Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 Blackout Powder

NateTSU

I am starting to load for 300 blackout and had a question about powder recommendations. Options I have locally are are CFE Black, H110 and Lil Gun. My barrel is a 10.5” pistol gas length that is suppressed. Bullet is a 150gr Speer Gold Dot. Just curious of what powder the blackout experts would recommend. 

Thanks 

Nathan 

2 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

H110 is a rock star for 300 BLK. We use it for everything from the 110's to 160+ grain bullets in our 10.5" barrels. It's almost difficult to find a load our barrels do not like. It's also pretty nice when suppressed due to a lack of residue buildup. 

Awesome, thanks. I also have some 130’s to load up. 

3 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

AA1680 seems to be one of the better all around 300 BO powders. Great for subs in ARs.

Thanks I will check some out for subs. The majority of my loads will be Supers until I get some of the new Sub X from Hornady. 

• 3 weeks later...

H110 is darn good for supersonics. If you have any IMR 4227 it works pretty well, a bit less velocity than H110. For subs in a silenced AR, 1680 is the safest for cycling but also the loudest choice. 4227 and Lil Gun are quieter but less certain of full bolt lock back. 

Edited by ben b.

I have always used lil gun for 300 blk.

110 sierra HP varmit 20.1 gr and 220 eld-x 8.0 gr are my super and sub loads. Both very accurate and work in my ar pistol suppressed. The subs will not always lock back on an empty mag unsuppressed

Edited by Chillywig

On 11/17/2019 at 12:03 AM, ben b. said:

H110 is darn good for supersonics. If you have any IMR 4227 it works pretty well, a bit less velocity than H110. For subs in a silenced AR, 1680 is the safest for cycling but also the loudest choice. 4227 and Lil Gun are quieter but less certain of full bolt lock back. 

So far H110 has worked great, rifle is reliable and accurate enough. So far I have only shot 200 rounds out to 115yards but no issues to report. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use AA1680, H110/296, and Lil'Gun. All three powders work well for both supersonic and subsonic loads. Lil'Gun gives less flash and blast than the other two, but in some loads H110 is more consistent. 1680 provides more gas to help marginal subsonic loads cycle better, with the trade off of more noise when suppressed. Lil'Gun is usually the quietest of the three for suppressed subsonic loads in my rifles (a 9" and a 16", pistol gas in both), although H110 does better in certain loads. 

Using those powders as appropriate, both of my 300 Blk ARs will cycle suppressed subsonics as low as 180gr jacketed or 200gr cast/coated, as well as 125-130gr supersonics with no changes or adjustments. 

If you want really quiet suppressed subsonic loads that do not cycle the action, use a faster pistol powder; almost anything in the burn rate range of Unique & Universal or faster can work well. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2019 at 11:24 AM, ltdmstr said:

H110 for standard loads.  Trail Boss for subsonic.

I’ve  got some TB and Hornady 208 AMax Bullets. What would be a good starting point with this combo? 

also, is it necessary to run rifle primers or will small pistol work?

thanks!

32 minutes ago, Sdlrodeo said:

I’ve  got some TB and Hornady 208 AMax Bullets. What would be a good starting point with this combo? 

also, is it necessary to run rifle primers or will small pistol work?

thanks!

Sorry, I don't have TB data for sure for anything that heavy.  But I seem to recall that 10g with a 180 was popular for a while.  I'd suggest you do some research before you try it.  For primers, I'd stick with rifle primers bc you're probably looking at 30k+ psi.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Sorry, I don't have TB data for sure for anything that heavy.  But I seem to recall that 10g with a 180 was popular for a while.  I'd suggest you do some research before you try it.  For primers, I'd stick with rifle primers bc you're probably looking at 30k+ psi.

Copy that. I really just started with the 300 so I’m not in a hurry. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 5:31 PM, Czgunsalot said:

If only you were running a 8.5. I have a Quick load spread sheet for i

h110

lilgun 

and imr 4227

Hey! Would you mind sharing the data with me? Just got a 8.5" and looking to reload super and sub loads. I've loaded for a 16", curious how they compare. Thanks!