scduckman03

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Descartian said:

I understand there might be a difference between optional work and repair work. My issue is if you are spending top dollar with a builder you want that to come with a certain amount of support. 

What if my tastes change and after 5 years I want a caliber change?

Also as stated these guns have a lot of retained value on the secondary market. Now I don’t buy guns as an investment BUT I don’t want to take a bath on anything I buy.  If I ever decide to sell it I don’t want the value to greatly diminish because the prospective buyer will have no support. 

100% agree.. I normally don’t hold on to any gun for a extended amount of time and don’t wanna loose my shirt selling it. 

Part of the issue may be that many times doing this stuff ends up being a LOT more work than just what was originally intended.  You find other problems, worn parts, things people tinkered with, and who knows what else.  Plus you're trying to fit parts without messing up the existing finish, etc.  It can be a real PIA.  If the finish gets marked up replacing that new barrel, which is almost impossible not to do, are you going to pay another $400-$500 for new DLC?  Bottom line is, in many cases, it's just not worth it to get involved in servicing older guns.  Particularly if you have your hands full with other work.

So far I've seen mentions of gun smiths that would support their product 5 years or more after it's been delivered, but what Manufacturer would do that? None that I can think of. And keep in mind that they have long wait times on new guns, and they do stand behind their products with great warranties, but still, this isn't warranty work so it shouldn't count. I think 5 years is fair given the amount of changes to the manufacturing process that happens, tooling, materials, etc.

Every Gun Manufacture has their own unique Warranty & Repair policy. SVI has clearly defined their policy. It is what it is and whining about it on forums isn't going to change anything. If their policy doesn't meet your needs then move onto another manufacture with a policy that meets your needs.

I honestly don't get the heartburn with SVI's 5 Year policy. If you are shooting 25K+ a year then the whole gun will be used up in 5 years anyway. Competition guns are consumable items. I also want to point out that if you are in the market for a used SVI then knowing the 5 Year Repair policy is part of the value built into the sale of the gun. Even if it can't be repaired directly by SVI there are plenty of great gunsmiths that can repair it. So its not like you are buying an unrepairable boat anchor.

27 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Every Gun Manufacture has their own unique Warranty & Repair policy. SVI has clearly defined their policy. It is what it is and whining about it on forums isn't going to change anything. If their policy doesn't meet your needs then move onto another manufacture with a policy that meets your needs.

I honestly don't get the heartburn with SVI's 5 Year policy. If you are shooting 25K+ a year then the whole gun will be used up in 5 years anyway. Competition guns are consumable items. I also want to point out that if you are in the market for a used SVI then knowing the 5 Year Repair policy is part of the value built into the sale of the gun. Even if it can't be repaired directly by SVI there are plenty of great gunsmiths that can repair it. So its not like you are buying an unrepairable boat anchor.

I agree.  And really, what's the big deal if SV replaces your barrel or it's done by someone else (assuming a competent gunsmith)?  The end result should be the same.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:59 AM, Sean_ht said:

A portion of the premium price people pay for their product is because of the skill and level of craftsmanship their gunsmiths have. Otherwise, everyone would buy 2011 parts and give them to a gunsmith to custom fit and build a handgun. 

Handguns, specially open guns, are consumable products, and their parts are needed to be changed over time. And those parts are not drop-in type of items. They each needs to be hand-fitted.

I guess that's the point that other make - don't get married to a maker and find a good gunsmith to do it for you 🙂

On 1/2/2020 at 1:20 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Agreed 100%.  the guns will wear out and break. Limited guns are one thing, but open guns are another. I would not consider buying a used open gun over a year old. Find a good gunsmith and have it gone thru. 

There are a lot of big dollar SVs going for more than the owner originally paid.  ☹️

Having a competent gunsmith fit a barrel will not reduce the value of the gun.

Golembieski would be my first choice and only choice for obvious reasons.  Ping me if you need his number.

The Eddies would be next; Cameron and Garcia.

I hear good things about Doug Jones.  Ping Roy Neal for more info on quality gunsmiths.

Brazos is great.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, yigal said:

as i know J.M.B. was only gunsmith  inventor and not engineer.😉

good  engineer  need to know how to work with  his  hands too. without practice it's half engineer 😀

תוצאת תמונה עבור ‪man with nose up‬‏

JMB relied on engineers and machinists and craftsmen.  Not sure of your worthless point.

It is all about business model.  If SVI can survive on building guns and stopping support after 5 years, God Bless them on the fantastic demand and perception of their product.  Cars are also consumable, but would anyone accept the dealership not servicing a Lexus after 5 years? 🤔  Boy what that would do to their market share.

28 minutes ago, sitw said:

It is all about business model.  If SVI can survive on building guns and stopping support after 5 years, God Bless them on the fantastic demand and perception of their product.  Cars are also consumable, but would anyone accept the dealership not servicing a Lexus after 5 years? 🤔  Boy what that would do to their market share.

Try taking an older model Harley to one of their dealerships and see if they'll service it.  They won't.

Try taking an older model Harley to one of their dealerships and see if they'll service it.  They won't.

True but parts for that Harley would be bolt on replacements. If you need a crank shaft you could buy a crankshaft from them that bolts in. You wouldn’t have to get a raw casting and machine it into a crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, CJcycles said:

True but parts for that Harley would be bolt on replacements. If you need a crank shaft you could buy a crankshaft from them that bolts in. You wouldn’t have to get a raw casting and machine it into a crank.

Not sure I see your point.  SV will sell you a new barrel. But apparently they won't put it in an older gun for you.  Harley might sell you a new crank, if they still have them.  But they won't put it in your motor for you.

Not sure I see your point.  SV will sell you a new barrel. But apparently they won't put it in an older gun for you.  Harley might sell you a new crank, if they still have them.  But they won't put it in your motor for you.

Point is the new barrel can’t just be assembled into the gun. It would have to be milled. If you could just buy a barrel and assemble it into the gun it would be a non issue.

Harley parts are interchangeable and would bolt it.

45 minutes ago, CJcycles said:

Point is the new barrel can’t just be assembled into the gun. It would have to be milled. If you could just buy a barrel and assemble it into the gun it would be a non issue.
Harley parts are interchangeable and would bolt it.

Still don't follow your reasoning.  A crank isn't exactly a drop in part.  It has to be balanced, tolerances checked and adjusted, the correct bearings selected, etc.  And even assuming none of that's necessary, changing one is beyond the abilities of 99.9% of the population.  So just about anyone who needs a new one has to rely on a mechanic to do it for them.  And because Harley won't do it, they have to go somewhere else.  Same thing as having a gunsmith fit a new barrel for your SV.  I've done both, and without a doubt, changing the crank is a lot more work than changing a barrel. 

Still don't follow your reasoning.  A crank isn't exactly a drop in part.  It has to be balanced, tolerances checked and adjusted, the correct bearings selected, etc.  And even assuming none of that's necessary, changing one is beyond the abilities of 99.9% of the population.  So just about anyone who needs a new one has to rely on a mechanic to do it for them.  And because Harley won't do it, they have to go somewhere else.  Same thing as having a gunsmith fit a new barrel for your SV.  I've done both, and without a doubt, changing the crank is a lot more work than changing a barrel. 

What Harley’s have you built the engine on?

A Harley crank comes as an assembly. It sounds like your talking about a different engine if your fitting bearings.

27522adf3dfb8f9bf47164a259cae2dd.jpg

I wouldn’t compare a SVI to a Harley. A Harley is a production motorcycle and would be a better comparison to a Springfield. I would compare the SVI to someone buying a new Orange County Chopper build. Then after 5 years needing a replacement gas tank. Sure there are some other custom shops that could build a gas tank, but you spent the money to have a bike built by OCC.

1.  I'm talking about a crank coming in multiple pieces, like flywheels, crank pin, rods, bearings, etc.  You can buy them pre-assembled.  But isn't that the same as having someone do part of the work for you? 

2.  Like I said above, even if the crank is a drop-in part, Harley won't change one on an older bike.  They won't do any mechanical work on it at all.

3.  The Harley comment was in response to a comment above that auto companies will work on older cars.  I thought Harley was a close enough analogy.  Maybe not.

4.  As for what I've built, below is a photo of the most recent.  It has Truett and Osborne stroker flywheels. 

5.  Getting back to the SV issue, some of us feel it's reasonable for them to limit their focus to new guns and warranty repairs.  Changing a barrel isn't a difficult task.  Any competent gunsmith should be able to do it.  And the end result should be the same.

IMG_0406.JPG

Edited by ltdmstr

1.  I'm talking about a crank coming in multiple pieces, like flywheels, crank pin, rods, bearings, etc.  You can buy them pre-assembled.  But isn't that the same as having someone do part of the work for you? 
2.  Like I said above, even if the crank is a drop-in part, Harley won't change one on an older bike.  They won't do any mechanical work on it at all.
3.  The Harley comment was in response to a comment above that auto companies will work on older cars.  I thought Harley was a close enough analogy.  Maybe not.
4.  As for what I've built, below is a photo of the most recent.  It has Truett and Osborne stroker flywheels. 
5.  Getting back to the SV issue, some of us feel it's reasonable for them to limit their focus to new guns and warranty repairs.  Changing a barrel isn't a difficult task.  Any competent gunsmith should be able to do it.  And the end result should be the same.

IMG_0406.JPG.1be6034354581b7f79cd28a8e0df0415.JPG

That’s an interesting build. Shovel, hard tail, 35mm forks and old mag wheels.

We are all free to have our own view points and thankfully we have a lot of choices. SVI integrates the design of the gun into the barrel. Any shop that could easily replicate the machining and design could easily build the whole gun. I would just rather buy from that builder from the start. We all get a vote with our checkbook. LOL. My last vote was with Cameron’s. I’m considering voting Atlas in the near future.

74c7b121a32699cf4954b571aecb8db4.jpg5257fc446e8a076592994ab49c80ade5.jpg