Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Powder?

Demus319

I use American Select because the Interwebs told me to. 🙄

When my current supply runs out, I might switch to Sport Pistol which I believe is the same formula in ball form rather than flake. 

If you want a "majority rules" opinion, Clays was the overwhelming choice at last year's Revolver nationals.

Edited by Mcfoto

I really like Clays but I cannot get accurate measuring from a Dillon 550 using Clay's , Clay Dot, or e3 so I've settled on RamShot Competition for 38 Short Colt, 38 Special and 40 S&W revolver loads . It measures accurately , burns clean , not temp sensitive like WST, and has a good recoil "feel" . I usually shoot heavy for caliber coated round nose bullets in all my revolvers . 160 gr. for 38sc , 165 or 170 gr. for 38 special and 190 or 200 gr. for 40 S&W .FWIW.

I am Loving Clay dot right now, started using it when the Australian Clays went away and have not seen a need to switch back. I shoot 147 or 165 coated bullets in short colt brass and have not so much as brushed a chamber on my gun in thousands of rounds, the closest its come to getting cleaned since before last years Nationals is whatever rubs off in the gun bag or may have run out when I oiled it. 

6 hours ago, eggman said:

I really like Clays but I cannot get accurate measuring from a Dillon 550 using Clay's , Clay Dot, or e3 so I've settled on RamShot Competition for 38 Short Colt, 38 Special and 40 S&W revolver loads . It measures accurately , burns clean , not temp sensitive like WST, and has a good recoil "feel" . I usually shoot heavy for caliber coated round nose bullets in all my revolvers . 160 gr. for 38sc , 165 or 170 gr. for 38 special and 190 or 200 gr. for 40 S&W .FWIW.

Alec, if I recall correctly, has a motor or agitator of some sort on his powder drop for his clays to get around that issue.

Dillon sells a "Small Charge" Powder Bar that works very well with Clays/ClayDot.  I load down to 2.7 grains with no issues.

Be very careful of WST it is inverse temperature sensitive, it gets slower the hotter it is.  A buddy at the MW ICORE Regional went way below PF due to it.  He swore it made 800 f/s+ at home and the temps were upper '90's match day.  His readings were 587 to 740.  He needed 770 f/s to make it.

9 hours ago, missed it by that much said:

N320, sport pistol, WST, titegroup in 9mm 38 special and 38 super

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, NoSteel said:

VV N320..

18 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Dillon sells a "Small Charge" Powder Bar that works very well with Clays/ClayDot.  I load down to 2.7 grains with no issues.

Be very careful of WST it is inverse temperature sensitive, it gets slower the hotter it is.  A buddy at the MW ICORE Regional went way below PF due to it.  He swore it made 800 f/s+ at home and the temps were upper '90's match day.  His readings were 587 to 740.  He needed 770 f/s to make it.

I shoot Unique in 38 special with a 158 round nose. Not the cleanest load, but it shoots tiny little groups and it's bulky enough I can't double charge a 38 special case.

In my 625 I shoot Bullseye under a 230 grain round nose. Clay's was cleaner, but it became unavailable so I switched. Bullseye gives good groups and my standard deviation is in the single digits.

16 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

If you want a "majority rules" opinion, Clays was the overwhelming choice at last year's Revolver nationals.

Was that on the survey? I don’t think I saw the survey from last year. 

13 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

Alec, if I recall correctly, has a motor or agitator of some sort on his powder drop for his clays to get around that issue.

Something like this might help as I've polished the Xtra small powder bar but still have trouble with Clay dot and e3 dropping accurately (it's bridging I assume). RS Competition is working great but I have probably a lifetime supply of Clay Dot and e3 that I would like to use up.

Rodney

7 hours ago, MWP said:

Was that on the survey? I don’t think I saw the survey from last year. 

Okay, it wasn't "overwhelming." Guess I was surprised it was even on there. Thanks for keeping me honest.

image.thumb.png.a37c03da0123304800b604e912ccb073.png

Just started working up a new 38 SC load with 158 grain RN coated bullets from Brazos Precision.  I'm roll crimping into the lube groove for an OAL of 1.190.  2.8 of TG gave me five shots from an Uberti 4 3/4 inch bbl at 828 with an sd in single digits.  The cases were pretty clean, as well.  Very little smoke.  I've loaded 6 at 2.6 of TG but ran out of light.  I'm hoping to keep the SD but get closer to 800-810 fps.  I've loaned out my 4 inch 627, and my new (to me) 5 inch 627 PC won't be in until Monday, so I won't be loading a ton until the new blaster arrives.   

TG is looking promising, though.  Bullseye gave me good numbers, but was very smoky with my hand cast bullets and Lee Liquid Alox.

Jason

17 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

3 hours ago, eggman said:

Something like this might help as I've polished the Xtra small powder bar but still have trouble with Clay dot and e3 dropping accurately (it's bridging I assume). RS Competition is working great but I have probably a lifetime supply of Clay Dot and e3 that I would like to use up.

Rodney

Clays meters like poo under like 3.8 grains or so.

I've found success getting a constant 3.2 grain drop with clays using the Xtra Small powder drop bar, and using a cheap fish tank air pump ( emphasize on the cheap, cheaper the better so it vibrates more ) just taped to my powder drop. 

mXnOfZT.jpg