Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I know this has been beat to death, BUT Which Optic?

actionshooter

5 hours ago, Gviz said:

I have it on my open gun as well my problem is with the dot brightness it gets washed out a bit on sunny days. Do you experience the same thing when the sun is behind you?

im hoping they would come out with a bigger moa so the dot will be easier to find

I have not had that issue yet. It’s sunny here most days that I shoot. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/10/2019 at 8:30 AM, andersonj55126 said:

I am running one of these too, after a long hard battle with myself over loosing the side-more.  A key factor was the mounting plate and it seemed to me like there were more options in the RTS pattern than others AND I wasn't interested in $800 optics.  The FTP (so far, knock on wood) has been solid.  I figured if these guys can source/make tricky parts for cars, why not trust them to make a decent optic.  

Also consider the FTP Shooting Sports optic. It is basically an updated RTS2 with an bigger window, much nicer buttons and 8moa. It is also brighter and has more available brightness settings.

The new Sigs are also very nice but expensive and made by the same place that make RTS2 and FTP.

I have used the DPP for years but am switching away from them this offseason.

I have been liking my Holosun 510c a lot. It does get dirty and you have to clean it through out the match but its not that big of deal. Dot is a great size for me and it is very bright. If I were to look for a new dot I would check out the R3 XL. But for now I'm happy with the 510c so no need to spend more money. 

15 minutes ago, echotango said:

I have handled both and for a frame mounted open gun, I went with XL's.  Very happy with my choice. 

Thanks ET.  It was where I was leaning to, especially as I have RTS2 mounts.

15 minutes ago, RGC said:

Thanks ET.  It was where I was leaning to, especially as I have RTS2 mounts.

Not all RTS2 mounts fit it.  I had to upgrade mine.  If yours doesn't have a blast shield you're fine but if it it does the XL needs more room infront of the glass than the RTS2. 

The XL has been awesome for the past few months I've been using it.  If the longevity is there I won't ever use another dot but the XL or Max.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a photo comparing size: from left to right

holosun, sig max Michel, sig Romeo 3 xl, sro, delta point, vertex, cmore, vortex. 

I went with the cmore as I got an awesome deal on a open box but never used optic. First choice was Romeo 3.

F6F2534E-0DF6-4A64-9DDD-4939CDDD6DCC.jpeg

Picture showing relative sizes is very helpful, thanks for posting.  I'd love to see a c-more railway in the group just to have a reference - I shoot a 12 MOA dot for SCSA, and Action Steel - love the big window/big dot!

20 hours ago, mvmojo said:

Picture showing relative sizes is very helpful, thanks for posting.  I'd love to see a c-more railway in the group just to have a reference - I shoot a 12 MOA dot for SCSA, and Action Steel - love the big window/big dot!

No problem. Unfortunelty this is not my photo, I took a screen shot down time ago so I wouldn’t be able to add the big cmore to it.

29 minutes ago, tke37617 said:

I have several brands and recently went with the Holosun on my open gun.  I think the large window and large outer ring (65 MOA) makes target acquisition much faster.  

I got a holosun on my VR80 and it's great, very quick aquisition and hold zero under the shotgun recoil.

I like the solar panel on it and the shake to awake option is cool.

On 12/29/2019 at 5:29 PM, MadBomber said:

I prefer the  C-more.   running one for  20 years and it just keeps running.

My C-More is about 12 years old and still ticking.

What is it about the C-More that people don't like ?

What is the improvement with the Holosuns, etc ?

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

My C-More is about 12 years old and still ticking.

What is it about the C-More that people don't like ?

What is the improvement with the Holosuns, etc ?

Size and less bulk? The smaller red dots sit much lower to the barrel then the original cmore vertical mount and are much smaller. I know a lot of people use the horizontal mount to get the dot much lower to the barrel. I have seen people completely miss close head shots for the height over barrel and how they zeroed it. That’s just my two cents anyways 

I have my C-More mounted horizontally so the dot is essentially where iron sights would be.  I also zero it at about 16-17 yds so close shots aren't a problem.  If anything, I try to aim a little low on the 35 yd shots - if I think about it that is!

an open gun with a mini red dot is way more balanced, less bulky,  and unobtrusive to the field of vision than a full size CMore mounted horizontally...I went thru the whole process from early days of mini red dots in later 90s, to the regular CMore upright, then mounted horizontally which was way better as it was alot closer to the bore but left it unbalanced, bulky and without a clear field of vision.........once I went back to the more advanced mini red dots I knew I would never go back to the full size CMore....even less reason now that mini red dots are approaching the size window of the regular CMore, becoming  more dependable than they used to be, and added features such as auto turn on/off, some with night vision modes etc (which the regular CMore has failed to advance with) plus the adaptability to other types of  handguns (instead of just Open div raceguns) as well as AR15s, PCCs, and shotguns

Edited by race1911