Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Failsafe rod question

New 550 on the bench and to get the powder measure crank to function up and down halfway smoothly I have to set it so the failsafe rod is leaning what seems to me as too much to the right.

Does this look correct?

I loaded some 308 with it leaning like this with my first run with the press today. It was leaning just like this but seemed to work but still bothering me so I set up this additional powder hopper to run 6.5 Creedmoor just to see if it would be the same and it’s exactly the same.

My 650 doesn’t lean like this but it also has some offset built into the rod.

232AF9A7-664C-465D-8584-DC2852665B82.jpeg

10 hours ago, George16 said:

Your fail safe rod is also off by 180* if you compare it to Claybuster’s picture.

His failsafe rod is installed properly.  Claybuster's rod is not.  

https://www.usermanuals.tech/d/dillon-precision-rl-550b-instruction-manual/part1#1

In other words, it is important to put your rod in holes in the proper order😂

Just now, Balakay said:

His failsafe rod is installed properly.  Claybuster's rod is not.  

https://www.usermanuals.tech/d/dillon-precision-rl-550b-instruction-manual/part1#1

In other words, it is important to put your rod in holes in the proper order😂

You’re right. My eyes didn’t see the orientation of the press correctly. 😂 

The person that put his backward was probably having the same issue I am...

I realize that if I rotate it would be straight but then it’s doesn’t work properly. 

If I rotate any further to the left the powder crank hangs badly on the way up and really bad on the way down almost to the point of binding up. 

Edited by venatic

Just set up 2 presses for some friends  both had issues with fail safe rod.

The bends are off. They need to be 90 degree bends . they were not.

A little time with pliers and a vice fixed both . But I had a good rod to go by.

This may be your issue.

29 minutes ago, AHI said:

Just set up 2 presses for some friends  both had issues with fail safe rod.

The bends are off. They need to be 90 degree bends . they were not.

A little time with pliers and a vice fixed both . But I had a good rod to go by.

This may be your issue.

I had thought about that as well as it’s seems that would fix the issue possibly but my thought was try a second powder setup and see if I got same results... I did.

I still have two more to unbox maybe they will configure better with this rod but doubtful. 

Edited by venatic

17 hours ago, venatic said:

Another picture

9C530AB9-25DA-41D3-99D8-CA58DD28F4D0.jpeg

Looks like it is going into the opening on the bottom of the press at an angle.

Mine all go fairly straight into the tab under the shell plate.

The rod is in the correct orientation but looks like you should rotate the measure clockwise 

At least from what I can tell in the photo

The rod needs to be straight up and down. Use the nut on the bottom of the rod to take all of the slack out of the rod. 

It's pretty easy to make the rod. Simply buy a piece of rod stock the same size as the original, bend an elbow in one end, and use a die to thread the other. That's what I did. I left the short piece at the elbow long enough and threaded it as well, and put a Nylock nut on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Or just ditch the rod.  Use two springs on the powder slide, been doing it this way forever on the 550.   On the 550, you control everything, and should be looking in the case anyway.  I use the old style powder measure though, without the lockout bits.  Not sure if you have to have the rod for the newer KaKlunk style.  I have the newer style on my 1050, however.

MLUugxPh.jpg

Your powder measure isn't lined up right correctly. Rotate the powder measure clockwise until the rod lines up straight with the shoulder washer.  The powder bar should also return smoothly. http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon Manual PDFs/Dillon-RL550B-September-2010.pdf

I clip the wings off the blue stripper wing nut.  I set the wing nut and secure with two nuts sandwiched between a lock washer.

Edited by CSEMARTIN
changed "right" to "correctly" to avoid confusion.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any pictures of my old Dillon presses.  Would someone post a picture of the older powder measure with the return spring/springs.  (some people used two, although they came with one)

Here's a quick pic, essentially just double the springs on the PM, and get rid of the failsafe rod altogether...  Just look in every case as you place the bullet.

WFItrOOl.jpg

eg...

MLUugxPl.jpg

Edited by 78Staff