Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Only wants to work on new pistols?

scduckman03

Well, with those fancy cuts, I guess you have a point.  I was thinking of the more pedestrian style which are far more common.  To be honest, if I had one like that, I'd retire it and get a new one long before the barrel's shot out.  I suppose if SV isn't going to service them, folks ought to take that into consideration when they decide what to buy and when to replace.  As for the bike, it's just an old school chopper.  The frame is a 1980 FXE with weld on hard tail.  The axle mount plates are just like the old style Harleys so it looks like a factory piece.  I'm rebuilding the trans now with Andrews gears, etc. then need to decide what I want to do for the primary.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/3/2020 at 9:37 PM, sitw said:

It is all about business model.  If SVI can survive on building guns and stopping support after 5 years, God Bless them on the fantastic demand and perception of their product.  Cars are also consumable, but would anyone accept the dealership not servicing a Lexus after 5 years? 🤔  Boy what that would do to their market share.

Dealers do the supporting after the sale... NOT Lexus, Entirely different scenario outside of a recall.

So my 2 cents..... Purchased an SVI swat pistol, circa 1995 to 1996. I wanted the pistol gone over and new ignition parts fit. I was quoted a not so bad price, and not that long turn around time. Iirc that was less that 2 years ago. They seemed more than willing to go over the entire pistol and give it a tune up. Me being the 2and or 3rd owner, I just never followed through. Ended up selling it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kevin,

We appreciate your use of our products.

This pistol was built in 1996 for a SWAT team in Ohio.

We can not offer a refinish on the pistol.  The pistols were hard chromed by the Police Department that purchased the pistols.

Any scratch removal would remove the hard chrome.  The pistol can not be refinished with Infinicoat DLC due to the hard chrome finish. 

Review of the complete pistol., fitting and installation of our Ignition Kit (hammer, sear, disconnector, titanium sear spring)  , recoil spring, mainspring, and firing pin spring is $460.00

We would need to evaluate the grip safety issue to offer a quote.  Most competitors do not prefer a functional grip safety.  In some cases it requires replacement based on the method of disabling it. 

We have worked on numerous of these pistols in the past year since the dept. traded them to a gunshop in Ohio. 

Some have been in good condition but some have seen better days in terms of poor maintenance and higher round counts.

Regards,
Brandon

My bad from 2016. Turn around time then 2 to 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A few months ago, I was talking with Bob Londrigan, and the topic of people sending his guns back to him for repair came up.  He said that so many of his guns that come back for warranty work have been modified to the point where it's difficult to call them Brazos guns anymore.  He's regularly amazed by what comes back to him.  And if you think about the time that it takes for guns to go through a few sets of hands, etc. five years is about the point when competition guns start being breathed on by someone other than the original smith.  And because they're a business, none of the prominent builders want to be known for telling an idiot who messed with his gun and broke it that he's an idiot.

22 minutes ago, RacerX1166 said:

A few months ago, I was talking with Bob Londrigan, and the topic of people sending his guns back to him for repair came up.  He said that so many of his guns that come back for warranty work have been modified to the point where it's difficult to call them Brazos guns anymore.  He's regularly amazed by what comes back to him.  And if you think about the time that it takes for guns to go through a few sets of hands, etc. five years is about the point when competition guns start being breathed on by someone other than the original smith.  And because they're a business, none of the prominent builders want to be known for telling an idiot who messed with his gun and broke it that he's an idiot.

I agree with this 100%.  And trying to fix someone else's hack job usually ends up being 4x the time and effort it takes to do the job right the first time.  

I agree with most of what has been said but fitting a new barrel in a 5.01 year old, well maintained, single owner gun is not the same as resurrecting a “hack job” that happens to have an SVI rollmark. 

19 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I agree with this 100%.  And trying to fix someone else's hack job usually ends up being 4x the time and effort it takes to do the job right the first time.  

Original work has a certain price but fixing someone else's sloppy work is always double the price.😉

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

I agree with most of what has been said but fitting a new barrel in a 5.01 year old, well maintained, single owner gun is not the same as resurrecting a “hack job” that happens to have an SVI rollmark. 

True, but the problem is, where do you draw the line?  And what do you do when someone sends in a gun that they say needs a barrel and you find other issues?  If you just do the barrel send it back, then the user has problems with the other stuff down the road, you get blamed for it and bad-mouthed all over the web?  It's a lot easier and clearer just to have a policy that you don't do non-warranty repairs.

20 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

True, but the problem is, where do you draw the line?  And what do you do when someone sends in a gun that they say needs a barrel and you find other issues?  If you just do the barrel send it back, then the user has problems with the other stuff down the road, you get blamed for it and bad-mouthed all over the web?  It's a lot easier and clearer just to have a policy that you don't do non-warranty repairs.

I agree with not doing half-assed work.  If other issues are found, notify the customer and let them decide to either:

a) fix everything necessary

or

b) have the gun shipped back to them  (at their cost) without doing anything

Add an "inspection fee" that can be credited against any work done to avoid wasting time doing free diagnostic work

On 1/4/2020 at 12:03 AM, ltdmstr said:

Not sure I see your point.  SV will sell you a new barrel. But apparently they won't put it in an older gun for you.  Harley might sell you a new crank, if they still have them.  But they won't put it in your motor for you.

Try buying an IMM barrel

seems as though some top gun builders out there are changing their business model.  some due to work load.  others due to moving towards more profitable products.  you weed them out as they no longer fit your needs.  and they adjust to their customer base as they see fit.  my first inclination was when Infinity stopped producing 9 major open guns.  as of late I've been seeing advertisements for guns that are so flashy I would be embarrassed to show up at a match with.  maybe I"m just not secure enough with my manhood.

So SVI policy is 5 years period, even for original owner?  not 5 Years/ 50,000 rounds which ever comes first policy.  wow.   I had a chance to by a friends SVI infinity that he purchased in 1997, shot it 3 matches, got hurt at work, and put it away, and has may 1000 rounds through it.   beautiful gun, brand spanking new.  I'm glad I went with a STI DVC instead after seeing this post.

Edited by JohnRodriguez

10 hours ago, JohnRodriguez said:

So SVI policy is 5 years period, even for original owner?  not 5 Years/ 50,000 rounds which ever comes first policy.  wow.   I had a chance to by a friends SVI infinity that he purchased in 1997, shot it 3 matches, got hurt at work, and put it away, and has may 1000 rounds through it.   beautiful gun, brand spanking new.  I'm glad I went with a STI DVC instead after seeing this post.

Original owner your name on build and this doesn’t apply to you. I was told they will work on mine for the life of the pistol because I am original owner. I have heard about the 2nd 5000 rd deal though. 

Very sad to hear but they are allowed to do what they want I guess. Changing the "rules" based on work load is very bad for future long term business if that is indeed what that they are doing. I also see and understand the many points mentioned here about guns getting sent in that have been handled by people that don't know what they are doing. What did you end up doing @scduckman03?

41 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Very sad to hear but they are allowed to do what they want I guess. Changing the "rules" based on work load is very bad for future long term business if that is indeed what that they are doing. I also see and understand the many points mentioned here about guns getting sent in that have been handled by people that don't know what they are doing. What did you end up doing @scduckman03?

Went completely different route and bought a open upper for a limited pistol i already had. 

I’m not going to lie. My carry build after talking to a SVI gunsmith was over $8k which I was fine with. Now after reading this thread I most likely will go with another maker for less cash. Money isn’t an object, it’s the support that comes with it that matters to me. That’s why I’ve been such a big proponent of STI and their lifetime warranty. I want the work of art that the SVI is but if there’s nothing to back it up I’m out. Atlas or another host of smiths will be able to help me. 

4 hours ago, Eagle40 said:

I'm glad i read this thread. I've been planning to put an order for a new SV limited gun. But, I was contemplating all the time about the price. Now, I made 

up my mind not to order one and just save my money. 

add me  to your svi  order .😀

It's a closed system; they don't have to work on old guns, so they don't. If they had to, they would. 

As long as people are willing to stand in an electronic line to spend thousands of dollars to have a gun built, they don't need to fiddle with repair work. 

I waited 171/2 months for my SV to get built. Couldn’t be more happier. It’s a one of a kind build to your hearts content. It’s not for everybody. For me the experience and dealings with Brandon are top notch. If I was to buy a SV 2nd 3rd hand I would understand not wanting to get swamped down with repair work on a pistol that changed hands a couple times. They do refer you to gunsmiths that can handle this work. But for original owners they will take in your pistol and work on it bring the first owner. People know this when they decide to go with SV for a one of a kind build and that’s part of the experience.