Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets forward or outward?

Mban2

slightly less wrist movement would be the theory. No idea if it actually helps on the clock though. Just one of those things that are different that people try. Some of those different things work and stick around, some dont and fall by the wayside.

Personal preference really......

For Production and Single Stack, a shooter has 5 or 6 mags on their belt and the first mag can't be forward of the hip, roughly 9 o'clock position.  The last mag is around back because their isn't a lot of real estate there to hold all the mags so the mags are all jammed together too close.  With bullets out the mags have slightly more room between each other and you have more room to slap your hand on one and index with your finger doing a reload without hitting the next mag in line.

Preference and/or space.

I use bullets out in CO because I use bullets out in Prod for space.

With the pouches behind the iliac crest I feel bullets forward is more natural for me in spite having used bullets out for more years. 

I much prefer bullets out, tried both bullets forward and bullets out, my grabs and reloads where much better with bullets out. With bullets out when I grab the mag it’s already in the correct position to reload. I got the DAA pouches which allowed me to try both bullets out and forward as well as different angles to really dial in the best angle that works for me.

The benefit is that your 5th or 6th mag pouch isn’t centered on your spine. Bullets out pouches take up much less real estate on the belt.

I tried it for six months and went back to bullets forward. No amount of dryfire would stop me from gripping the mag the old way under stress, so I eventually stopped trying to push water uphill.

My 5th and 6th magazines are pretty far back, doing it the traditional way.

... ^ unlearning stuff is harder than learning stuff. Like the time I shot a match in Revolver division, and decided to change to weak hand reloads - two weeks before the match....

Switched to bullets forward after 3 years for both CO and Prodution.....Feel more natural for the first 3 pouches (which are used most of the time in the two divisions) . Either way will work, but try both and find which way is better for you.

Edited by highhope

I now run bullets out, but bullets forward still feels more natural.

I switched because I like Single Stack and six pouches was taking up too much room. With the DAA Racer SS pouches I can fit six mags in about 8 inches.  My Production belt is the same for consistency.

I started with bullets forward and then switched to bullets out 'cause Stoeger makes it look cool.  Stuck with that for about a year, then switched back to bullets forward because I found it more difficult to get the base of the mags to contact the same spot on my palm every time with bullets out.  This would occasionally cause the mag to not seat properly and fall back out of the gun after a reload.  Haven't had that problem since switching back.  I don't notice any difference in reload speed between the two setups.  I think it just comes down to whether you prefer having your index finger or your thumb contact the mag first.

• 3 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, Tanders said:

I started with bullets forward and then switched to bullets out 'cause Stoeger makes it look cool.  Stuck with that for about a year, then switched back to bullets forward because I found it more difficult to get the base of the mags to contact the same spot on my palm every time with bullets out.  This would occasionally cause the mag to not seat properly and fall back out of the gun after a reload.  Haven't had that problem since switching back.  I don't notice any difference in reload speed between the two setups.  I think it just comes down to whether you prefer having your index finger or your thumb contact the mag first.

My thinking is it looks cool, I might just have to give it a try

My first production belt I started with bullets out and used it for about a year or so. When I switched to limited I went to bullets forward since I could space my pouches out more.

I recently set up a SS and another production rig and both are set for bullets out to conserve space.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...