do it for me. 

Not trying to start drama or anything. I have had a used sv open pistol is the past and they are fantastic pistols. I just wanted to know if anyone has been told this before. I just don’t understand the 5 year thing. I am not sure yet as to what year the pistol I am looking at was built so it may be within the 5 year gap. But if not why Wouldn’t they just take my money and put a new barrel in the pistol? 

29 minutes ago, scduckman03 said:

Not trying to start drama or anything. I have had a used sv open pistol is the past and they are fantastic pistols. I just wanted to know if anyone has been told this before. I just don’t understand the 5 year thing. I am not sure yet as to what year the pistol I am looking at was built so it may be within the 5 year gap. But if not why Wouldn’t they just take my money and put a new barrel in the pistol? 

Yes I was told the same “five year window” for  gunsmith work on a full factory infinity pistol.

Bought a used super clean ten year old SVI 2011 in 45 with intention of a simple breach face/barrel/etc. change out for conversion to 40.  As soon as I got the pistol in hand I eagerly emailed them for a quote on the work.  Response was confirmation of the build date and some specs but stated it was out of warranty and did not qualify for  gunsmith work due to being older than five years.

No doubt they build hands down the sexiest pistols on the planet and are fit even better than they look.... but if I cant get work done on the gun by the original builder I’m out.

Since they hold their value so well guess the play is just buy used guns inside the window and dump them before they turn five 🤔

54 minutes ago, Sean_ht said:

So are there only Rock Island, CK Arms, and STI that have lifetime warranty? 

Other manufactures (open gun) with limited time warranty:

• SVI 5 yrs
  • D.W. 3 yrs
  • CZ 5 yrs
  • Atlas 1 yr!
  • Akai 1 yr

That list has little if anything to do with this post..... you are stating “Warranty” times, which would mean the gun would be repaired/replaced for no cost to the end user.

Both the OP and I were attempting to “Pay” for gunsmith services on one of their factory pistols, no warranty claims involved. They won’t even touch their guns after five years.

I can say this with 100% confidence Shay, Adam, or Johnny would take someone’s money till the end of time to perform work on a gun they completely built.  

I get they are swamped with banging out new orders but surely they could park one guy at a bench and at least attempt to quote the work.  I and am sure others would be willing to pay a super premium shop hour to keep an original SVI in factory order.

1 minute ago, Hawk21 said:

That list has little if anything to do with this post..... you are stating “Warranty” times, which would mean the gun would be repaired/replaced for no cost to the end user.

Both the OP and I were attempting to “Pay” for gunsmith services on one of their factory pistols, no warranty claims involved. They won’t even touch their guns after five years.

I can say this with 100% confidence Shay, Adam, or Johnny would take someone’s money till the end of time to perform work on a gun they completely built.  

I get they are swamped with banging out new orders but surely they could park one guy at a bench and at least attempt to quote the work.  I and am sure others would be willing to pay a super premium shop hour to keep an original SVI in factory order.

So they don't not even provide a charged-service for their products!? In another word, after the warranty period ends, they basically dump the product. 

A portion of the premium price people pay for their product is because of the skill and level of craftsmanship their gunsmiths have. Otherwise, everyone would buy 2011 parts and give them to a gunsmith to custom fit and build a handgun. 

Handguns, specially open guns, are consumable products, and their parts are needed to be changed over time. And those parts are not drop-in type of items. They each needs to be hand-fitted.

Thanks for sharing this. I honestly to this day though after the warranty ends, they still provide service, but charge a hefty fee.

They are super busy and the guy actually building the guns would have to stop building 7K guns to do your rebuild.  They've been moving away from rebuilds and refinishing for years.  When I was still wearing a Team Infinity jersey, they quoted me 1K and 5 months lead time to fit a bushing barrel to my single stack .45, so I could shoot IDPA with it.  I've since sold all of my SVs and haven't missed them a bit.  

20 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

They've always said they are engineers, not gunsmiths.

as i know J.M.B. was only gunsmith  inventor and not engineer.😉

good  engineer  need to know how to work with  his  hands too. without practice it's half engineer 😀

תוצאת תמונה עבור ‪man with nose up‬‏

This is a very disheartening thread for me. I have a carry gun in their gunbuilder that is right at $8k. I was thinking of adding another barrel in another caliber then ordering  early this year... Seems like I might go with another builder that offers better support (though less beautiful work). 

2 hours ago, Descartian said:

This is a very disheartening thread for me. I have a carry gun in their gunbuilder that is right at $8k. I was thinking of adding another barrel in another caliber then ordering  early this year... Seems like I might go with another builder that offers better support (though less beautiful work). 

If you can afford it, and you obviously can, do it.  There are plenty of folks out there, who they endorse, that will service you after the five years.  

4 hours ago, Descartian said:

Woah before anyone goes jumping ship I think this thread may need some clarification.... 

So both myself and the OP were requesting work be done on a fully functioning pistol, which received the sorry it’s past five years response.  

What we don’t know is if that would have been the same response on a request to repair a non functioning factory pistol. 

To me those are two completely different scenarios.  The more I thought about this after reading Traces comment with the $1,000 barrel fit quote the more I realized they are in a tough spot....... Respond to my caliber change slide build out with a $3000 + parts price and just piss me off or simply say sorry sir we can’t accommodate that request and leave me only slightly frustrated......No good answer for them (besides hiring more help).  

Another wrinkle in the mix may be that they work on the pistol for an original owner till the end of time but not once it’s changed hands.  

I understand there might be a difference between optional work and repair work. My issue is if you are spending top dollar with a builder you want that to come with a certain amount of support. 

What if my tastes change and after 5 years I want a caliber change?

Also as stated these guns have a lot of retained value on the secondary market. Now I don’t buy guns as an investment BUT I don’t want to take a bath on anything I buy.  If I ever decide to sell it I don’t want the value to greatly diminish because the prospective buyer will have no support.