Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold says 18 days to repair my new DPP

Trevor300wsm

I ordered a new Delta Point Pro last month. Had it on the gun less than 2 weeks. Had less than 250 rounds on it. Go to my first match and get half way thru the first stage and it dies. In summary, the bottom battery contact broke loose and moved causing the failure. I sent it off to repair last week. I get an email last night saying it will be 18 days to repair and the shipping time.....so I’m guessing overall about a month. I can’t afford to lose a months worth of shooting/practice time. This is something I’m planning to peruse and put a lot of time and effort into. A month of down time is huge when I normally shoot everyday. So....my question is do I buy another DPP or try a different option? The Holosun 507C seems to be very popular and a new mounting plate will only cost me $38 from CZ Custom. A Trijicon is not an option. The window is too small. I can currently get a new 507C for $229 or a new DPP for $320. Any other ideas, suggestions, advice? 

I thought Leupold was close to a fix for this.  It’s frustrating that so many fail from this.  

Are you shooting CO?  If so will a 507 with a plate put you over the weight limit.  

I suspect your best bet is to buy another DPP.   Sometimes good deals pop up here.  I have two, between the both, they have been back to Leupold 4 times, including one I just shipped yesterday.  That one crapped out on me this sat halfway through a Brandon Wright class !!!  Not happy.

All returns were for the same thing, the center contact being shifted.  This contact is held down with only a piece of cellophane tape.  Pretty cheezy.

15 minutes ago, chenault said:

Are you shooting CO?  If so will a 507 with a plate put you over the weight limit.  

CO, but the 507 would go on my back up P10F so I’m nowhere close to the 45oz weight limit. The repaired DPP would go back on my milled S2 slide. 

10 minutes ago, GregJ said:

I suspect your best bet is to buy another DPP.   Sometimes good deals pop up here.  I have two, between the both, they have been back to Leupold 4 times, including one I just shipped yesterday.  That one crapped out on me this sat halfway through a Brandon Wright class !!!  Not happy.

All returns were for the same thing, the center contact being shifted.  This contact is held down with only a piece of cellophane tape.  Pretty cheezy.

It seems like there has to be a way to use some type of contact cement to encase that bottom contact in so that it can’t break lose. I have some ideas, but of course it would void my warranty if I did it. 

9 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

I highly suggest having a backup dot for your gun regardless of manufacture of said dot. They all break. Have a backup plan.

^^ This. 

Everyone I know who is really into CO has 2 dots, minimum. I know some people who have 1 on the main gun, 1 on the back up, 1 out for repair and 1 in the box waiting. My 600$ trijicon had issues, my 250 vortex had issues. People will chime in and say they had something flawless but I don't know anyone nor does my personal experience match having a dot go even 6 months without an issue, let alone even 2k rounds.

55 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Everyone I know who is really into CO has 2 dots, minimum. I know some people who have 1 on the main gun, 1 on the back up, 1 out for repair and 1 in the box waiting. My 600$ trijicon had issues, my 250 vortex had issues. People will chime in and say they had something flawless but I don't know anyone nor does my personal experience match having a dot go even 6 months without an issue, let alone even 2k rounds.

Agreed.  They all suck.  Just have backups and rotate as they die.  I have 5 RTS2's in rotation and SRO's on order.  Although not hip on the thread that it doesn't hold zero. 

Edited by echotango

1 hour ago, Trevor300wsm said:

I ordered a new Delta Point Pro last month. Had it on the gun less than 2 weeks. Had less than 250 rounds on it. Go to my first match and get half way thru the first stage and it dies. In summary, the bottom battery contact broke loose and moved causing the failure. I sent it off to repair last week. I get an email last night saying it will be 18 days to repair and the shipping time.....so I’m guessing overall about a month. I can’t afford to lose a months worth of shooting/practice time. This is something I’m planning to peruse and put a lot of time and effort into. A month of down time is huge when I normally shoot everyday. So....my question is do I buy another DPP or try a different option? The Holosun 507C seems to be very popular and a new mounting plate will only cost me $38 from CZ Custom. A Trijicon is not an option. The window is too small. I can currently get a new 507C for $229 or a new DPP for $320. Any other ideas, suggestions, advice? 

I'd order a Trijicon SRO. The new window on the SRO is huge in comparison to the RMR and the electronics carry the same reliability. 

As others have said, if you're serious about this game you need a backup. Not just a backup optic but a whole backup gun. There's nothing worse than not finishing a match because something breaks. Something WILL break. For those of us that run things hard it's just a matter of time. Buying the good stuff you tend to spend less over the long run and have much less downtime. 

People talk about the epic reliability of trijicon, but they had issues when first released also if I remember right.  I also don’t know of very many with high round counts, so I expect the SRO to have its own growing pains.  

I did did have a Romeo 1 that seemed bulletproof, but I wanted the bigger window.  I’m now kind of missing that optic.   

37 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

This is most guys in open as well. Maybe add more to the repair que. lol

3 hours ago, Trevor300wsm said:

Where are you getting new DPP for $320?

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

I don't know anyone nor does my personal experience match having a dot go even 6 months without an issue, let alone even 2k rounds.

Raises hand

I’m at 2 years and just over 5k rounds on one DPP 2.5MOA. 

But not because Leupold is amazing or something. RMR, RTS2, DPP, nothing it up to the abuse of slideride with our kind of round counts. I just got one of the more durable ones.

It’ll die eventually. Every dot does.

Fingers crossed that the SRO actually holds up for 30k per year, because someone really needs to do it.

My first DPP has about 10k on it. I'm afraid to change the battery.  Ha. 

It's only a matter of time. 

I have 2 currently and I'm looking to pick up another one or two. Back up for my back up. 

18 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Raises hand

I’m at 2 years and just over 5k rounds on one DPP 2.5MOA. 

But not because Leupold is amazing or something. RMR, RTS2, DPP, nothing it up to the abuse of slideride with our kind of round counts. I just got one of the more durable ones.

It’ll die eventually. Every dot does.

Fingers crossed that the SRO actually holds up for 30k per year, because someone really needs to do it.

I've got some 1000's through mine mounted to the slide of a minor PF gun... nary an issue.

19 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I don't shoot CO, but it sounds like the state of the art equipment

is NOT ready to support the sport.    :(

Can't mount on the frame ?

Not in Carry ops

I currently have 3 DPP bought them all use

$250

$260

$300

i have about 3k on one it’s been good.  When I don’t use it I leave the battery lid open.  Idk if that has anything to do with it. 

But yeah gotta have back ups

SRO I’m going to wait maybe a year cause of all the kinks they need to work out.  With a price of a new SRO  you can get 2 DPP used and just ship it back to Leupold it lifetime warranty who cares.

Have 3 and you’ll have a good cycle 2 on a gun and one at or coming back from Leupold 😉

I appreciate all the replies to this. Ill go ahead and order a new DPP unless I find a used one for sale in the next 24hrs. But a used may just be someone else's broken one as well. I hate not being able to shoot. The last two days ive been just carrying around the frame of my S2 indexing on targets and transitions and mag changes. Don't have a slide on it, but I can still grip it and point and slam a mag in it.

1 hour ago, Trevor300wsm said:

I appreciate all the replies to this. Ill go ahead and order a new DPP unless I find a used one for sale in the next 24hrs. But a used may just be someone else's broken one as well. I hate not being able to shoot. The last two days ive been just carrying around the frame of my S2 indexing on targets and transitions and mag changes. Don't have a slide on it, but I can still grip it and point and slam a mag in it.

What are you looking for 2.5 or the triangle