Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Racker ?

TANFARM

Depending on your grip low rackers on the left side (if you’re right handed) can interfere with gripping the gun, and potentially your strong hand thumb when the gun cycles. I have a STI dvc and my racker is swapable, so i put it on the right side to avoid ripping my thumbnail off. I would prefer it to be on the left side, but the one that came with the gun sits too low and I haven’t paid to change it out with something that’s angled higher.

That’s why you see some rackers designed with a bend backwards and up. To move it back away from the support hand and up away from the strong hand thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, TANFARM said:

Silly question perhaps.....what up with the radically angled racker design vs the traditional flat version......looks awkward to the unknowing eye!

Which manufactures are you referring to? I know infinity just came out with a new one that has a high rise to it.

Ripped my thumb nail back a few too many times and always bend mine way up like the ape hanger infinity one above. 

I called to get one from infinity like the one above a week or so ago but the sticker shock price tag kept me from going through with it. 80$ for a slide racker....

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the bent ones have a purpose. the Atlas guns come with them and stay out of the way of the *thumb rest [generic]*.  they also double as a kick stand if you don't use a thumb rest for table starts.  I like the Zig racker the best.  its the easiest to find without looking at the gun.

The atlas ones come stock bent like echo mentioned. I have one of them as well as a Brazo’s zig racker that I cut the last  bend out so it would be shorter and I could swap it to the other side without interfering with ejection. 
https://atlasgunworks.com/product/atlas-gunworks-ape-hanger-racker/

Edited by jbultman

The New SV tall boy racker looks like money. I find a 90 degree angle is easier to pinch on unloaded table starts or clearing malfs. as opposed to a 45 degree. The new SV looks similar to the Limcat rackers or the Sebo weapons racker for the Cmate. higher-slide-racker.jpg.066591a00e3fa254046c229b73a47d9e.jpg

Edited by accu9
typo

This may seem like a dumb question, is there a reason why slide rackers on 2011 Open guns almost always farther forward on the slide than rackers on Tanfo/CZ Open guns? The Tanfo/CZs use the rear sight dove tail, but the 2011s always seem to be closer to the ejection port than they are to the rear of the slide.

The whole thumbnail issue is because the racker is in front of the thumb, whereas on the Czechmate, for example, it is right above the thumb, so if it hits it will do so as the slide is coming forward. It also gives you less clearance with the optic. It seems like all these super tall, swept back racker designs are addressing a design issue that is simply solved by moving the dovetail back an inch. 

The only answer I can come up with is that it puts your hand an inch closer to the grip so when you go to require your grip it's a tiny bit faster, but so many of the rackers that address the issue are swept back that this doesn't seem to hold water. 

This may seem like a dumb question, is there a reason why slide rackers on 2011 Open guns almost always farther forward on the slide than rackers on Tanfo/CZ Open guns? The Tanfo/CZs use the rear sight dove tail, but the 2011s always seem to be closer to the ejection port than they are to the rear of the slide.

The whole thumbnail issue is because the racker is in front of the thumb, whereas on the Czechmate, for example, it is right above the thumb, so if it hits it will do so as the slide is coming forward. It also gives you less clearance with the optic. It seems like all these super tall, swept back racker designs are addressing a design issue that is simply solved by moving the dovetail back an inch. 

The only answer I can come up with is that it puts your hand an inch closer to the grip so when you go to require your grip it's a tiny bit faster, but so many of the rackers that address the issue are swept back that this doesn't seem to hold water. 

The stock Czechmate racker sucks. It doesn’t leave enough room between the racker and the safety so it’s possible to hit it on the draw.

Sebo sells a version that extends up before it goes out that fixes the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Matt1 said:

The stock Czechmate racker sucks. It doesn’t leave enough room between the racker and the safety so it’s possible to hit it on the draw.

Sebo sells a version that extends up before it goes out that fixes the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I personally have the Shooter’s Connection sidewinder on mine (it fits the dovetail) to give me a bit more clearance from the optic and on the draw, but even a slight bend on the factory one gets rid of that issue. I’m specifically wondering about why 2011 rackers are all so far forward in light of the thumbnail issues. 

12 hours ago, regor said:

Yes, I personally have the Shooter’s Connection sidewinder on mine (it fits the dovetail) to give me a bit more clearance from the optic and on the draw, but even a slight bend on the factory one gets rid of that issue. I’m specifically wondering about why 2011 rackers are all so far forward in light of the thumbnail issues. 

Most 2011 open slides are heavily lightened in the rear (swoop cut). As such, there is not enough meat to mount a racker where a dovetail would traditionally be cut. 

155470649_SwoopCuts.thumb.JPG.941660b87415206d9229f09db5ed6197.JPG

34 minutes ago, accu9 said:

Most 2011 open slides are heavily lightened in the rear (swoop cut). As such, there is not enough meat to mount a racker where a dovetail would traditionally be cut. 

155470649_SwoopCuts.thumb.JPG.941660b87415206d9229f09db5ed6197.JPG

Ah, and I suppose that’s done so that you can keep plenty of metal up near the breech for strength purposes? 

14 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Does anyone have pictures of a slide racker installed on a Limited gun? Thinking of installing one so curious as to location, type and means that others have used.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, Joeyxbat said:

How did you bend the slide racker on your CM?  Ive been wanting to do it but i have not clue on how to do it. 

I recall someone mentioning this in a thread on the CZ forum. They said clamp the flat in a vice, wrap the handle portion in tape to protect the finish, and bend it over with a hammer.