Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 9mm decapping die E clip breaking

What would cause the clip to break? Do they just wear out? I had 2 pin setups for the die and broke one about a month ago. About 5K on it. The pin looked fine, not bent or broken. Replaced the whole pin/spring.clip & this one broke last night.

This pin had a slight bend to it. About 2K on this one.

Decapping range brass, might have some military sealed primers in the range brass.

Ordered a 10 pack of each from Dillon, pins & clips.

I have always used Lee decapping/sizing dies before, but when they rebuilt the press a few months ago they replaced my Lee with a Dillon die. It has worked perfect until recently all brass is sized correctly.

gerritm

I think it’s just the nature of the beast. It’s a spring loaded decapper, it’s literally getting hammered every time it decaps. I’ve probably broken 10. You can grab them at a hardware store. 1/4” E clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gerritm said:

What would cause the clip to break? Do they just wear out? I had 2 pin setups for the die and broke one about a month ago. About 5K on it. The pin looked fine, not bent or broken. Replaced the whole pin/spring.clip & this one broke last night.

This pin had a slight bend to it. About 2K on this one.

Decapping range brass, might have some military sealed primers in the range brass.

Ordered a 10 pack of each from Dillon, pins & clips.

I have always used Lee decapping/sizing dies before, but when they rebuilt the press a few months ago they replaced my Lee with a Dillon die. It has worked perfect until recently all brass is sized correctly.

gerritm

Just did the same a week ago, ordered the e-clips and pins fro Dillon. I have so far broken 4 or five of them, mainly when I load 38 spl, and one each in 9 and .45.

All of the clips had several thousand of rounds loaded. In my case, they break and the parts fly all over my shop. Remember, always wear glasses when loading! Not only can primers blow up on you, but you can get hit by small steel pieces from the disintegrating clips! When I change the clip, I also change the pins.

4 hours ago, gerritm said:

Feel better cause each had several thousand rounds on it. Funny thing is I have never been able to find the pieces or clip. Looked all over.

Thanks, 

gerritm

Found half of the last one that snapped some 12 feet away on another work bench - behind me where I normally stand - must have flown right by my head. The other half had snapped in two pieces and one was close by the press, the other one is still unaccounted for. You see they can be quite dangerous, so wear protection for you eyes.

32 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

Found half of the last one that snapped some 12 feet away on another work bench - behind me where I normally stand - must have flown right by my head. The other half had snapped in two pieces and one was close by the press, the other one is still unaccounted for. You see they can be quite dangerous, so wear protection for you eyes.

One of the main reasons why I ditch the Dillon sizing/decamping die and went with a Redding.

Have broken 2 both had a peace of MAXXTECH brass in/under the die.

Both times  over 20k rounds had been loaded. E clips can be bought at 

any hardware store(Lowes ,Home Depot, Ace, etc)

It's not a big deal. Go to the hardware and buy them (1/4" e clip). These things take shell of a beating with the spring loaded decapping pin. They only have the three small "fingers" supporting them. Work well, cheap and available. Worry about something else.

5 hours ago, CZp-01 said:

If you're local to a Harbor Freight, they'll actually sell a variety box of e-clips for short money. 

Considering these are cheap as hell I wouldn't waste time with bargain brands. 

Unless you're enamored with Dillon resizing die why not switch to a Lee, where the decapping pin releases (moves) when there's too much force.  I have both setups (Dillon and Lee) both seem to work fine, however if I start breaking Jesus clips, I'm going to retire the Dillon, as the Lee is super solid and only requires the locking collar to be re-tightened if you end up trying to decap a .40 with a 9mm case stuck inside it.

11 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Unless you're enamored with Dillon resizing die why not switch to a Lee, where the decapping pin releases (moves) when there's too much force.  I have both setups (Dillon and Lee) both seem to work fine, however if I start breaking Jesus clips, I'm going to retire the Dillon, as the Lee is super solid and only requires the locking collar to be re-tightened if you end up trying to decap a .40 with a 9mm case stuck inside it.

I actually replaced the Dillon die with a Lee when the E clip broke. I have always used Lee Decapping dies until I sent the unit back for a rebuild having issues with the 9mm brass tilting going into the first die. Dillon completely rebuilt my 650 & installed one of their decapping dies and gave me back the Lee. 

There is a little more forgiveness in the Dillon die mouth than the Lee. The brass goes in more smoothly & I like the feel. It works well & sizes the brass correctly as I case gauge every round.

gerritm

On 7/16/2019 at 2:25 PM, George16 said:

One of the main reasons why I ditch the Dillon sizing/decamping die and went with a Redding.

Same with me, I got tired of having clips break in the middle of a reloading session and holding everything up. I only loaded about 2k rounds with the Dillon dies and had 4 clips break on me. I’ve loaded about 8k with the Redding sizing die and have had zero issues with the die.