Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion Recoil Spring

jwilkinson6

With around 1000rds through my X5 Legion, I can tell this factory 12# recoil spring is not going to last more than a few thousand rounds at a time. I’ve seen guys using 1911 springs as replacements, but where can the factory recoil spring be purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: I would buy a better recoil spring for a 1911. ISMI and Sprinco are two that I like to use since they measure closer to what they should be. They also last a very long time. Wolff also make springs for 1911's and they could be what Sig is using? Thanks, Eric

6 hours ago, Gary1911A1 said:

The Wilson flat wire springs are shorter than regular 1911 recoil springs and they may last longer and I bet will be easier to insert on reassembly.

I have not measured the diameter of the factory guide rod but the flat wire springs require the diameter of the guide rod be =< 0.25", I think.

When I re-install the SIG spring, I use a chop stick that I got from a Chinese restaurant. I put the spring on the guide rod and then insert the chop stick. The chop stick will prevent the spring from bending/ kinking. Much easier.

With around 1000rds through my X5 Legion, I can tell this factory 12# recoil spring is not going to last more than a few thousand rounds at a time. I’ve seen guys using 1911 springs as replacements, but where can the factory recoil spring be purchased?

http:// https://www.sprinco.com/springs.html

I actually made a point to look for these before I even posted. Thank you for helping me realize I’m a dumbass.

The x5s I’ve handled with the shorter government model 1911 springs in them have felt like they’re not working properly. So I wanted to stick with what Sig built the guns on. That may change but right now I don’t have a reason to not stick with them.

I actually made a point to look for these before I even posted. Thank you for helping me realize I’m a dumbass.

The x5s I’ve handled with the shorter government model 1911 springs in them have felt like they’re not working properly. So I wanted to stick with what Sig built the guns on. That may change but right now I don’t have a reason to not stick with them.

Nah. While the Wolff 1911 government springs are shorter in length I believe a 14# version of it will be close to the Sig/Springco 12#. I think the Sig spring can go 10k. After 2k rounds in mine I haven’t noticed a drop in tension.

I have around 5000 through mine now and it still feels pretty much like it did at 1000.  Of course, I could be just used to it and not noticing any change.  I may have to do a little spring testing pretty soon.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:16 PM, jaep1911 said:

I have not measured the diameter of the factory guide rod but the flat wire springs require the diameter of the guide rod be =< 0.25", I think.

When I re-install the SIG spring, I use a chop stick that I got from a Chinese restaurant. I put the spring on the guide rod and then insert the chop stick. The chop stick will prevent the spring from bending/ kinking. Much easier.

I forgot it's a smaller diameter. You are right.

Hello: I shot my regular P320 X5 with the legion grip this mourning. I tried 11, 12.5 and a 14lb ISMI recoil springs with a tungsten and steel guide rods. Load is my 124 grain bullet with Clean Shot powder. The 12.5lb spring with the steel guide rod was the best setup for quick splits and transitions for me. The Tungsten guide rod and Legion grip is a little too heavy for me. So those with a P320 X5 Legion just get a 12 or 12.5lb recoil spring and shoot it alot. Thanks, Eric

On 10/4/2019 at 1:12 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I shot my regular P320 X5 with the legion grip this mourning. I tried 11, 12.5 and a 14lb ISMI recoil springs with a tungsten and steel guide rods. Load is my 124 grain bullet with Clean Shot powder. The 12.5lb spring with the steel guide rod was the best setup for quick splits and transitions for me. The Tungsten guide rod and Legion grip is a little too heavy for me. So those with a P320 X5 Legion just get a 12 or 12.5lb recoil spring and shoot it alot. Thanks, Eric

Good to know thanks 

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2019 at 2:12 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

I was curious as to why you came to that conclusion? I’m playing around with the same thing. I had the Org xfive and loved it, just got the legion and I’m kind of missing my old one. I’m finding my follow up shot on double taps is low and thinking it may be that guide rod.. Headed to the range today to play around with set ups. I’m not a heavily versed in the tech side of setting these up, I’m used to just shooting what I’ve been given and STFU. I know I need more time behind this weapon but so far I feel like the org was tighter. 

• 5 months later...