Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Only wants to work on new pistols?

scduckman03

My first SVI was an older one.  I inquired about work similar to what @Hawk21 wanted done.  They didn't tell me that they wouldn't do it, but they did quote me a price that said they didn't want to do the work, basically new top end money for a breechface/barrel fit...  this entire thread makes their interchangeable breech face a moot point.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, tha1000 said:

My first SVI was an older one.  I inquired about work similar to what @Hawk21 wanted done.  They didn't tell me that they wouldn't do it, but they did quote me a price that said they didn't want to do the work, basically new top end money for a breechface/barrel fit...  this entire thread makes their interchangeable breech face a moot point.

Ugh. I used to have SV guns and quality was amazing. Won’t go back to them most likely. 

I understand and agree with most of your comments, but...here we go...as long as you have a product out there with your name on it....you are "responsible" for it, NOT the product itself but the NAME, SVI.

If you decide not to offer some type of service or at least work with the customer then NEW customers will NOT buy your product thinking that it will happen to them too.. right?

If it is an old pistol and there are a lot of things that need to be repaired, changed or updated then inform the customer and let him/her make the decision. 

I love SVI, they were extremely helpful with me when I decided to start the process.  It never flourished, but it was my decision.  I am not hating.

On 1/6/2020 at 5:57 PM, Bird_Dog0347 said:

Dealers do the supporting after the sale... NOT Lexus, Entirely different scenario outside of a recall.

Ah, the dealers are LEXUS dealerships.  That IS how Lexus, Toyota actually, and other car manufacturers support their products.  Granted dealerships are independantly owned, but the OEM works directly with them.  As an engineer at an OEM I have even had to visit dealerships for customer issues the dealership could not solve.  So we do continue servicing, just not in a direct method due to scale. 

Where do you think the recall work gets done?  Back at the car plant or at the dealership? 

Dealership hasn't turned away servicing my 14 year old car, not once.

I wasn't bashing on SVI, just wondering how long their business model will stay the same.  Market demand changes, business models change.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:08 PM, ltdmstr said:

Try taking an older model Harley to one of their dealerships and see if they'll service it.  They won't.

Have you checked Harley's financials over the last 5 years?  Maybe a change in their business model is in order?

WTF.  This is America. Home of Free Enterprise.

Their business model works for them.  You don't like it go to someone else.

This is the harsh reality.

I had some work I wanted them to do, not much different than what has been whined about here.

Now maybe because I have a history with them, Sandy called me at night, way past their working hours.  They could not do it.  I fully understood Sandy's position.  I did not whine, cry or complain.  in fact, I appreciated their point of view.

As a self-employed consultant, he didn't do anything I have not done.  When an expectant contract offers a bill rate substantially lower, I would not take it.  If your boss came to you and said, listen you have done a great job but we want to pay you less would you agree?

They are not a charity.  

There are plenty who will gladly take your work request.

Edited by pjb45

On 1/25/2020 at 8:57 PM, sitw said:

Have you checked Harley's financials over the last 5 years?  Maybe a change in their business model is in order?

I don't own a Harley but I have checked their business model.  Not just recently but also when they asked for some tariffs on Jap bikes and before that.  They also asked for the tariffs to be removed early than they sunset clause.  

So their market changed.  They are trying to make up lost ground.

Your analogy is worthless and not relevant.

1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

I don't own a Harley but I have checked their business model.  Not just recently but also when they asked for some tariffs on Jap bikes and before that.  They also asked for the tariffs to be removed early than they sunset clause.  

So their market changed.  They are trying to make up lost ground.

Your analogy is worthless and not relevant.

Not sure where you're getting your info, but Harley sales have tanked, and the leadership there has no clue what to do about it.  Their  most recent feeble attempt is an overpriced electric bike that's inferior to the less expensive models already on the market.  Best thing that can happen to them at this point is they get bought out by private equity who put in a management team that actually understands the business.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, ltdmstr said:

Not sure where you're getting your info, but Harley sales have tanked, and the leadership there has no clue what to do about it.  Their  most recent feeble attempt is an overpriced electric bike that's inferior to the less expensive models already on the market.  Best thing that can happen to them at this point is they get bought out by private equity who put in a management team that actually understands the business.

You inability to do financial research is mind boggling.  

Edited by pjb45