Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith for 2011 Carry Build

Descartian

I’m looking for a gunsmith with a lot of 2011 experience for a comped short barreled carry gun. 

Freedom/CK has already declined the work and I will not use Lonestar Innovations. 

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Wait times a year or less would be preferred. 

Thank you in advance. 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:18 AM, Descartian said:

I’m looking for a gunsmith with a lot of 2011 experience for a comped short barreled carry gun. 

Freedom/CK has already declined the work and I will not use Lonestar Innovations. 

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Wait times a year or less would be preferred. 

Thank you in advance. 

Des:

Does Cupp do any work outside his day job?  If not, he may have a few recommendations.......

JTOL.......

On 11/5/2019 at 10:18 AM, Descartian said:

Thank you in advance. 

check with Matt Cheely......

19 minutes ago, Descartian said:

Well per their website that option is out. 

As of July 17th 2019, we are not taking any custom orders

2 minutes ago, Descartian said:

Reached out to Jeff, waiting on response back. 

Jeff built my first (real) open gun. I purchased it used and he had built it some years before. Funny when he called and went " this gun looks familiar". It had a looot of rounds through it and I had him install another barrel / comp and fit. It is an STI lower and SV upper. Still runs great and is now my backup gun. Deadly accurate and reliable. Jeff is great to deal with and talk to. Great workmanship. One of those guys who will actually stop and talk to you and discuss anything with you. Facebook used to be the best way to contact him. 

My first gun was a polymer grip and full slide. I wanted a heavy grip and lighter slide for my next one and liked some guns Matt Cheely was making at the time. Contacted him and we decided on a build. He had it to me on time and I love it. I recently e-mailed him about no gun orders with a tear in my eye and he said probably later, but he has a lot on his plate now producing parts and setting up equipment. Did tell him my new open gun needs a sister. Plus I think he likes to shoot and dryfire a little like the rest of us. 

Currently Matts pretty busy. If you use Jeff I promise you will be very satisfied with the build and service. Good man. 

On 11/13/2019 at 5:00 PM, Descartian said:

Well per their website that option is out. 

As of July 17th 2019, we are not taking any custom orders

Yeah, currently Matt is making parts for builds but not building.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In early 2019 I traded into an open gun that had a brand new top end built by Jeff Abernathy. I broke 2 barrel links on the gun in less than 1k rounds (800 of those were minor @ 1200FPS) bottom barrel lugs were overcut form what I could tell. I sold the gun to someone who was willing to fix it (new barrel likely) and cut my losses.

I don't know how supportive/helpful Jeff would have been had I contacted him for repair work, but even if I had the patience/time/money to do so I don't think I would have used him. The gun was brand new and breaking barrel links. There were other small things that were not fitted 100%, namely radiusing the bottom of the extractor for proper feeding. I never met the guy or spoke on the phone so I can't say anything about him personally. I did contact him by email when I first got the gun about sending it out for hard chrome since it was still in the white. I got one response from him about hard chrome/DLC coating options. I also do remember calling and leaving him a voicemail to call me back and discuss the gun. I never received a call back. I know I wasn't an original paying customer, but I would expect better communication from any business. Communication is key. I know a lot of these small shops are busy with only a few employees or 1 man shops, but if you can't respond to basic customer service needs than you need to take on less work or hire someone to answer phones etc. 

I'm not upset with Jeff. I just won't ever shoot one of his guns. I will have some choice words for my fellow shooter who ripped me on the trade that I got the gun through.

Good luck with your carry build.