Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith for 2011 Carry Build

Descartian

• 3 weeks later...

I would consider having Benny Hill, Triangle Shooting Sports, Corpus Christi, TX build me a carry gun. If Benny builds it, it will function 100% and be very accurate. Give him a call- 361-241-1091. He was the head gunsmith for STI before he started Triangle. He is very familiar with 2011 pistols.

Edited by verla
additional infro

Had a similar idea recently.  Seems like the perfect carry option. 

STI Staccato C2 Duo. Send it off for a carry comp.

Contacted VandenBerg Customs via email.

The single port comp on their Service Comp Round package looks like a winner. 

Will follow up once I receive a response. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 10:45 AM, ezra650 said:

In early 2019 I traded into an open gun that had a brand new top end built by Jeff Abernathy. I broke 2 barrel links on the gun in less than 1k rounds (800 of those were minor @ 1200FPS) bottom barrel lugs were overcut form what I could tell. I sold the gun to someone who was willing to fix it (new barrel likely) and cut my losses.

I don't know how supportive/helpful Jeff would have been had I contacted him for repair work, but even if I had the patience/time/money to do so I don't think I would have used him. The gun was brand new and breaking barrel links. There were other small things that were not fitted 100%, namely radiusing the bottom of the extractor for proper feeding. I never met the guy or spoke on the phone so I can't say anything about him personally. I did contact him by email when I first got the gun about sending it out for hard chrome since it was still in the white. I got one response from him about hard chrome/DLC coating options. I also do remember calling and leaving him a voicemail to call me back and discuss the gun. I never received a call back. I know I wasn't an original paying customer, but I would expect better communication from any business. Communication is key. I know a lot of these small shops are busy with only a few employees or 1 man shops, but if you can't respond to basic customer service needs than you need to take on less work or hire someone to answer phones etc. 

I'm not upset with Jeff. I just won't ever shoot one of his guns. I will have some choice words for my fellow shooter who ripped me on the trade that I got the gun through.

Good luck with your carry build. 

+1

On 3/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, ezra650 said:

In early 2019 I traded into an open gun that had a brand new top end built by Jeff Abernathy. I broke 2 barrel links on the gun in less than 1k rounds (800 of those were minor @ 1200FPS) bottom barrel lugs were overcut form what I could tell. I sold the gun to someone who was willing to fix it (new barrel likely) and cut my losses.

I don't know how supportive/helpful Jeff would have been had I contacted him for repair work, but even if I had the patience/time/money to do so I don't think I would have used him. The gun was brand new and breaking barrel links. There were other small things that were not fitted 100%, namely radiusing the bottom of the extractor for proper feeding. I never met the guy or spoke on the phone so I can't say anything about him personally. I did contact him by email when I first got the gun about sending it out for hard chrome since it was still in the white. I got one response from him about hard chrome/DLC coating options. I also do remember calling and leaving him a voicemail to call me back and discuss the gun. I never received a call back. I know I wasn't an original paying customer, but I would expect better communication from any business. Communication is key. I know a lot of these small shops are busy with only a few employees or 1 man shops, but if you can't respond to basic customer service needs than you need to take on less work or hire someone to answer phones etc. 

I'm not upset with Jeff. I just won't ever shoot one of his guns. I will have some choice words for my fellow shooter who ripped me on the trade that I got the gun through.

Good luck with your carry build. 

Did you verify That he actually worked on the gun ?
I bought a Ganns built gun off this websight, didnt do my due diligence,  gun looked like it had been fit with a rusty hacksaw blade. Turns out the seller was a liar.  Ganns had never worked on the gun based on the serial number which by law they tend to keep track of.

On 8/15/2020 at 6:48 PM, Joe4d said:

Did you verify That he actually worked on the gun ?
I bought a Ganns built gun off this websight, didnt do my due diligence,  gun looked like it had been fit with a rusty hacksaw blade. Turns out the seller was a liar.  Ganns had never worked on the gun based on the serial number which by law they tend to keep track of.

No I didn't. I suppose that is a possibility. The guy whom I traded/bought from said he knew Jeff personally and frequented his shop since they lived 10min apart or something like that. This seller was/is a well known USPSA shooter in his area and I had shot with him before. He is M/GM level, pretty solid shooter. The day we did the exchange he shot the match with us. I even test fired the gun after the match. Extraction/ejection was actually good on it. 

He either fed me a whole line of BS and knew the gun was having barrel link issues. Or he had no idea and was simply trying to move out of open and back in LTD like he said. I'd like to believe it was the latter, but he had shot USPSA matches with the gun so how he didn't break a barrel link I do not know. Especially since I broke 2 links in less than 1k rounds shooting sub major PF ammo. I was super busy on a home renovation project so I didn't realize I had a busted gun until 6 months after I got it and started shooting/loading for the gun.

I traded a reliable gently used edge with 4, gen 1 STI tuned and built magazines plus $200 on my end for a busted open gun with 2 good magazines. I ended up having to let the open gun go for $1k due to it's issues. I didn't have the desire or funds to get it running. Pissed at myself more than anything. Life lesson learned. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth for 2011 open guns, especially used ones. I'd like to play with one again, but have no desire to put $3-5k into one worth shooting.

Now I've got a kicka** 1911 open gun from JPL Precision for shooting SCSA and it is keeping my open itch scratched. 

Edited by ezra650

On 8/17/2020 at 7:52 PM, Joe4d said:

Id check serial number,, then publicly go off on said M/GM and let everyone know what a POS he is.
No way a shooter at that level didnt know fit was off. 

That used to be the case, but these days I know GMs that don't even know what a barrel link is anymore.

On 8/17/2020 at 3:52 PM, Joe4d said:

Id check serial number,, then publicly go off on said M/GM and let everyone know what a POS he is.
No way a shooter at that level didnt know fit was off. 

I don't think I even have the info on the gun anymore. I might have the BOS from the original transfer when he and I traded. I will have to look and see though and will email Jeff. Not for my sake, but to see what Jeff's involvement was if any. I

It's not worth my time either to start a bunch of mud slinging. He is a young shooter like myself and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt publicly. He might have only shot 1 match with the gun and decided he wanted to go back to LTD. Regardless I still got ripped off. If he ever chose to pay me back the $200 cash I gave him it would make me fill as close to whole as possible at this point. He shoots a state away from me, but if I ever see him in person again I will be politely confronting him about it.