Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cleaning the comp

MRBerg

You didn't mention what you soaked it in...

I soak mine in Kroil and it really helps.  After an overnight soak, I use a brass punch to remove the bulk of the build up and it breaks away from the metal.  I then use a needle file to gently clean the rest out.

1 hour ago, N3WWN said:

You didn't mention what you soaked it in...

I soak mine in Kroil and it really helps.  After an overnight soak, I use a brass punch to remove the bulk of the build up and it breaks away from the metal.  I then use a needle file to gently clean the rest out.

Wipe out bore cleaner not the foam 

7 hours ago, MRBerg said:

I take it you plug the bore before blasting to keep it out do you tape off the outside so you don't mess up the finish Thanks in advance

Ron  

Yes, I use a foam ear plug and plug the end of the barrel.  Then I slide a rubber glove over the barrel, tape it and hot glue it in the corner where the the barrel meets the comp. Seals everything off except the comp.  

Edited by echotango

got her all cleaned up bead blasted it looks brand new it was over an 1/8" thick in bottom Thanks for all the help and tips this is my first 2011 I haven't even got to shoot it yet 

Ron 

1 hour ago, MRBerg said:

got her all cleaned up bead blasted it looks brand new it was over an 1/8" thick in bottom Thanks for all the help and tips this is my first 2011 I haven't even got to shoot it yet 

Ron 

👍

Once you get it clean, I've been told to use welding splatter spray. Prevents the build up. I've not seen a heavy buildup yet but plan on doing a heavy inspection and cleaning of all my guns in a couple weeks after the season ends. 

A shaped up 6D or #11 will work. Your best bet is to find literally any .125” diameter chunk of steel to use, mine is a little over 2” long. An old drill bit would be perfect.

No method of soaking or spraying can even compare to this for the time it saves.

34 minutes ago, B_Seehawer said:

A shaped up 6D or #11 will work. Your best bet is to find literally any .125” diameter chunk of steel to use, mine is a little over 2” long. An old drill bit would be perfect.

No method of soaking or spraying can even compare to this for the time it saves.

I wonder how a paint can opener would work? Rounded edges even. 

• 8 months later...
19 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and peroxide.  Soak it while you clean the rest of the gun up, or for about an hr, clean with a qtip.  

Will this strip all the oil off also? I was thinking of just taking my entire barrel with the comp attached and submerging it in this solution while I clean the rest of the gun