Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cleaning the comp

MRBerg

1 hour ago, hmg1 said:

Ultrasonic cleaner with simple green in it.

The best I used was Outers Foul Out, but that has been discontinued.

Foul out is awesome.  You can clean a barrel until it looks shiny clean and put it in the Foul Out and be amazed at the amount of crud it collects.  There used to be some posts online for how to make your own and what to use for fluids.  Probably still out there somewhere. 

Edited by ltdmstr

For really caked on crap the bead blaster is a must. It is the easiest way I have found. I shot lots of home cast through my blaster. It was the best way to clean.

I have since switched to JHP. When I dry fire I add some #9 to the comp. It keeps the comp clean.

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 1:19 PM, AverageJoeShooting said:

Will this strip all the oil off also? I was thinking of just taking my entire barrel with the comp attached and submerging it in this solution while I clean the rest of the gun

Be careful using this method. It will pit/tarnish bare metal. When you mix these you are creating peracetic acid. It will most definitely remove bluing. I found this out myself firsthand. I highly recommend against this method. 

For my 22 comp I use a drill bit slightly smaller than the comp cuts. For my 9mm I'm only shooting TMJ/JHPs.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, hmg1 said:

Ultrasonic cleaner with simple green in it.

The best I used was Outers Foul Out, but that has been discontinued.

Do just submerge the whole barrel when you do this? How long do you run it? I have some simple green concentrate that I have used in my ultrasonic diluted with water for cleaning other things.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, ltdmstr said:

Foul out is awesome.  You can clean a barrel until it looks shiny clean and put it in the Foul Out and be amazed at the amount of crud it collects.  There used to be some posts online for how to make your own and what to use for fluids.  Probably still out there somewhere. 

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8727577&postcount=6

https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/outers-foul-out-cop-out-plus-and-lead-out-plus-recipe.119026/post-2004607

Nolan

5 hours ago, ezra650 said:

Be careful using this method. It will pit/tarnish bare metal. When you mix these you are creating peracetic acid. It will most definitely remove bluing. I found this out myself firsthand. I highly recommend against this method. 

For my 22 comp I use a drill bit slightly smaller than the comp cuts. For my 9mm I'm only shooting TMJ/JHPs.

Do just submerge the whole barrel when you do this? How long do you run it? I have some simple green concentrate that I have used in my ultrasonic diluted with water for cleaning other things.

i out the entire upper (slide barrel comp and pins) in the ultrasonic cleaner for 16 mins