Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I know this has been beat to death, BUT Which Optic?

actionshooter

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

After all the experimentation, which dot are you currently using ?

the RTS2 V4  (also have 2 of the FTP Alpha2...basically the same ).. 2 new RTS2 V5 with the auto on/off feature to use until I get a couple of Romeo3Max which I believe will finally be the clear winner of everything desired in a mini red dot  (also they have the same footprint as the RTS2 and Alpha2)..was going to try the SRO but with the dual dot facing the sun the wrong way problems, the extra weight of it, and not being the same footprint as those I'm using/planning to use I have decided to stay away from it

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

a bit late on the discussion, i have a DPP on top of one of my open guns but reality is, i do not trust it in a match. i have seen and heard of too many MRD failing without giving any notice, and my DPP couple times turned off while in the holster without apparent reason. 

is it better than the slideride? well, define "better". its different. for me the fact that is lower on the barrell is not relevant. difference between the DPP mounted as low as possible and a slideride is maybe 2cm. thats a little more than 3 bullet diameters. only advantage of the DPP vs the slideride is that the DPP dot is brighter in full sunlight.

btw, the blooming of the dot at max intensity does not occur in bright outdoor light. 

moreover, after having opened several of these MRD to repair them, i cant justify spending 4-500 bucks on what is basically chinesium, and  thats what most MRDs are.  the discussion over the advantages of this MRD vs that other become sort of moot when you start noticing that they all share the same dimensions, shape, functions, screws position.....
most of them are exactly the same.

until someone comes up with a solid, reliable design, that does not cost like a good pistol, i think ill stick to the slideride. 

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

It’s called a joke, folks. Lighten up. 

i didnt get it, so all is good 😀

folks, im an average shooter, in a level 3, international environment

last thing i need is more problems on top of the ones i already have. 

i have been reading this part of the forum quite a lot. i honestly cant remember anyone complaining that his  slideride failed him in a match. and i have never seen anyone doing a zero point stage cuz of a failed slideride.

thats all i need to know. 

I know too many local open shooters who keep breaking mini dots to go to anything else. I tried a Romeo 1 for a week and couldn't get used to the lower height or the smaller window (I know, crappy dot to try out).

FWIW I believe Shannon Smith has gone back to his old CMores because everything else keeps breaking. 

My .02 cents- I am an open 3 gun shooter. I have use vortex and C-more RTS. Vortex- rifle and shotgun. I really like them both but had a couple of issues with Vortex's but like the warranty says, for life. They fixed the problems and returned to me the same week. Hard to beat the customer service at Vortex. My 9 open I use the RTS and have not had any issues at all, even throwing in dump bucket pretty harshly, but only have about 5-6k rounds on it. My 38 super I use the original C-more. My opinion this is the best optic made for a handgun, you cant get a better field of view than the big circle. If I could tune a 9 open gun for a top mount C-more to be 100% reliable I would use nothing but C-mores.

2 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

im officially in the market for a new red dot for my open gun

I have an 8moa RTS2 but ill be damned if in the bright sun the dot just gets washed out....

whats brighter than an RTS2

I had the same issue with my older version RTS2 so I went with a Sig XL.  The Sig XL or Max are definitly a lot brighter and have the biggesst glass for a miro optic. 

If you like the RTS2 and want something cheaper I've seen their V5 version and it is probably the brightest thing I've seen on the market.

1 minute ago, CaliYeti said:

I had the same issue with my older version RTS2 so I went with a Sig XL.  The Sig XL or Max are definitly a lot brighter and have the biggesst glass for a miro optic. 

If you like the RTS2 and want something cheaper I've seen their V5 version and it is probably the brightest thing I've seen on the market.

I wonder If they would do some sort of exchange program for a v5 or if I have to buy a whole new one 

2 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I wonder If they would do some sort of exchange program for a v5 or if I have to buy a whole new one 

Worst come to worst you can sell yours and and upgrade it for under $150 more.  What is nice about the RTS2s is they're a lot cheaper than the Sig optics.